GWR Site is reporting a new World Record time ...

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
The Raven
All Zones

Re: GWR Site is reporting a new World Record time ...

Post by The Raven »

I wish Guinness would contact one of us before changing the rules! Anyone of us would of said that the Oyster rule was a stupid idea. Andi, can you get them to change some other stupid rules? Like the no Saturdays rule?
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

All of a sudden, everyone loves Andi. I thought I'd never see the day.

As I was reading through this thread, I thought we should do a protest about it... then I read Andi's email and reply. Fantastic. Fabulous. I've run out of superlatives...

When I did the FNC as part of FART 2013 my paper ticket failed in the latter stages, and I don't think I would have been able to do a tap-in and out to avoid the time-outs.

Without wishing to divulge too much information in the route we took (so I've mixed these up), these are the only places I could have done it after my ticket broke down:

Earl's Court;
Could have done at Harrow Weald & Richmond in hindsight because the train was held in the platform for a while but obviously didn't because I didn't know that at the time (if that makes any sense);
West Ham (but might have timed out before then);
Turnham Green (x2).
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Okay, I guess panic's over - but why was it even considered? Even a cursory knowledge of the network reveals how stupid the requirement would be. At somewhere like Woodford it might only take ten seconds (which could still cost a train) but at other stations it could take over a minute and screw up a perfectly legit route.

Sure - with some routes it might not make a difference, but it's not right if a rule can invalidate a perfectly good route.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 07 May 2019, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote: i should point that that the 6 of us should of been in the book as well apparently we missed the deadline by 10 days to print but GUINNESS procastination of points that we had already proven in our original evidence that took two months to resolve and so in the book goes the wrong persons name i have brought up and guess what i bet i never get in the book ever :twisted: another point that i dont particular like guinness if you have a look at the 4 times i have broken the record it has taken longer to get my evidence apart from sam funnily enough than anybody else past or present or perhaps future.
Yes, I thought it was a bit odd that you didn't get in the book for New York ... but Guinness again are a law unto themself here! The last people to get in before me was Hakan, right? back in 2006/7, so it may not appear in the book again for several more years again, who knows?

regards processing time - i'm assuming that you never paid for Fast Track processing, which we did .. which the new guys with the new record time did, and I know Marc Gawley did. if you want Guinness to process it quickly, you have to give them a few £££ ! (which, yes.. some would argue is unfair)
you would presume correct i probably guessed that was the case anyway i presume it is quite expensive? never mind and i expect the new record holders did as well!.

In regards to anybody beating this time i say it is still well possible ok its made it a lot harder especially as i cant use my 16h 14m route anymore :( . interesting to note that they are 3 attempts going on in the next 7 days.
palkanetoijala31

The Raven wrote:I wish Guinness would contact one of us before changing the rules! Anyone of us would of said that the Oyster rule was a stupid idea. Andi, can you get them to change some other stupid rules? Like the no Saturdays rule?
i certainly try if you want me too.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Yep while your asking tell them we think MHE and Ken Olly are stupid as well. Joking aside. We should start planning for using oyster as its well known that TFL want rid of paper tickets and I expect it will happen.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I didn't use fast track. I knew it would be verified eventually :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
The Raven wrote:I wish Guinness would contact one of us before changing the rules! Anyone of us would of said that the Oyster rule was a stupid idea. Andi, can you get them to change some other stupid rules? Like the no Saturdays rule?
i certainly try if you want me too.
I understood the No Saturdays rule was because there's usually at least one line closed on Saturdays (usually the one I want to travel on!) so a FNC is impossible.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

It first cropped up, I believe, because a team completed on a Saturday, and were then told it was invalid
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Iain wrote:It first cropped up, I believe, because a team completed on a Saturday, and were then told it was invalid
That's correct Iain. Going Underground and his team broke the record on a Saturday and Guinness wouldn't allow it as they say it was not as busy.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
palkanetoijala31

she is hot!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The Raven wrote:I wish Guinness would contact one of us before changing the rules!
I've always been of the opinion that Guinness can set whatever rules they like, as they are the arbiters of the record. There's nothing stopping anyone here setting up a rival governing body.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Das
Zone 2

Post by Das »

Andrew you are the dogs bollocks,pint coming your way mate