Terminal 4 Piccadilly loop reopening?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
hwolge
Zone 6

Terminal 4 Piccadilly loop reopening?

Post by hwolge »

According to: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/downloads/pd ... osures.pdf
the Piccadilly line between Hatton Cross and T123 will be closed Tue 29 Aug 06 - Thu 31 Aug 06. It is listed as a "MAJOR CLOSURE to be confirmed"

Should we take this as final preparation for the loop to reopen? I think so! Comments anyone?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

One fails to see how a closure of a section of the line can be anything BUT major!
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

There is a certain amount of reconnection required.
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

The closure is for new points and signalling to be put into the junction with the T5 branch.
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

If the proposal to create a new 'Terminal 6' goes ahead, am I right in thinking that this will be in the location the new Terminal 5 was planned to be located? This could mean that the tunnel spur originally on the T4 loop intended for T5 could actually be useful...
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

I was under the impression that because of the length of time that the loop has been closed the drivers route knowledge has lapsed, so trains will go around the loop without passengers for a few days. Any ideas if this is before or after this closure?
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Surely it isn't that difficult to drive a train round a loop - trains can only run where their rails take it. Follow the usual procedures with signals & safety, and using a new piece of track shouldn't be any more challenging than a well-worn one.

Or maybe I'm over-estimating train drivers...
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

I knew I had read this somewhere before on this forum!!
moley wrote:A source has confirmed that current plans are for it to reopen from the start of service on Friday 1 September.

The line is to be closed from Hatton Cross to H123 and H4 on Tuesday 29 to Thursday 31 August inclusive.

This will allow the points to be replaced at the loop/direct junction (apparently they need it) - and for minor work to be done at the T5 end of H123.

The Thursday is apparently to allow Train Opps to take their trains EMPTY around the new loop and through the new junction arriving at H123 - none of them have valid route knowledge now and this will be under instruction.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

If none of them have valid route knowledge, then who is doing the instructing?
- Andrew
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

editorsfoot wrote:I was under the impression that because of the length of time that the loop has been closed the drivers route knowledge has lapsed, so trains will go around the loop without passengers for a few days. Any ideas if this is before or after this closure?
That is the case. It will be after the closure, as until the closure trains can't go around the loop. I don't know what the service pattern will be like, as some trains will run around the loop for training, and others run direct to T123 for passengers.