You can almost do it on a Saturday now ...

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tc
Zone 2

Post by tc »

I've heard that Shoreditch will be closed by the end of the year, for good.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Interesting you should say that. An update that I heard t'other day:

I believe that Shoreditch is set to close at the end of Fri 23 December with the rest of the ELL closing a year later.

With the work that needs to be done - It had been suggested that the ELL would reopen at the 2008 timetable change date (i.e Mid December 2007) - although I would only expect that to include the southern end of the line. The line will be completely relaid, signalled and powered.

It is also looking more and more likely that the trains to be used with be the Class 458 'Juniper' units currently in use with South West Trains on the Reading Line - they are likely to still be based at Wimbledon and run empty early morning / late evening to the ELL. As this service will be run by TfL there is no need for it to fall under a franchise such as SET, SWT or Southern
tc
Zone 2

Post by tc »

The ELL has been tipped for the Junipers, but from data I have from a few sources, they'd have to extend Canada Water by a few metres (well, about 10 :))
yayrabies

Post by yayrabies »

Good for the Tube Challenge :D :D
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

tc wrote:The ELL has been tipped for the Junipers, but from data I have from a few sources, they'd have to extend Canada Water by a few metres (well, about 10 :))
They are going to have to make significant changes to Canada Water - my souces tell me that the present platform layout is considered unacceptable for interchange between the tube and National Rail (it's on a gradient for a start). The extension of the platforms is one reason why the cost is so dear of this project. The length of the Juniper units is nigh on standard for a four car EMU so it would prove to be a problem with any stock chosen.

The platform length (I believe) is actually phsyically big enough - it is the location of monitors and signals that would need moving.
Simonguy
Zone 1

Post by Simonguy »

Thank god the ELL is changing hands and Shoreditch is going. It will make planning for the challenge that bit easier. Now all I have cope with are Olympia, the Hammersmith and City past Paddington and the Jubilee line extension. If it wasnt for these I would feel a lot more confident about my schedule. :(
Total Victory
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Seconded :x
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

*Sings*

"I've got a route
Like a bullet I will shoot
'Cross the tracks
On the trains
And the Guinness record I'll gain!"

("You're the kind of train that is running in my brain...")
Last edited by CrunchySaviour on 16 May 2005, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

tpfkar wrote:Seconded :x
thirded :D