New rules

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

What's all this now? :shock:

Of course I and Patrick did both Paddingtons during Z1C 2005!

And we'll do them again this year if required...

One could get the impression there are some bad losers out there...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yeah people - does it matter now?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

:lol: Sorry, I ought to have placed that last post in [exaggerated] tags... I didn't really think you could skip one of the Paddingtons... reeeeally....
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

But.. The Hammiersmiths you actually have to leave one building, walk outside, cross two road, and re-enter another building.

Paddingtons you only have to swipe out, not actually leave a building (ie, go out into fresh air).

If Edgware Roads are considered separate, then why aren't the Hammersmiths?
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

The Hammersmiths ARE considered separate, aren' they?

What I don't get is how if both Paddingtons count, why arent there two Kings Cross stations? Transferring from the Vic/Picc/Northern to Circle/Met/Ham & Shitty requires you to swipt out and in ag ain..
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

It's to do with physical separation.

The Edgware Roads are completely separate, as are Hammersmiths.

Paddington is a bit more sketchy but if you ignore the mainline terminus between them then they ARE separate.

Kings Cross is all one station physically. Nothing separate in there. Swiping in/out doesn't come into it.

Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

tubeguru wrote:
It's to do with physical separation.

The Edgware Roads are completely separate, as are Hammersmiths.
But why is the alleged Guinness document (http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechalleng ... ch2005.doc) formulated as it is then?

PFW wrote:
Just before my first attempt I contacted GWR on the Hammersmith issue, saying that the wording was ambiguous. They eventually got back to me and said that they took the view that Hammersmith was one station and I did not need to visit both the H&C side and the Piccadistrict side.
But when did this exchange take place?

Also, Geoff's and Neil's certificates http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/tube7.htm clearly state that they visited all 275 stations...

Contradictions, contradictions... Can anyone clarify?

Tubeguru, you almost promised to contact Guinness on this? Any Progress?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

Since I did my first Tube Challenge (2001 - which I guess would make me quite experienced!?) it has ALWAYS been common knowledge that Hammersmith, Edgware Road, Shepherds Bush and Paddington have 2 stations each. (and theyre all on the H&C Line).
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

It's a mess. I always thought that Guinness had no idea what the ruling actually was.

This is why I predict chaos (and a riot) when the system changes significantly over the next couple of years.

No progress yet.

Member of sweet FA
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

petermiller36 wrote:Since I did my first Tube Challenge (2001 - which I guess would make me quite experienced!?) it has ALWAYS been common knowledge that Hammersmith, Edgware Road, Shepherds Bush and Paddington have 2 stations each. (and theyre all on the H&C Line).
Yes, I would have thought so too, but GWR are not consistant on this. An old copy of the rules I have, dated 16 March 2001 states:

"Stations which are geographically separate and not linked but which have the same name must each be visited. This applies to Shepherds Bush and Edgeware Road"

Knowing Hammersmith Station, I thought that this rule would apply to it and I would have to visit both parts, but I was concerned that Hammersmith was not mentioned specifically. Before my first proper attempt I got in contact with GWR on a couple of matters, and asked for clarification since the route I had would have benefitted from not having to visit both parts of Hammersmith. I got a reply on 17th October 2003 from a member of GWR staff which said:

"Hammersmith counts as a single station"

but then added confusion by adding "...it is not necessary to visit the platforms for both the Piccadilly and District Lines."

But that statement that Hammersmith counts as a single station is (in itself) unequivocal.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

tubeguru wrote:This is why I predict chaos (and a riot) when the system changes significantly over the next couple of years.
Just wondering, but how did Guiness become the official arbitrators for world records? Did they pay to win a franchise, and then renew it? Who awards the franchise? Or did they just take it upon themselves to run it?

It just makes me think that if enough people become dissatisfied, they can always go by their own set of rules and disregard Guiness, essentially a private, unelected company. If we don't like what happens to the rules when the system changes, we can just go by "gentlemen's rules", agreed between ourselves. You might not get an "official" certificate, but you will still have a record, of sorts.

Any predictions on what the new rulings will be when all the changes come in?

I'd have to agree with the chaos and riot theory, which surely will lead to the point where Guiness have an ultimatum:

1) Declare individual records for whatever specification is currently operating, or
2) Declare that there is just one record, no matter what specification is currently running.

The challenge is somewhat unique in that it is always changing. If you are trying to get the record for drinking the most water in an hour, it will always be just that, but the tube challenge seems to change by the day with all the works that are happening on the network.
yayrabies

Post by yayrabies »

Unless you LIKE losing. Dont do the Tube Challenge untill the Heathrow 5 is up and running