Easiest route, for those that just want a completion?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: Easiest route, for those that just want a completion?

Post by Tube Geek »

quisquidillius wrote:
Tube Geek wrote:What about mine!
I think I am going to use yours mainly but I might combine the two to sort out little problems! Thank you for your route as well, I was actually on my way to send you a message!
i.e. Use Andi's to sort out Holland Park!

I was also going to PM you, asking if you'd rather use a 1 hour quicker route I found at the bottom of a box! It is Heathrow - Amersham though, rather than Upminster
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

quisquidillius wrote:
I think I am going to use yours mainly but I might combine the two to sort out little problems! Thank you for your route as well, I was actually on my way to send you a message!
Seeing as your new I give u some tips that don't get mentioned.

Stay alert don't expect everything to go like it says.

Leytonstone if going west always be prepared to change trains here.

Mill hill east when getting go out of station look for that bus 382 u won't miss the train if not there no lose gamble.

If electronic bus stop signs says 4mins or more walk to the next stop u won't miss bus and more options can then present themselves by getting closer to destination.

Don't ride the bus 307 all way to Oakwood walk to cockfosters from Bramley rd.
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

palkanetoijala31 wrote: Seeing as your new I give u some tips that don't get mentioned.

Stay alert don't expect everything to go like it says.

Leytonstone if going west always be prepared to change trains here.

Mill hill east when getting go out of station look for that bus 382 u won't miss the train if not there no lose gamble.

If electronic bus stop signs says 4mins or more walk to the next stop u won't miss bus and more options can then present themselves by getting closer to destination.

Thank you! I shall definitely these down. I know that not everything goes to plan after the disaster on the Zone 1 challenge (when the train overshot Holborn and we had to run to Leicester Square)!
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
quisquidillius wrote:

If you know the stop IDs (you can get these from Google maps), there is a number you can text to get the live timings before you reach the stop. Only of use though if you will be above ground for a few minutes beforehand.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

RJSRdg wrote: If you know the stop IDs (you can get these from Google maps), there is a number you can text to get the live timings before you reach the stop. Only of use though if you will be above ground for a few minutes beforehand
Assuming you mean the 87287 thing, recently it didn't reply to me. Is that just a one off, or is it a bit hit-and-miss?
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I'm not sure - as I've been concentrating on shorter events recently owing to fitness issues I haven't really had much opportunity to use it.
Duncan
Zone 1

Post by Duncan »

Hello,

I've got my date for my first attempt pencilled in for later in the year and am putting together various timings based on 2 different starting locations and trying to fit in an evening Olympia.

However I have a quick question which hopefully someone will answer -

My quickest route has a train getting into Amersham at lets say xx59 and then the train back is xx00 - is it a doable change in such a short period? I've also factored in that the train arriving could be running late but what I don't know is if this a quick turnaround of the same train or if the one leaving is the previous arrival.

Would I be better just factoring in not making that train? Its only a 10 minute difference in getting to Rayners Lane but that could be a crucial 10 minutes.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Amersham generally involves getting off the train, going up some stairs, crossing over the tracks and getting back down some stairs on the other side. Whether you can make that depends on a myriad of factors, including (but not limited to) whether your train is punctual arriving, whether the train is punctual departing, and of course, how quickly you can run up and down stairs!
Duncan
Zone 1

Post by Duncan »

Thanks.

Figured it would be too risky with those timings but good to have it confirmed.
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

A bit late to this conversation but here are my top 10 tips on planning a 270 completion route.

1 Identify those points where a delay will really cost you time. Olympia, Mill Hill East and Woodford come to mind. If you miss a train here you can end up being delayed by up to 20 mins.
2 If you want a completion the easiest and surest way is start at T4 and finish at Amersham or Chesham. The reason for this is you can hit Olympia on a morning train. If you leave it until the evening, you only have two trains to catch so you need to be flexible on the day to ensure you make one of those trains. So T4 start is a safe bet to complete. Chesham/Amersham start is a risky bet but if you complete you will get a good time.
3 Build in resilience. You are unlikely to make that 30 sec connection, so assume you catch the next train in your planning. Plan several alternatives through the day in case you get delayed.
4 Allow 2mins for Central London connections. You may do better sometimes but on average it will be 2mins.
5 Know your next tube/bus time. Generally (believe it or not) transport runs to a timetable. This knowledge means you know when to run and when to walk.
6 Get someone to supply you en route with food and water or in my case; pork pies, Snickers and Coke.
7 Work out toilet stops. My own reliable ones are C2C, Preston Road, Epping and Leytonstone.
8 Assume two big delays during the day. You won't know where. You won't know when but you will be delayed by at least 10mins twice and this should be included in your planning.
9 Test all parts of your route in real life and at the right time. This will show you where your planning is wrong or too optimistic and help with fitness training.
10 Cross your fingers because you will need a large slice of luck to complete on any day.

Good luck.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

tufnellpark wrote:A bit late to this conversation but here are my top 10 tips on planning a 270 completion route.

1 Identify those points where a delay will really cost you time. Olympia, Mill Hill East and Woodford come to mind. If you miss a train here you can end up being delayed by up to 20 mins.
I would add West Ham/Upminster to that list. Missing the District by 1 minute at West Ham leads to a 15 minute wait for a C2C at Upminster and then out to 20 minutes delay if changing to the clockwise Circle at Aldgate.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

RJSRdg wrote:
tufnellpark wrote:A bit late to this conversation but here are my top 10 tips on planning a 270 completion route.

I would add West Ham/Upminster to that list. Missing the District by 1 minute at West Ham leads to a 15 minute wait for a C2C at Upminster and then out to 20 minutes delay if changing to the clockwise Circle at Aldgate.
I would not add to the list as u have many options c2c first district back go to barking switch twice etc.
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I am sorry if this is a stupid question but what does C2C stand for?
Elsie
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Elsie wrote:I am sorry if this is a stupid question but what does C2C stand for?
It's a train operating company operating services out of Fenchurch Street via West Ham and Upminster to Southend and Shoeburyness. What it stands for, nobody actually knows...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.