Thinking out loud

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Thinking out loud

Post by Rhys1995 »

Heres one for you all, start station Leyton, finish station Heathrow T5 for an FNC on a Saturday with night tube. Doable?
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Thinking out loud

Post by greatkingrat »

The problem is the night tube doesn't serve Terminal 4 so for a Heathrow finish it doesn't really help.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Another technical question about the Tube Challenge, (which has probably been asked before at some point in time).

If you've done 269 out of 270 stations but the final station involves getting there by walking / bus, etc, so that the final journey is from station number 270 to the next station which you've already done earlier, I assume you have to count the full length of that final journey in the time even though you've already visited that station.

For example: you're in a position where you've done every tube station except Chiswick Park, and you're at Gunnersbury. You walk from Gunnersbury to Chiswick Park and you take the first train, which happens to be going to say Acton Town.

I assume in this situation you can't stop the clock until you arrive at Acton Town and step onto the platform. You can't just stop the clock the moment the train leaves Chiswick Park, even though technically at that point you have "arrived and/or left from every tube station". Is this correct? I thought I'd better check it.
Last edited by ANDY_JS on 22 Feb 2020, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Correct
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

For example in the film the other team were going to finish at Acton Town but would have stopped watch at Ealing common
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

If you want a time according to Guinness (and forum) rules, then yes. There's something about your foot touching the platform, which you can't do until you arrive at the next station.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

I'm a bit confused about Chiltern Railways at Amersham. I thought the rules said the train had to use the same tracks as the tube, not just the same platforms. At Amersham the Chiltern trains usually leave from one platform and the tube trains from another one. Can you still use the Chiltern trains to do the tube challenge?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

ANDY_JS wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 17:27 I'm a bit confused about Chiltern Railways at Amersham. I thought the rules said the train had to use the same tracks as the tube, not just the same platforms. At Amersham the Chiltern trains usually leave from one platform and the tube trains from another one. Can you still use the Chiltern trains to do the tube challenge?
Both LU and NR trains are able to use all three platforms at Amersham. Just because the majority of Northbound LU trains call at P2 and Northbound NR trains call at P1 doesn't mean that they can't call at the alternate platform (and indeed they do - I'm sure there are a couple of LU trains which terminate at P1) - so where's the issue?
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Somewhat related problem with Chiltern trains, they don't stop at Moor Park. Their next stop after Rickmansworth is Harrow on the Hill so if as the advice goes you 'get the first train' you have to change to a Metropolitan train at Rickmansworth then a second at Moor Park so you don't have a long double back to collect the Watford branch
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

"Get the first train" is broadly speaking decent advice, but there are (as with many rules) exceptions. The case you mention is one of them as it's pretty clearly going to take longer - unless there's something major going on in the far north-west corner so there's no underground trains going from Amersham for some weird reason.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Does anyone else refer to the journey between Farringdon and Kings Cross St Pancras (and vice versa) on the Met/Circle/H&C line as "The Trundle"? :) I do, because it takes so long to make what ought to be a short journey, if it wasn't for the fact that the route pretty much goes in the wrong direction for a while. I'm always trying to think of ways of avoiding making the journey when planning routes.
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Ought to be a short journey? Yes, the two stations are next to each other on the tube map, but a glance at a street map will show that they some distance apart - about 2km. I'm not surprised that it takes an age to travel between them.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 22:14 Ought to be a short journey? Yes, the two stations are next to each other on the tube map, but a glance at a street map will show that they some distance apart - about 2km. I'm not surprised that it takes an age to travel between them.
Still less hassle to change between Thameslink and Underground sub-surface at Farringdon and double back than it is to change at Kings Cross if you aren't in a hurry and can't be bothered to walk the length of St Pancras.

/me grumbles in the corner about the stupid positioning of the Thameslink platforms entrance at St P.
- Andrew
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

why double back at kings cross thats ludocris
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds