Even More Olympia Whingeing

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Even More Olympia Whingeing

Post by hopeful traveller »

Firstly, how do you now check whether there are exhibition trains or not? I've done an FOI but there's no response, and I've even tweeted the District Line Twitter account to no avail.

Whoever's running TFL Twitter clearly has no idea what they're doing. I tweeted the Northern Line to ask about whether there would be (say) more Mill Hill East trains on 1-5 Aug (as there's no crossover at Camden Town) and got met with silence.

The GBBF has not mentioned the Olympia service on their travel page this year. The Journey Planner mentions a special bus service (!), but that has been discredited as a method anyway (Marshall, 2012).

I believe Andi & Steve's record was done on a non-exhibition day (although I'm not sure) and I can't make an Olympia train fit into my route. A Heathrow start severely disadvantages the North West corner finish when the route is flipped.

Come on TFL, tell us when the exhibition trains are. Because, in the words of Mr G Marshall, "there's no F in "train"".
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Re: Even More Olympia Whingeing

Post by quisquidillius »

I recently called TfL about this, but to no avail. I was told to use Journey Planner, and that the customer service people were not given such a list of Olympia days.
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The short answer is there aren't any, and it is likely there won't be any in the future.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

So adapt your plans for Olympia it's not hard any good route planner will have plan a,b,c,d etc

For example film route I have 12 plans in place for eventualities the others I work on route if had too.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Indeed, you may find that re-designing the route around a morning (or evening) Olympia can work out quicker than originally planned.

Re-working 'Labyrinth' for an evening Olympia gave me a theory time of 16:14 (at that time equalling the GWR), as opposed to Labyrinth's actual time of 16:44, though of course I don't know what the theory time for Labyrinth was.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

As I say reversing the route severely screws up Amersham/Chesham...
RJSRdg wrote:Indeed, you may find that re-designing the route around a morning (or evening) Olympia can work out quicker than originally planned.

Re-working 'Labyrinth' for an evening Olympia gave me a theory time of 16:14 (at that time equalling the GWR), as opposed to Labyrinth's actual time of 16:44, though of course I don't know what the theory time for Labyrinth was.
I've got a reworked Labyrinth for an evening Olympia that's 1 minute quicker than yours...
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

greatkingrat wrote:The short answer is there aren't any, and it is likely there won't be any in the future.
A longer answer is that the "exhibition" service is mostly bustituted, with details appearing in the (internal) Traffic Circular for the relevant week. Presumably there's some sort of local publicity as well.
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

barrykas wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:The short answer is there aren't any, and it is likely there won't be any in the future.
A longer answer is that the "exhibition" service is mostly bustituted, with details appearing in the (internal) Traffic Circular for the relevant week. Presumably there's some sort of local publicity as well.
Sometimes when I am around Olympia I see the signs for the District Line Olympia Bus Replacement.

I think that there is a service on Friday though, but I'm not sure. Journey Planner says there'll be a bus.
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

While at work I've seen 1 go from either Upminster or barking through to Olympia, I know there's a service on weekends, not sure if it's in the internal stuff, I haven't seen it in there before
Best FNC time
18:10:37 :)
luscheduler
Zone 1

Post by luscheduler »

There will be an Olympia service at some point during the 2017 Ideal Home Exhibition. I don't know exactly which days but it has something to do with a lack of Overground trains due to engineering works. That should give you enough hints, alas that may mean it's a weekend.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

At weekends there is an Olympia service anyway?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver