Guinness rules interpretation

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
hwolge
Zone 6

Guinness rules interpretation

Post by hwolge »

Lately I've seen quite a few references to people doubling back to cover stations that are temporarily closed in one direction. Why does this not fall into the Guinness exception: :?:
Only if a station is temporarily closed (e.g. for rebuilding, or in an emergency), or if it closes earlier or opens later than normal as a result of rebuilding work, will a non-stop pass through a station be acceptable.
I agree it's not at all a clear cut case, but I'd say it PROBABLY IS :!: permissible to just pass through the station when maintenance work (or whatever) is going on in one direction only. Has anyone heard of any ruling/interpretation from Guinness on this, or is it just a case of "better safe than sorry"?

HÃ¥kan
[/quote]
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tc
Zone 2

Post by tc »

As far as I am aware, it is fine to pass through a station such as Queensway, but it is not OK to pass through Wembley Park NB (Jubilee) as the station is OPEN, but the train doesnt stop there for the maintenance. Therefore, you'd double-back in the Wembley Park case.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Tc, I do see your point, put what does "As far as I am aware" refer to? Is it a rumour? A foregone conclusion? Has someone actually been disqualified by Guinness?

I think the opposite position could easily be argued. I'd say that Wembley Park viewed from a Jubilee NB is closed!

I'm looking for some slightly more tangible evidence pointing in either direction...

Would it be possible to ask Guinness? I guess that's how their T4 rules came about. Does anyone know?

HÃ¥kan
tc
Zone 2

Post by tc »

It came from a disqualification a while back.

With stations like Heathrow T4, and LUL provide a replacement bus service, for that station to count, you must DO that station VIA the bus.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

tc wrote:With stations like Heathrow T4, and LUL provide a replacement bus service, for that station to count, you must DO that station VIA the bus.
Heathrow Terminal 4 is a bit unique because it is not possible to pass through the station whilst closed hence why you must use the bus.
tc wrote:As far as I am aware, it is fine to pass through a station such as Queensway, but it is not OK to pass through Wembley Park NB (Jubilee) as the station is OPEN, but the train doesnt stop there for the maintenance. Therefore, you'd double-back in the Wembley Park case.
I disagree - when a train passes through a platform that is closed for engineering reasons such as Wembley - the train is supposed to progress the length of the platform at 5mph - this is to ensure saftey for anyone working on the platform and also to keep to the standard timetable (No timetable advantage). So yes, a northbound Jubilee line pass through Wembley would be fine. However, Metropolitain line services are different because some do call at Wembley - therefore if you are travelling through Wembley northbound on the Met then it must stop.