GWR Site is reporting a new World Record time ...

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: GWR Site is reporting a new World Record time ...

Post by The Orange One »

geofftech wrote:So as part of my 'Walk the tube' charity event taking place this Friday (10th April) some of us (out of the 26 of us doing it!) are now going to try using Oyster PAYG for the whole day, to see what pitfalls are .. of which i am sure there we'll be some. We'll report back here.

It's another level of ludicrousness - same as Guinness not recognising that now infamous valid weekend attempt, same as them not recognising Wood Lane as a big enough to change to warrant a reset (remember those 16:39 and 16:42 times I told you about done off of an evening Olympia? we changed between Wood Lane and White City on both of those attempts - impossible before Wood Lane opening), and yes someone at GWR goes "Oh, I know we'll get them to use Oyster because that has a handy journey history" without realising that it times out. They've never done the challenge, so they don't completely understand how their rules affect us.

I too am seeing the 'old' set of rules, with no mention of Oyster. Hopeless.

If Oyster can be used, why not Contactless? Yet again, Guinness say 'Do this...' without thinking it through or having a full understanding of it. Again, hopeless.

But (thanks tufnellpark) of course, it is just PART of the evidence that they now require, along with everything else. The fact that you have managed this is extremely impressive...
tufnellpark wrote:To avoid OSI just touch out/in at nearby interchange stations. It only takes 10 secs. Kenton/Northwick Park OSI was mentioned. Simply touch out/in at Preston Road or Harrow & Wealdstone, where you are changing trains, obviously checking you have enough time before your train departs. At Epping the gates are right on the platform, so touch out/in is easy. But if you are rushing to catch a train from the other platform, just touch out/in at Woodford instead. To avoid exceeding maximum journey times, plan to touch out/in where you can ie where you are passing the gates at interchanges. So Moorgate is a good possibility, Brixton is not. We touched out/in 34 times during the day and the longest section between touches was 01:45. You do get some funny looks from gate staff though!
Moorgate? Nope .. i'm running right past the barriers getting to the Northern Line, or to the sub-surface as quick as I can. No time to stop at the barriers.
Preston Road? Nope .. on 16:20.27 day, we cross-platformed immediately onto a train in the opposite direction, no time to mess around with Oyster.
Harrow & Wealdstone? Nope .. you usually get two minutes and we were a minute late in, so we dashed over and 30 seconds later our train left. No time there.
Woodford? Nope .. we came round the loop, straight onto an Epping train and obviously didn't stop at Woodford on the way back south. That's no good.

I am struggling to think of places (apart from when you really do leave one station and enter another) that you would have time to go touch in/out. At Brixton you're underground, Covent Garden, Leicester Square and Kennington reverses you're deep underground, Stanmore is always a fast turnaround, Sloane Square you just reverse as fast as you can, so umm, really struggling ...

*thinks*

OK Maybe Upminster and you were going back into town on C2C and the side entrance was still open right by Platform 1.
Mill Hill East you'd probably have time if you're just waiting for the train to reverse.

I can't think of any others where you wouldn't normally exit the station.

This is totally ridiculous.

---
The Orange One wrote:Upon explanation of what I had done, he told me, and I quote "London Underground is a serious system" and that it was "joyriders like you who drive the fares up".
Hugh, you should have told him though that "Every journey matters". :)
You could possibly get at those side barriers at H&W on Platform 1 though, or the platform readers on the Platform 2/3 island. The real killer is the West Ruislip - Ickenham OSI or the Walthamstow/Leytonstone one. Although there's platform readers at Walthamstow Central, so I suppose a double tap... yeah, none of this would work.

Geoff, I couldn't possibly make a joke. London Underground is a serious system. :lol:

Oyster FNC Route (off the Labyrinth one):

Chesham :arrow: North Harrow :arrow: Rayners Lane :arrow: Ealing Common :arrow: Ealing Broadway :arrow: North Acton :arrow: West Ruislip :arrow: Ickenham :arrow: Northwick Park :arrow: Kenton :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Aldgate East :arrow: Aldgate :arrow: Monument :arrow: South Wimbledon :arrow: Wimbledon :arrow: Clapham Junction :arrow: Shepherd's Bush :arrow: Shepherd's Bush :arrow: Snaresbrook :arrow: Walthamstow Central :arrow: Euston :arrow: Edgware :arrow: Canons Park :arrow: Wembley Park :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras :arrow: High Barnet :arrow: Cockfosters :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras :arrow: Hammersmith H&C :arrow: Hammersmith D&P :arrow: Gunnersbury :arrow: Chiswick Park :arrow: Acton Town :arrow: Heathrow Terminal 5.

I don't know how long that would take, but there's a lot that's been shaved off. Perhaps another full network route would allow even more timesaving. Also, Upminster? Hainault loop? Watford? Amersham? Not to mention pretty much all of the Circle, the Richmond branch, Mill Hill East and the all important Olympia train.

Looking at your Tube 1, you seem to have:

Chesham :arrow: North Harrow :arrow: West Harrow :arrow: Northwick Park :arrow: Kenton :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras :arrow: Edgware :arrow: Stanmore :arrow: Wembley Park :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras :arrow: Oakwood :arrow: High Barnet :arrow: Euston :arrow: Walthamstow Central :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Whitechapel :arrow: New Cross :arrow: New Cross Gate :arrow: Whitechapel :arrow: Aldgate East :arrow: Aldgate :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Vauxhall :arrow: Clapham Junction :arrow: Kensington Olympia :arrow: West Kensington :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: West Ruislip :arrow: Ickenham :arrow: Acton Town :arrow: Heathrow Terminals 123 :arrow: Paddington :arrow: Shepherd's Bush Market :arrow: Shepherd's Bush :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Morden.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

So, these OSIs....... Am I right in thinking that if you touch back in at the second station within the alloted time then the journey is continuous?

Therefore a trip from, say Finsbury Park to Woodofrd via, Walthamstow, Walthamstow QR, Leytonstone HR and Leytonstone would be 1 journey, with an applied maximum journey time?

If this is the case, a touch out and back in at Woodford wont help, as Woodford-Woodford is listed as an allowed OSI with a 10 minute timer. It would consider it the same journey.
2 attempts
2 completions
(Not getting much quicker)
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

The Orange One wrote: Upon explanation of what I had done, he told me, and I quote "London Underground is a serious system" and that it was "joyriders like you who drive the fares up". He did let me out, though, and refund me, so it's OK.
With 1.265 billion annual passengers, we're such a tiny, tiny fraction. That's just a nonsense comment.
(Source: https://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about- ... nd-figures)
nozzacook wrote:...
2. The (SW Trains) Waterloo and City line, the (West Anglia) Finsbury Park to Moorgate line, East London line and the Docklands Light Railway are not included in this attempt.
5. Stations which are geographically separate and not linked but which have the same name must each be visited. This applies to Shepherds Bush and Edgware Road.
Given Guinness rules 2 and 5 are clearly out of date, perhaps we should just be challenging them to improve the entire rule set.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

In theory it should be possible to buy a weekly zone 1-9 travelcard on Oyster, touch in and out wherever you like on the day of the attempt, then hand it back for a refund the following day.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I think a straight forward question to them along the lines I don't have an Oyster card can I use a paper ticket and see what they say.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

greatkingrat wrote:In theory it should be possible to buy a weekly zone 1-9 travelcard on Oyster, touch in and out wherever you like on the day of the attempt, then hand it back for a refund the following day.
I considered that but there is an admin fee
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Urzzz1871 wrote:So, these OSIs....... Am I right in thinking that if you touch back in at the second station within the alloted time then the journey is continuous?

Therefore a trip from, say Finsbury Park to Woodofrd via, Walthamstow, Walthamstow QR, Leytonstone HR and Leytonstone would be 1 journey, with an applied maximum journey time?

If this is the case, a touch out and back in at Woodford wont help, as Woodford-Woodford is listed as an allowed OSI with a 10 minute timer. It would consider it the same journey.
I'm not sure how clever the barriers are as that OSI is from one side of the station to the other for accessibility reasons
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

GOOD NEWS i post my response to guinness world records.

GWR
08 April 2015 17:36
Hi James, Thanks for your feedback - we've now removed this requirement in response to previous feedback, so the latest version of the rules does not require the use of an Oyster travelcard. I will re-send the Guidelines to be sure that you have the latest version. All the best Corrinne
andy james
andy james
08 April 2015 12:21
why is it that Guinness have all of a sudden insisted that people use oyster cards for this record why are paper travelcards no longer acceptable I don't live in London and think this is another blatant case of Guinness world records being stupid and having to touch in and out in a 2 hour period this is completely wrong as well. I wish an answer on this all my previous records were done on travelcards and there has been no problem with verifying them. yours not very happy andy james downtonroad@aol.com
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Andy

Many thanks for seeking out the clarification on that one!

Richard
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
palkanetoijala31

RJSRdg wrote:Andy

Many thanks for seeking out the clarification on that one!

Richard
its probably a good thing i didnt use the language i wanted to use as well richard :lol: one of these days i show geoff the email i sent in 2014 that was well more swear language used.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

woah! what's this? Andi, you got in touch with them and got them to REMOVE the requirement? that's ace! did you email them or call them up?

i think we would all (on this forum) be interested in the latest copy of the PDF, please ...

Chris & I will test out Oyster PAYG on a Full Network Challenge anyway this Friday .. what is the problem with the OSI?

e.g on Ickenham To West Ruislip, surely it will show that you touched out of one, and touched in the other - listed as two journeys but charged as one. no?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The problem is you will probably exceed the maximum journey time and end up with two unresolved journeys.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote: e.g on Ickenham To West Ruislip, surely it will show that you touched out of one, and touched in the other - listed as two journeys but charged as one. no?
If it's a legitimate OSI then it does not count as a break of journey when calculating the maximum journey time.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Still all kinds of ridiculous ...

Andi, how did you send your feedback to Guinness today, vie email?

And what email did you send them in 2014 !!?
palkanetoijala31

geofftech wrote:Still all kinds of ridiculous ...

Andi, how did you send your feedback to Guinness today, vie email?

And what email did you send them in 2014 !!?
i sent them an email a few days ago the current oyster situation i thought it best in order for me to know what was happening seeing as im not a techno buff osi oyster card history WTF!

and the email i sent in 2014 is basically of copy of the same email (with swear words added after found was in book) i sent in 2010,11,12,13 why was the record not being published in the guinness book of records in print! i did mention the fact that i not longer held the record and basically said to them u print it i would be asking questions why they didnt make yourself wait for at least one year after you broke. which they did of course in first year possible they did that they printed it after making me wait for over 6 years :mrgreen: .

i should point that that the 6 of us should of been in the book as well apparently we missed the deadline by 10 days to print but GUINNESS procastination of points that we had already proven in our original evidence that took two months to resolve and so in the book goes the wrong persons name i have brought up and guess what i bet i never get in the book ever :twisted: another point that i dont particular like guinness if you have a look at the 4 times i have broken the record it has taken longer to get my evidence apart from sam funnily enough than anybody else past or present or perhaps future.