Oyster Card

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Oyster Card

Post by tufnellpark »

Following on from the hostile reaction when I said that we used Oyster card daily cap for our Guinness WR, I wondered how Geoff found using his Oyster card for his charity day out. I think TfL will remove paper tickets at some stage, so Oyster or contactless is the future. As I said we didn't have any problems but it did require a bit more running up the stairs, whilst keeping an eye out for the next train.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Oyster Card

Post by tractakid »

I don't think anyone minds that you used oyster, I think the issue is that Guinness were no longer accepting paper journeys, for those that choose to accept Guinness as arbiters.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

No problem with people using oyster for any challenge my reaction was to Guinness insisting we had to.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

i told everyone that came along on the day to buy a paper ticket ...

& yes, no problem with you using an Oyster but baffled that Guinness would insist on it. when i stop making attempts, i'll make myself an arbiter, and 'GWR' can stand for Geoff World Record... :lol:

i'll let you use paper tickets, and not insist you can only do it on a weekday only as well :D
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

So, I used Oyster on Walk The Tube.

It worked fine except for user error when I tapped the platform device at Ealing Broadway. I tapped the other platform device thinking I was then tapping in again but this led the system to think I was tapping out three times in a row.

A number of additional exits and re-entries were made where time allowed to avoid timing out. Think, Finchley Central, Woodford, Epping, Upminster, Rayners Lane, Chesham

That said, Oyster does not time out at 2 hrs for the right journey.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

moley wrote:That said, Oyster does not time out at 2 hrs for the right journey.
Somewhat oddly, I managed to time out Harrow --> Neasden --> Harrow the other day when I got too engrossed in a conversation...
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition