East London Line replaced by buses for a few YEARS

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

My, that's pretty.

But that's what the projected map will look like in 2010, once the ELL is no longer a tube.

The clue is in the word 'Overground' on the index.

What will the official tube map show between Dec of this year (when the ELL closes) through until when it re-opens as national rail in 2010?

If it's not on the map (as I suspect it won't be), then you've got yourself a 268 configuration, surely?
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

*scribbles the 16th of February as a day to get off work* it's been far far too long since I've even helped with a challenge.
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

Do let us know further details with respect to the challenge already prescribed for the 16th of February. I am intrigued as to what it is!

I am consulting The Master with a route for the Z1 though, as we will decide sooner to the day (only 29 days off by my counting!) what we do for certain.
Unofficial Z1 challenge, 15th September 2006, 1400 start - Result? 3h29m34s. Disgusting! I want a re-run!
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

geofftech wrote:My, that's pretty.

But that's what the projected map will look like in 2010, once the ELL is no longer a tube.

The clue is in the word 'Overground' on the index.
Yes it obviously is. There is a good article on the London Overground on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Overground
But the person I was replying to said it wouldn't be on the map, not whether it would be shown as a 'tube line'. The difference between those two sorts of lines is going to be very small, actually. I don't really see how the Met. is more of a tube line than the Overground will be, for example.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

43019 wrote:Do let us know further details with respect to the challenge already prescribed for the 16th of February. I am intrigued as to what it is!

I am consulting The Master with a route for the Z1 though, as we will decide sooner to the day (only 29 days off by my counting!) what we do for certain.
Apologies for thread hijack :wink:

The challenge will involve visiting several stations spread out across the entire network the starting station being Hounslow West may possibly give you a clue....... :P

I estimate it will take around 8 hours, possibly less but I don't think there will time for an evening Z1 or anything.....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

Interesting...Still don't know what it is but hey!

Z1 I will probs end up doing solo in the afternoon before the HST Enthusiast Group meeting in the evening. I'll be pumped up on coffee and Tesco Kick on the way to London and carrying on with Dragonforce in my ears...

Final confirmation to come soon.
Unofficial Z1 challenge, 15th September 2006, 1400 start - Result? 3h29m34s. Disgusting! I want a re-run!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

43019 wrote:Interesting...Still don't know what it is but hey!

Z1 I will probs end up doing solo in the afternoon before the HST Enthusiast Group meeting in the evening. I'll be pumped up on coffee and Tesco Kick on the way to London and carrying on with Dragonforce in my ears...

Final confirmation to come soon.
No don't go solo, text or call my mobile when you get to Paddington and we will meet up and you can team up with one of us... :D
If you need my mobile just send a PM......Look forward to seeing you again on the 16th Feb 8)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

My only problem with doing the challenge you suggest is that whilst I am due into London at 1310 (whether I make it for that time relies on Arriva getting me to Newport in time and whether FGW have further problems en-route to London!), I am also hosting the HSTEG meeting in the evening in London, as well as being due out of London off the Cross at 2100. Obviously meaning I will have no time to do this challenge of yours. Which is a great shame, it sounds interesting!

As for the Z1, I'm still trying to make some decisions on it. I really have got the challenge bug at the moment, but I am not sure whether to do it vice number crunching around London instead. If I don't do it on the 16th (although I will take time out to at the least say hello to everyone!), I will be doing it later in the year! Indeed, tangy and I are already trying to find a date that this will be do-able on for both of us! I refuse to accept I can do no better than a shade under 3.5 hours!

EDIT: I could also do part of your challenge at least to grab hold of some further experience, possibly even visiting new stations that I need to mark off! Hounslow West I definately need!

I'll drop you a PM shortly, as I don't have your number.

It'll be nice to meet up with everyone again! It'll have been 5 months since the last meeting I had with everyone by this date! Shocking!