Children in Need 2015 - Friday 13th November

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Children in Need 2015 - Friday 13th November

Post by RJSRdg »

Regrettably I'm suffering from tendonitis at the moment so I don't think a FNC would be a good idea. I'm still hopeful of doing the R15 the next day though :-)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Probably not. It would make it a lot worse and then you wouldn't be able to do the R15, which may not be too good for you anyway.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

It's a particular shame as I had been planning to attempt either a DLR or Bottle challenge on the way back from the model railway exhibition at Swanley on 31st Oct but that's looking unlikely now.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Well we are going by the crow flies im going to use a route i wanted to try out for a while my first since the actual record breaking run of may 27th (in regards to that guinness now want us to prove that we travelled from gants hill to barkingside despite the log book proving this and the station before being photographed and the station after only a gap of four stations they want us to go back with the logbook and get a station official to sign stating we were there despite them having the logbook? :roll: i think i will just **** it and not bother at all!.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

All the best to those braving the tube on Friday!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

A new route, Andi? Is that an even quicker one?

Sorry to hear you're still having problems with Guinness. Had you also missed photographing Fairlop, Hainault and Grange Hill, it might have been more reasonable for Guinness to doubt the veracity of your claim as a waiting car to whisk you up the North Circular might have beaten the Tube but not over the relatively short distance you refer.And the chances of you being able to find a LU official who was on duty that day,let alone saw and could remember you must be pretty thin. Hoping someone somewhere sees sense and recognises what you've done, but either way I'm sure we all recognise yours is the time to beat irrespective of what Guinness say!
palkanetoijala31

the new route I will try wont be quicker as I have iain with me so he wont be able to keep to my pace on it but it is adaptable in places. and it involves a few runs I have dabbled with over the years its mainly to see if I can do it on oyster card. In regards to Guinness its a huge pain in the arse im sure the current and former holders never had this problem with evidence it seems they go out of their way to ensure other people have the record! I have given up I can always go out and replicate my time.

But really don't have the inclination to do so at the moment!.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Looks like I'mnot the only one who'snot fit enough to do Children In Need tomorrow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34803750
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

RJSRdg wrote:Looks like I'mnot the only one who'snot fit enough to do Children In Need tomorrow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34803750
Good luck to all you doing this today, though you are probably already started!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
palkanetoijala31

So an exhausting start I literally had to run all the way down to the platform t5 to pick up first train of day joined by monsieur tangy whom had visited t4. At hatton x we said goodbye and ticked off t4 going out for bus 490 back to hatton x a nice long ride to Hammersmith and change much better than I expected to district.

West Kensington we walked chatted slowly to Ken o considered it would be good if coffee shop was open and was joined by a running Kevin Brown and then by Martin hazel again just.

So we went our separate ways again at earls Court we went pic to kings x and then switched to Vic for walthamstow Iain very annoyed up escalator not working but down yes why is that.

So as I ran out station saw bus 69/97 to leytonstone Iain couldn't run fast enough to get also saw bus w15 couldn't quite get that bus w12 although I was flustered in choosing got that first time in that direction to snaresbrook surprisedly actually worked out better than I expected and we were got on train there just right!

So we came back and thought we try and switch at Mile end to take out aldgate bad decision as it takes out as circle was delayed buggering up a mhe take out and big three of 4 done early but never mind adapted to the situation and went south to morden double back to south Wimbledon.

I left Iain to run towards Merton park and tram waited for tram and then waited over 2 mins for the tram to clear the lights forgot to tap in as well probably causing my card to take more than cap Guinness take note this oyster card requirement is ******* useless u constantly thinking of time outs. I was surprised for the first time to see Iain beat me there by bus although I could have run there a lot faster.

So we went up nicely did an edgeware rd switch which I think right as we just missed a Hammersmith bound one then using some secret tube challenge skills adapted my route to what happens via mhe timings.

We went up stanmore and I rightly predicted I could get down from our timings at edgware to Euston and back to a beautiful 18s change to an mhe train with 26s back at Finchley central to high Barnet breaks my record.Iain wimped out at mornington crescent rolls which would cause us to separate later on.

So not good luck at high Barnet buses not there decided eventually for direct 384 but took long and 33mins for connection .

We decided to then head out back east upminster bound then back into centre for tcr via northern I could have got out to Euston square from Warren Street as I took Euston out but I went with Iain oyster card said I had no funds bollocks as I put 30quid on it well annoyed ranted at station staff put another 20 on it but was surprised Iain didn't pass me did he come in other entrance I don't know so eventually through phonecalls we met up but central was screwed up and we eventually met up rayners lane.

Coming back down the bakerloo we had lost so much time eventually at Hammersmith we called it and went down to Hounslow for spoons and then on to Heathrow for buses and coach for me
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

It was my first FNC for quite a while and I really enjoyed it. It made me realise how I needed to work on my fitness.

I might have caught that bus at Walthamstow if I haven't been out of breath from sprinting up the stairs, but if I'd been fitter I'd have coped fine. As it turned out we made a nice loop in the end so no matter.

All in all there wasn't a lot of time wasted - the big three were done without big waits and a lot of the between line transfers were pretty quick apart from HB to Cockfosters. I was quite surprised at how much time we'd lost by about 5pm as we seemed on the whole to have been not having any substantial hold ups. Then the Central line went to pot and a long wait at Uxbridge losing another half hour or so.

I'll have another go in spring when I'm fitter and once the leaf fall time tables are over, hopefully from a NW start, as a nw finish can mean a few minutes late at N Harrow can add 30 mins to the final time.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Amazing we all arrived at Ken O in tandem an this was easily my best full network attempt and was way nearer schedule that the 2 x GWR's a few years back..(both at least an hour down)
Leaving Richmond at at 0604 the 18 hour route was due to finish at T5 at 0004 and was bang on schedule when boarding the bus at High Barnet just after 16:10 (over 10 hours in :shock: ) The traffic was not good and instead of a 6 min run to Cockfosters I was left with 2 mins and arrived to a full set of empty platforms :(
At least I got a photo taken with me and the word "Cock" in which secured some extra donation money :)

Amersham / Chesham and back to Marylebone had earlier gone like a dream but this now meant I was a loop train down so lost 20 mins...
As I was scheduled to be on the 2nd last T4 train I needed to get back 10 mins to make the last T4 train and would have done so had the "Goblin" not been 2 minutes late causing me to miss as West Ruislip by 1 minute on a 10 minute frequency.......

So I carried on for a 267 finishing at Hatton Cross in 18:10:55....... A big thanks to Sam (mrred) and Hugo (orange one) for coming out and supporting me when they finished work from 3pm up until my last Picc train home :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold