Central Line Hainault Loop

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Central Line Hainault Loop

Post by A Challenge »

Not sure it would help but...

Has anyone considered running Buckhurst Hill to Roding Valley if you are late for your loop train or vice versa if you are late for your Epping train? Just thought it might be useful as Google says that there is a bus or you could run it, which wold take less time than google's walking directions.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Central Line Hainault Loop

Post by RJSRdg »

I know of at least one member of this forum who has done this.

However I can't see how it would work in practice - leastwise running it - as by my reckoning the running time from RV to BH is longer than the time to catch a Tube from RV-Woodford- BH.In other words, if you'd have missed your train at Woodford, you'd miss it at BH!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

The bus is only once per hour, so you would have to be really lucky for it to be of much use.

I have had occasions when the loop train has been held at Roding Valley (waiting to join the main line), when it may have been quicker to run to Buckhurst Hill, except that you don't know that it will be held until it is too late. But under normal circumstances I don't think it would be quicker. (If the second exit to Buckhurst Hill station on the RV side of the tracks were still open this would also help, but it closed some years ago).
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Nigel wrote:The bus is only once per hour, so you would have to be really lucky for it to be of much use.

I have had occasions when the loop train has been held at Roding Valley (waiting to join the main line), when it may have been quicker to run to Buckhurst Hill, except that you don't know that it will be held until it is too late. But under normal circumstances I don't think it would be quicker. (If the second exit to Buckhurst Hill station on the RV side of the tracks were still open this would also help, but it closed some years ago).
I am the forum member who uses this trick quite often if u look at the lights at roding valley they will be red 95% of the time when u approach if there are consider running u should be up and prepared anyway and it is the same door position as woodford. Remember if u have other tube challengers doing this the train might get held at woodford for those extra few seconds meaning train will be delayed at buckhurst hill I often find its 8 mins train wise between the two.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Looking at Google Maps, I reckon it would take me 10 minutes to run that - assuming that it's flat/downhill and I'm fresh.

Given all the other running legs required in a FNC, I think this may be one too far for me.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

RJSRdg wrote:Looking at Google Maps, I reckon it would take me 10 minutes to run that - assuming that it's flat/downhill and I'm fresh.

Given all the other running legs required in a FNC, I think this may be one too far for me.
To be honest i be more upset missing a train at woodford by a few seconds than any possible miss at buckhurst hill by running it!.