Liverpool St - Aldgate - Aldgate East Question

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Elsie
Zone 3

Liverpool St - Aldgate - Aldgate East Question

Post by Elsie »

Hi All, I have a question.

Scenario: You are at Liverpool St and need to visit the two Aldgate Stations to catch either the District (from Aldgate East) or the Circle (Aldgate) to head clockwise towards Embankment.

Would you:

a) Take a H&C to Aldgate East and run/walk back to Aldgate to catch a Circle Line train?
b) Take a Met or a Circle and go to Aldgate and then run/walk to Aldgate East to catch a District Line train?
c) Just catch the first train that arrives and deal with it?

The reason I ask is that (to me), whenever I have taken option A and have gone to Aldgate East to walk back to Aldgate and then catch a Circle Line train, it's taken ages for one to arrive. I get the feeling that if I were to use option B to Aldgate, & walk to Aldgate East, I'd have a better chance of catching (what feels like) a better served District Line.

Or is this something you don't even consider and would catch the first train at Liverpool St? I'm interested to know what experienced people think!

On a side note, I've managed to nab a £10 return deal on Virgin Trains East Coast this Saturday (albeit with a 07:05 train an hour from home) so I'm coming down to "play". One of the things I will be trying is Waterloo-Rail-Vauxhall as it's something I've not done before; I've always stayed on the tube. I'm going to do it as so I know what to do before the Zone 1 Cup next week.
Elsie
dstock17
Zone 5

Re: Liverpool St - Aldgate - Aldgate East Question

Post by dstock17 »

well with the electronic boards there at liv st it ain't hard to figure out statistics say getting a train into aldgate better and running to east.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

A pertinent question since the working timetables changed this week, but personally I haven't worked it out yet.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Look at the boards at Liverpool Street and work out your best option, is shows the next 3 trains....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Topic moved.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

In scenario a) the amount of time you have to make the run is the amount of time between your H&C and the next Circle on the board minus one minute. If you think you can make that run, then if the H&C is the first train out take it.

If you don't think you can make the run, or the next Circle is more than about 7 minutes away, wait for a non H&C, head to Aldgate first and then take a District.

Needless to say if the Met or Circle comes first, take it.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

What Hugo said, or alternatively just double back Aldgate (it can work nicely) and leave AE until later just staying on the train to/from Tower Hill.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)