Night tube

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tangy
Site Administrator

Re: Night tube

Post by tangy »

At Walthamstow during the Night Tube, the entrance and exit is via the Bus Station only, both staircases onto the mainline platforms are blocked off. Bit of a detour for those who live south of the station!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Mountain Man
Zone 1

Post by Mountain Man »

Hi

I'm new on here and just planning my 1st attempt (purely completion only), and I'm doing it on a Friday, with my final 2 lines being the Northern end of the Jubilee and Edgware branch of the Northern. The route I've chosen and day has in part been determined by having the Night Tube, it gives me more time at the end of day to accommodate delays throughout the day and still complete
cycysputnik
Zone 1

Post by cycysputnik »

If you miss a train on the night tube you have to wait longer. I found that out when I was heading back to my Travelodge last friday. Had to wait at green park for 9 minutes. But if your only going to completion and not timing then I guess it dosent really matter.
4 x FNC Attempts, 2 X FNC Completions - Personal Best: 18:52:12
Based on a true story.
A product of the 5th generation of rock and roll.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Mountain Man wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 12:51 Hi

I'm new on here and just planning my 1st attempt (purely completion only), and I'm doing it on a Friday, with my final 2 lines being the Northern end of the Jubilee and Edgware branch of the Northern. The route I've chosen and day has in part been determined by having the Night Tube, it gives me more time at the end of day to accommodate delays throughout the day and still complete
Just out of curiosity as I'm helping the bling girl this Friday ur starting position if u rather not give it away publicly pm me
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Mountain Man
Zone 1

Post by Mountain Man »

dstock17 wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 14:53
Mountain Man wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 12:51 Hi

Just out of curiosity as I'm helping the bling girl this Friday ur starting position if u rather not give it away publicly pm me
It's a Heathrow start, Pimlico finish.

Because I'm doing it solo, aren't local and won't have access to a car, I needed starts / finish within night bus travel.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

We might see you at start then
Mountain Man
Zone 1

Post by Mountain Man »

dstock17 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 04:16 We might see you at start then
Unfortunately it's not this Friday but one later in the year. I've got a route, I'm just creating a few back up options for if things go wrong, and need to get my head round food / toilet options. Good luck though
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Northwest corner on the Met is good for toilet stops, but there are also useful options at Baker Street, Park Royal, Woodford and Leytonstone, and of course if you end up on a C2C service.

If you are around this weekend then consider joining people for the R15, or even just for a pint from about 16:30 (near TCR) onwards and have a chat about it all.

Best of luck regardless!
- Andrew
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

There are also toilets at Woodford, and a public toilet between West Ruislip and Ickenham.

Remember also that if you use Chiltern or C2C services as part of your route, they have toilets as well.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
cycysputnik
Zone 1

Post by cycysputnik »

Toilets in the NW corner havent been too bad when I've been there before. Ones on platform at Northwick Park (I think) were the best of the available bunch
4 x FNC Attempts, 2 X FNC Completions - Personal Best: 18:52:12
Based on a true story.
A product of the 5th generation of rock and roll.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

cycysputnik wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 10:55 Toilets in the NW corner havent been too bad when I've been there before. Ones on platform at Northwick Park (I think) were the best of the available bunch
I live(d) near there for ages. I can never remember them ever being open!
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I used them during the 2017 Park Challenge...
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I used them in the 2018 Parks Challenge - they were definitely open!!
Mountain Man
Zone 1

Post by Mountain Man »

cycysputnik wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 14:45 If you miss a train on the night tube you have to wait longer. I found that out when I was heading back to my Travelodge last friday. Had to wait at green park for 9 minutes. But if your only going to completion and not timing then I guess it dosent really matter.
My theory is to book my hotel within staggering distance of the last station, hence the Pimlico finish, as I know a couple of decent budget hotels nearby.

My logic to get me as much time for a completion was to be a night bus able start location (hence Hounslow, but I also considered West Harrow) then a finish on the Night Tube network.

My timings don't actually have me needing it, but it's a useful backup.

I'm currently planning some backup routes if I run into trouble.

One question, and apologies if this is asking about Tube Challenge secrets, is there a traditional route to do the Hainault loop? Or is just a case of trial and error to see what combo of Hainault/Woodford/Epping is quickest?
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

That question u just asked is hard and relies on times of day I in general find going to epping and back is easier as hainault from Woodford is better timed and regular serviced. But its a lottery sometimes other way is better.