Guinness "ruling" - Shoreditch still in!

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

How about someone writes a letter and we all sign it.

Like a petition?

Point them towards this forum too ... enlighten them!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Individual letters would be better but we need to agree on the key points, reasons why, and supporting evidence. No point in drafting a standard letter or sending one letter, they are easier to throw in the bin or draft a standard reply!
Beary
Zone 2

Post by Beary »

I would join you.
The next station is Beary's Underground - www.london-underground.de
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I'll send a letter.
I think it might be worth ringing and shouting down the phone at them, though.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I got the same email yesterday, but didn't have access to a computer before today. It ruined my day!

Probably the best thing to do would be to agree on the main points that need to be included, then get someone with a good grasp of English to write a well-constructed letter, which everyone can duplicate and send their own copies of. A bombardment of letters/emails will surely be better than just one signed by many people.

Regardless of whether this gets organised or not, I'll be writing to them myself very shortly.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

jonny wrote: I think it might be worth ringing and shouting down the phone at them, though.
Shouting down the phone won't achieve anything, they will just put the phone down on you.

Seriously before we all start sending off letters we have to agree what our arguement is, saying we can't be bothered it isn't part of the network won't cut much ice. Perhaps it is the History teacher in me that all says we need evidence to support what we say.

As far as I can see the evidence that suggests that Shoreditch should not be included are the permanent closure notice, I have a photo of the poster, perhaps somebody might like to look up reference on the tfl site to the closure.

There is also the issue of the bus, this is not being run by TFL tube but by TFL rail, again perhaps somebody could advertise the reference on the web to this.

Does anybody have any other bits of evidence that can be provided?

I know I am going over old ground but we have to make sure we 'speak with one voice' (sorry for the cliche), but then make our own individual points to show we are not just sending a standard letter that shows us as a load of grumpy old men and women.

If no one else wants to I am willing to write a letter that others can amend, I like to feel I have reasonable command of the English language, although I bet you will all start looking for spelling mistakes in my postings. :wink:
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

From there P.O.V there not asking you to do every bit of line on the network just every station so the fact that the new Shoreditch will be a different piece of track doesn't really matter, the bus that operates now is nearer to the new station that the old I believe as it runs onto the High Street. I'm not sure if that is your only argument but it is a major part of it I believe. I'm sure once Heathrow T4 reopens the Shoreditch bus won't be so bad an will probably be less of an inconvience.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I have a good grasp of English and as the current record holder, they may take some notice of me if I word it correctly.

Member of sweet FA
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Call me inexperienced but I would say the idea of all sending the same, standard letter was quite tacky. I think a more effective way of doing it would be for everyone to write their own letter, worded completely originally and differently, but for everyone to use the agreed points.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I like the idea of us all discussing the points we need to make and then one person writing it all up into ONE letter.

Member of sweet FA
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

I agree that having the support of the current record holder(s) would be of great assistance. I also agree we need to get our arguement straight before going to Guiness, what worries me about writing one letter is that it can be easily read and ignored, regardless of how many people sign it. If do send one collective letter I think people should also not be afraid of sending their own letters, and follow up letters if they don't like the reply they get from Guiness.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

jonny wrote:Call me inexperienced but I would say the idea of all sending the same, standard letter was quite tacky. I think a more effective way of doing it would be for everyone to write their own letter, worded completely originally and differently, but for everyone to use the agreed points.
Yup, I agree with that - everyone just downloading a standard letter and putting their name at the bottom is a bit crap. I too have a fairly good grasp of t'English language (I reckon), but we only need one person to write this letter. We could all sign it at the bottom like a family all signing a Christmas card, or something.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

yes I agree with all that.
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

The only problem with sending one letter is that however many people sign it, it still takes the same amount of time to read. One way we can get things changed is to get Guiness to realise that the only way they will get us to stop writing to them is to change the ruling. If we do send just the one letter then we need to agree on a follow up course of action as well.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

The point that you need to put in the letter is that one or all of:

with Shoreditch tube station now permanently closed since 9 June 2006, and the replacement station being a National Rail station and hence not part of the tube network, we seek you agreement that it is not necessary to use the TfL (National) Rail replacement bus service

As I am sure you will agree - this is in line with the change to the rules when Aldwych station closed in 1994, whereby it was not necessary to continue visiting the previous station building by the variety of bus services provided

You will note that the situation concerning Shoreditch station is distinctly different from that of Heathrow Terminal 4, whereby the station will reopen and the replacement bus service is provided by TfL LU for the duration of the temporary closure