Marc Gawley's attempt

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
moley
Site Administrator

Marc Gawley's attempt

Post by moley »

Back, four years ago, Marc Gawley made an attempt which was unusual in its approach however it was confirmed by Guinness as within the rules and thus it set a new world record. The unusual approach caused suggestions that it was fake or outside of the rules. This point was checked with GWR and they confirmed it was ok.

Now, these topics regularly still appear in our Google searches and not just when you search for the forum. These posts don't reflect the best of our forum members and include posts that were rude, way too personal and potentially libelous. I locked the thread at the time because of the direction it took.

My problem as a forum moderator is that these posts do not reflect the final position and therefore should not, 4 years later, remain in the public domain to taint individuals who sucessfully challenged the status quo and I do not want a closed forum. If I were to edit the posts so that they could remain then I would remove all context which I believe is wrong.

Unusually, I have moved the thread to the Archive section (where the Tube Relief threads sit). These posts have not been deleted. They are accessible by Tubeguru and me only at present. Any member who wants access can be given it for a limited time. I do not envisage needing to give anyone who signs up after today access.

This was my decision not Tubeguru's. No doubt you will tell me if that is a problem.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Marc Gawley's attempt

Post by tubeguru »

moley wrote:Back, four years ago, Marc Gawley made an attempt which was unusual in its approach however it was confirmed by Guinness as within the rules and thus it set a new world record. The unusual approach caused suggestions that it was fake or outside of the rules. This point was checked with GWR and they confirmed it was ok.

Now, these topics regularly still appear in our Google searches and not just when you search for the forum. These posts don't reflect the best of our forum members and include posts that were rude, way too personal and potentially libelous. I locked the thread at the time because of the direction it took.

My problem as a forum moderator is that these posts do not reflect the final position and therefore should not, 4 years later, remain in the public domain to taint individuals who sucessfully challenged the status quo and I do not want a closed forum. If I were to edit the posts so that they could remain then I would remove all context which I believe is wrong.

Unusually, I have moved the thread to the Archive section (where the Tube Relief threads sit). These posts have not been deleted. They are accessible by Tubeguru and me only at present. Any member who wants access can be given it for a limited time. I do not envisage needing to give anyone who signs up after today access.

This was my decision not Tubeguru's. No doubt you will tell me if that is a problem.
I'm fine with this.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA