Battersea / Nine Elms extension

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
nick468
Zone 1

Battersea / Nine Elms extension

Post by nick468 »

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on any ways one would incorporate the new Battersea and Nine Elms extension into an FNC? I normally do one of the lazy routes, which sees me go Walthamstow down to Brixton, back up to Stockwell then Northern Line to Elephant before the Bakerloo-only stations. Or in the morning going Mill Hill East to Morden.

Seems like I'd be looking at going out to Battersea then doubling back on myself.. All of which adds vital minutes onto the journey!

Nick
nozzacook
All Zones

Re: Battersea / Nine Elms extension

Post by nozzacook »

I do have a plan for it but need to check it out properly. It involves a run/bus combo.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

I'm doing a modified Labyrinth route. Incorporating the extension the current plan is bus from Stockwell to Nine Elms then run to Battersea Power Station travel to Kennington then down to Morden

Will be checking it out beforehand too
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

jrparkin wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 08:33 I'm doing a modified Labyrinth route. Incorporating the extension
who isnt planning a new fnc route to incorporate the nle??
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

As my current route involves doing a double back from Stockwell to Pimlico, I think the quickest route for me would probably be to go up to Pimlico, back to Vauxhall, bus to BPS, down to Kennington then double down to Oval and pick up the previous route.

However as the timings of my route are already incredibly tight in order to make the evening Olympia, squeezing Battersea in isn't going to work, so a whole new route is called for, and it's not easy to plan one at the moment with all the temporary timetables.

I suspect that with the slate being wiped clean most people will opt for a Heathrow start, which is potentially slower but less risky as it gets Olympia out of the way first, in order to get a time on the board.

Of course, whether I feel up to attempting an FNC in October will depend not only on my fitness (not good right now) but also on what mask rules are in place then and how confident I feel on the Tube.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Honestly, why would people put all their suggestions up for how to deal with this? And to the original poster - we are all having to work out how to deal with the new scenario, so why can't you?!

It still amazes me how many people want spoon feeding instead of putting in the hours of time and work...! (Rant over)
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

totally agree
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I think I went over 8-10 different possibilities, but that's all I'm saying :D
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
stepneygreen05
Zone 2

Post by stepneygreen05 »

I'm still hoping to complete once before the extension opens, yet to plan for when it opens however.
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

I haven't thought about it very much, but just assumed you would go there and come back again to Oval or Kennington or wherever the new junction is (can't remember).
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Steeevooo wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 14:08 Honestly, why would people put all their suggestions up for how to deal with this? And to the original poster - we are all having to work out how to deal with the new scenario, so why can't you?!

It still amazes me how many people want spoon feeding instead of putting in the hours of time and work...! (Rant over)
You're going to need to buy a new copy of this record at this rate :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
lucybaell
Zone 1

Post by lucybaell »

Steeevooo wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 14:08 Honestly, why would people put all their suggestions up for how to deal with this? And to the original poster - we are all having to work out how to deal with the new scenario, so why can't you?!

They asked for advice on how to go about incorporating the new stations into the route... not YOUR particular method of doing the station.

Maybe instead of being an insufferable gatekeeper, you could have explained your methodology for any new station i.e. how you would look at timetables to decide at what point in your route your might include it, how you would look at physically nearby stations to see if it's a walkable distance, how you would look at what line it is on to decide if it's absolutely necessary to double back, you could have given any little hint about optimization or route planning. Hell, you could have said nothing and you would have been more useful in answering OP's query.

Not everyone on here has spent decades refining their methodology for adding new stations to their plan, everyone starts somewhere when they pick up any new hobby. They were just asking for advice, god forbid you're polite about it :roll:
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

lucybaell wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 21:39

They asked for advice on how to go about incorporating the new stations into the route... not YOUR particular method of doing the station.

Maybe instead of being an insufferable gatekeeper, you could have explained your methodology for any new station i.e. how you would look at timetables to decide at what point in your route your might include it, how you would look at physically nearby stations to see if it's a walkable distance, how you would look at what line it is on to decide if it's absolutely necessary to double back, you could have given any little hint about optimization or route planning. Hell, you could have said nothing and you would have been more useful in answering OP's query.

Not everyone on here has spent decades refining their methodology for adding new stations to their plan, everyone starts somewhere when they pick up any new hobby. They were just asking for advice, god forbid you're polite about it :roll:
Steeevooo is right many of us have made many attempts and if you are chasing the record then why should you be given an easy ride. We have spent many days riding the tube testing various routes finding they do not work going Back to the drawing board and trying again. It took me 6 months to work up my first route getting all the connections right finding out all the door positions bus connections / runs. Also what might work for me might not work for someone else. It’s not being rude it hard earned information. That a lot of us do not want to give away. My best advice is to get down to the Battersea area and research. We have all had to do it. I gave a little hint further up. It doesn’t mean it he best way just a possible way.

And before you say that’s easy if you live near London I live 278 miles from my nearest tube station.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

lucybaell wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 21:39

They presumably have a route created which incorporates all 270 other stations - they even allude to this in their original post. In which case, why not apply their same methodology to the two new stations? Or, as tube challengers have been doing since tube challenging began, try to think outside the box to explore other options?

As for being an insufferable gatekeeper - I make no apology whatsoever for that. Arguably the largest part of tube challenging (other than sheer luck that there are no incidents on the day) is in the complex multi variate analysis that is performed in deriving a route. To come up with a successful route takes hours of wasted effort, investigations, iterations and sheer hard graft. Regarding Battersea, I'm currently on v35 of trying to devise a route that fits it optimally - I see no reason to apologise for suggesting that other people also put in the hours instead of wanting hints and answers the whole time. Plus I also know the satisfaction of having the eureka moment when it all does come together, a satisfaction that I can assure is far greater than being spoon fed an answer.

Also, if I were so much of an insufferable gatekeeper that I would never divulge any hints or tips, then I'll let you explain why I (along with Golf and Tangy) willingly gave up one of our World Record routes for the Labyrinth project?

tubeguru wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 21:47 [You're going to need to buy a new copy of this record at this rate :)
Ha - I need an autoreply function for this very purpose ;)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Did my first ever challenge at Z1 in 2006 - loved it and was hooked...
Team Brown / Starkey then spent the next 6 months planning a FNC route, researching stations and going out checking buses, distances, timing ourselves over the whole network... Crunching timetables etc... Albeit we all live relatively close to London (furthest away being Worthing) but not once did we ask anyone for help, advice, tips etc...
A hugely satisfying part on the FNC is working things out and researching yourselves...
Have to agree with Steeevooo with regard to that....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold