New rules

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

New rules

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Geoff has updated his tubechallenge pages at http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge and has posted details of the new Guinness rules. Some of them are very interesting indeed:

Terminal 4 must be visited. What is interesting here is that the replacement bus service must therefore be used. Could this mean starting at T4 and taking the first bus instead of the first train? Indeed, would this be allowed, since the "record starts when" rules only refer to trains!

An independent witness must be found at least every hour and must sign a statement in a witness book. This could be a big challenge. You'd have to ask fellow passengers unless there was loads of time before the next train: if you asked someone and they started dawdling or couldn't spell or forgot how to write or kept dropping the pen or all sorts of other disasters then a train arrived, you'd have to get on the train and find another witness and it would all be a hassle! Then there's the problem of legible handwriting while on a bumpy moving train.... the complications are endless!

Looks like Geoff and Neil will have the record for quite a while...
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 26 Nov 2013, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Yes, it sounds a bit tougher. However, just a few years ago, you had to bring a bag of film rolls. The evidence value from silver oxide was definitly higher than that from digital bits...

Another question though:

The fact that you HAVE to log the train numbers, does that mean you can't catch a train that's just about to leave? Or is the trainnumber listed anywhere else (like the rear end of train)?

HÃ¥kan
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I was thinking that as well, about the train numbers, but I'm pretty sure it's on the rear of the train. Still a pain if you need to make a quick change and have to wait for the train to leave!
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

yes indeed the train number is on the back of the train as well. having attempted 3 times here's what I've done if I've jumped on the train which was in the platform...

1. Waited until I got off the train so that I could see the back of the train. Not very efficient though as you ideally wanna leg it off a train.

2. If on a longish journey then make ur way down to the front of the train. at the next station jump out, look at train number, hop back on again.

3. this is a problem of course tho if just on a one-stopper, in which case dont write do the number and hope that its ok with Guinness. not ideal, but still legal.

Oh the life of a Tube Geek!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

When Neil and I did it, we missed out just ONE train number all day - the Northbound Northern leaving Morden. We didn't make one up (we could have looked in the WTT's and figured out what it might have been), we just left the column blank, and Guinness accepted it!

I guess that missing out one or two is ok (and expected) but missing out loads is not on.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

When Neil and I did it, we missed out just ONE train number all day - the Northbound Northern leaving Morden. We didn't make one up (we could have looked in the WTT's and figured out what it might have been), we just left the column blank, and Guinness accepted it!

I guess that missing out one or two is ok (and expected) but missing out loads is not on.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I just found something interesting in the official rules. (http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechalleng ... ch2005.doc):
2.Stations which are geographically separate and not linked but which have the same name must each be visited. This applies to Shepherds Bush and Edgware Road.
On the other hand Geoff writes http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/therules.htm
2. Stations which are geographically separate and not linked but which have the same name must each be visited.

This applies to Shepherds Bush, Edgware Road, Paddington and Hammersmith. [All on the Hammersmith & City line!]
Clearly there is an important discrepancy here. Paddington probably makes no difference, but Hammersmith potentially does (at least to me).

Does anyone hava a link to Guinness ACTUAL rules at hand? Is the Word Document that Geoff publishes the latest even?

This would also have implications on the Z1 Challenge rules that are supposed to be a proper subset of the full rules...
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

hwolge wrote:I just found something interesting in the official rules. (http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechalleng ... ch2005.doc):
2.Stations which are geographically separate and not linked but which have the same name must each be visited. This applies to Shepherds Bush and Edgware Road.
On the other hand Geoff writes http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/therules.htm
2. Stations which are geographically separate and not linked but which have the same name must each be visited.

This applies to Shepherds Bush, Edgware Road, Paddington and Hammersmith. [All on the Hammersmith & City line!]
Clearly there is an important discrepancy here. Paddington probably makes no difference, but Hammersmith potentially does (at least to me).

Does anyone hava a link to Guinness ACTUAL rules at hand? Is the Word Document that Geoff publishes the latest even?

This would also have implications on the Z1 Challenge rules that are supposed to be a proper subset of the full rules...

Are you saying you didn't do both Paddingtons during zone 1 last year?!

You do realise that's a disqualifiable offence!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I believe that's history... Besides, protest time has expired!

Besides also, Geoff and Neil were very clear on the rules for Z1C 2005 so we did as they said: http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechalleng ... troute.jpg.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I could easily write to them and ask for a copy of the rules for this challenge and post them up here if anyone wants to see what they actually are right now.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Sounds good, please do! They are not published on the web then, are they?

Were you aware of this Hammersmith/Paddington thing?

I guess Geoff's own writeup of the *old*/new rules mirrors the circumstances of your record, right?
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Just before my first attempt I contacted GWR on the Hammersmith issue, saying that the wording was ambiguous. They eventually got back to me and said that they took the view that Hammersmith was one station and I did not need to visit both the H&C side and the Piccadistrict side.

But the rules have changed since my last serious attempt, so it is still worth checking.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

No way! This is quite a revelation!

And for Hakan to win when everyone else had been doing both Paddingtons! Almost unforgivable!

:o
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The top three were covered by less than a minute if I recall, so doing only one Paddington didn't gain him all that much time.

I'll write to Guinness (or phone them) and see what they say.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA