Bakerloo to Watford Junction

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Also, since Watford Junction isn't shown on the departure board for the northbound trains where it is picking up only, I guess that the people manning the ticket barriers would turn you back.
- Andrew
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

I just asked a Bakerloo line service controller, who says that it is pretty much a certainty that the Bakerloo is going to be re-extended to Watford Junction. He's also mentioned long-term plans for a south-eastern extension via Camberwell to Hayes.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

I think it would be good to see some more tube extension to the south-east boroughs like Lewisham etc., - yes, it's got the DLR... but it's still awkward to get into the city (and slow!!)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I'm actually doing a projects in Graphics about a proposed Bakerloo extension in south London. Good timing :)
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Starkey7 wrote:Similarly, why can't one alight at Watford Junction when travelling north? Is there someone on the platform telling you to get back on the train?
To (theoretically) stop Watford (and, in some cases, Milton Keynes) commuters from filling up Virgin services at the expense of long distance passengers.

In the event of a ticket check taking place between Euston and Watford/Milton Keynes, if you've only got a ticket to Watford/Milton Keynes you'd be treated as not having a valid ticket and liable to pay the full single or return fare to the first advertised stop. On West Coast, that could be Stafford, Stoke-on-Trent or Crewe, depending on what train you get on.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

From my experience with Euston station, on West Coast, the first advertised stop is almost always Milton Keynes or Rugby but occasionally Crewe.

I am also under the impression that the reason Watford northbound is pick up only, and watford southbound set down only (on West Coast) is purely because providing services from Watford to London is not part of the ICWC franchise.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

As Virgin trains effectively do not allow 'local' travel between Euston and Watford Junction, Virgin will not be receiving any revenue from London-WFJ tickets so they would not be keen on letting people travel in this way.

Also, I believe, that because Southbound is set down only, they can depart early if they are able to do so.