Night tube

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Night tube

Post by greatkingrat »

No, less than that. A round trip Cockfosters - T5 - Cockfosters, including turnaround time at each end is about 3.5 hours, so if they are running every 10 minutes that would require 21 trains.

It may not necessarily be the same trains all night, you might have one train running 0600 Fri - 0300 Sat, and another running 0300 Sat - 0100 Sun for example.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

At 0300, 21 trains were due to be in service not including change over trains. Interestingly, because of changes to stabling routines, Friday and Saturday nights at 2359 saw an increase of trains in service from 52 to 58.

19 trains enter service for the Friday am peak and 3 of these stable around 0245, 7 stable between 3 and 4, 6 between 4 and 5 and 5 between 5 and 6.
2 more trains start around 0245 and 1 around 2350 plus each train that stables is replaced by a daytime service train starting some 2-3 hours earlier than at present. These trains finish late Saturday night around 2359-0130.
One additional train does the am peak, stable then back out for the pm peak and night service. 1 train which had been free for maintenance on Fridays would be brought into service around 11pm and runs through to 4pm the following afternoon.

Saturday / Sunday works similar.

On the Victoria line, one train is in service for 23 hrs 59 min.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

New challenge for next Comic Relief day, stay on the same Victoria line train for 23 hours 59 minutes without going mad!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Does turning around at Seven Sisters count as staying in service, and if so does the train in question turn there at any point because you wouldn't be able to stay on.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

I'm sure, like me, you've already downloaded the Working Timetables for the Night Tube (WTT 40 for the Victoria and WTT 69 for the Central in case you haven't). I know that 0430 is treated as the start of the next day for Oyster and travelcard purposes, but not in the timetables. For instance the last eastbound Central train from Ealing Broadway listed on the Friday page departs at 0215 and the first listed on the Saturday page is 0235. Presumably this is for rostering purposes.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

greatkingrat wrote:New challenge for next Comic Relief day, stay on the same Victoria line train for 23 hours 59 minutes without going mad!
Me: The first bit makes perfect sense but the second bit...
Other person: What?
Me: Oh yes, we* are already mad, aren't we!

*those on this forum, us tube challengers, to do these challenges!

This post is not meant to be seen as offensive to this forum.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

michael_churchill wrote:I'm sure, like me, you've already downloaded the Working Timetables for the Night Tube (WTT 40 for the Victoria and WTT 69 for the Central in case you haven't). I know that 0430 is treated as the start of the next day for Oyster and travelcard purposes, but not in the timetables. For instance the last eastbound Central train from Ealing Broadway listed on the Friday page departs at 0215 and the first listed on the Saturday page is 0235. Presumably this is for rostering purposes.
I think it is based on the first train on the page. Page 89 starts with the 2350 West Ruislip - Ruislip Depot, thus is considered a Friday page even though most of the trains on the page depart early Saturday morning.
luscheduler
Zone 1

Post by luscheduler »

RJSRdg wrote:You'd think they'd at least have the decency to run an Olympia train at 2:30am!
They may not go quite that far but I do know you should keep your eyes peeled for a District Olympia service all day when the Ideal Home Exhibition is on in 2017. Especially if Overground has some engineering works!! That's all the hints I can give.
luscheduler
Zone 1

Post by luscheduler »

greatkingrat wrote:
michael_churchill wrote:I'm sure, like me, you've already downloaded the Working Timetables for the Night Tube (WTT 40 for the Victoria and WTT 69 for the Central in case you haven't). I know that 0430 is treated as the start of the next day for Oyster and travelcard purposes, but not in the timetables. For instance the last eastbound Central train from Ealing Broadway listed on the Friday page departs at 0215 and the first listed on the Saturday page is 0235. Presumably this is for rostering purposes.
I think it is based on the first train on the page. Page 89 starts with the 2350 West Ruislip - Ruislip Depot, thus is considered a Friday page even though most of the trains on the page depart early Saturday morning.
It's just a 3 day timetable block, page breaks happen where page breaks happen.
luscheduler
Zone 1

Post by luscheduler »

A Challenge wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:New challenge for next Comic Relief day, stay on the same Victoria line train for 23 hours 59 minutes without going mad!
Me: The first bit makes perfect sense but the second bit...
Other person: What?
Me: Oh yes, we* are already mad, aren't we!

*those on this forum, us tube challengers, to do these challenges!

This post is not meant to be seen as offensive to this forum.
Why not go the whole hog and make it Friday morning to Sunday night?
luscheduler
Zone 1

Post by luscheduler »

The Orange One wrote:Does turning around at Seven Sisters count as staying in service, and if so does the train in question turn there at any point because you wouldn't be able to stay on.
If the turn is in the platform then in theory you can stay on the train (e.g. Bakerloo at Elephant & Castle). However if it turns in a siding (e.g. Bakerloo at Queen's Park, Stonebridge Park or H&W) then you have to get off and rejoin the train on the outbound platform. Them's the rules!!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

For anyone interested, the Northern Line will be running its Night Tube service from 18th November
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

xcooler123 wrote:For anyone interested, the Northern Line will be running its Night Tube service from 18th November
New record, for all three not just the two coming up! :!: :!: :!:
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

I got an e-mail from TfL reminding me that the Northern line Night Tube starts next weekend. It pointed out something that I hadn't twigged. Because the Northern line ticket hall at Charing Cross is closed and the only entrance/exit is the Bakerloo line ticket hall at Trafalgar Square, the Northern line Night Tube won't call at Charing Cross until July 2017.

It makes you think... at all the interchange stations, it must be quite an operation to barricade off the parts that won't be open all night.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

michael_churchill wrote:It makes you think... at all the interchange stations, it must be quite an operation to barricade off the parts that won't be open all night.
They've really made quite an effort to barricade off the Met Line at Finchley Road!! At Liverpool Street, this takes the form of routing you through a lesser used ticket hall. Euston sends you up a tiny back staircase to avoid you entering the National Rail concourse.

Baker Street, on the other hand, doesn't seem to do that much. It seems so lonely without any of the other tube lines there too!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.