Full timetables...

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
snudge27
All Zones

Full timetables...

Post by snudge27 »

Is it actually possible to get hold of full copies of the timetables for each line as opposed to just the "first and last train" versions? I know that the WTT is distributed to TFL employees, but isn't available in the public domain. I'm happy to do the searching, just a simple yes or no would suffice! :wink:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

You'd have to be a member od staff or know someone who could nick one for you.

Anyway, I've always considered consulting the timetables as "cheating".
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Cheers for that one TG :D
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

How is looking at a timetable cheating? Is looking at the tube map cheating as well?

The Tfl Journey Planner has all of the necessary information available - there is not really any need to look at the working timetable anyway.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I agree with Neil on his view as it being "cheating". Notice the quotation marks. My view is that as the printed timetables are not in the public domain, it would, in my view, be considered as having an unfair advantage, and this "cheating". Mind, if you want to rely on a Northern Line timetable, then best of luck!
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

All the times are in the public domain aren't they? You could see all of them in the time planner on t he tfl website. You could compile the timetables yourself in case you have a lot of time on your hands and just keep clicking later train I suppose.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

That is so, but unless you have a magnificently long, flexible and fine extension cable, then you cannot access Journey Planner on the day of the attempt!
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

Don't be an idiot Steve - I think he means compile the timetable on paper before the attempt!

Although WiFi on the Underground could be an interesting development...
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Steeevooo wrote:That is so, but unless you have a magnificently long, flexible and fine extension cable, then you cannot access Journey Planner on the day of the attempt!
You can always try and attempt ETA on wap, not that I've had a lot of success even with the best reception.

When I'm planning an attempt I always write down a selection of relevant train times for last trains, bus connections etc depending on what happens to my schedule, so most of us do write our own versions of timetables.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

dr_chris wrote:Don't be an idiot Steve - I think he means compile the timetable on paper before the attempt!
WHOOOOOOOOSH goes the sound of my comment over your head :P
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

Not really.

Incidentally wasn't there supposed to be a trial of wireless internet on the Underground in 2006?
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

sweek wrote:All the times are in the public domain aren't they? You could see all of them in the time planner on t he tfl website. You could compile the timetables yourself in case you have a lot of time on your hands and just keep clicking later train I suppose.
..or let your PC do the job while you are busy having a life! I can testify that is not only possible to do this, but it has been in fact been done, by myself, for the 21st of March 2006 - then we assumed it would hold true for the 22nd when we did our attempt.

BTW I really think this is as far as you can get from "cheating" - it is truly in the public domain.

Also - I'm not sharing it even though it's obsolete now!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Though it's worth bearing in mind that any timetables are only useful when the service is running perfectly, which it rarely does for the entire day.

As soon as something goes wrong (which it will), the timetable goes out the window and trains start turning short, being renumbered, and all that mullarkey.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

TfL are a public body, are they not?

Ever heard of the FOIA?

Interesting typo, I initially put "pubic body". Appropriate.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

So in theory, we could demand copies of the WTT under the FOIA?
Would that be feasible, or does it only apply to certain types of documents?