parkrun 14th March

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

parkrun 14th March

Post by tractakid »

Considering it's the day after a FNC, I doubt people will want to make plans to get up particularly early for parkrun...

having said that, I am considering going to the new Cassiobury parkrun in Watford, as it's the recommended week for parkrun tourists to go after a short settling in time. (It has apparently been tough to get permission for this parkrun).
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

Re: parkrun 14th March

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tractakid wrote:Considering it's the day after a FNC, I doubt people will want to make plans to get up particularly early for parkrun...

having said that, I am considering going to the new Cassiobury parkrun in Watford, as it's the recommended week for parkrun tourists to go after a short settling in time. (It has apparently been tough to get permission for this parkrun).
going to be tough for you to get back to the starting station of random 15 isnt it!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Why? You can easily get from Watford at 0930 to any possible starting station in Z12 for 1230.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I am planning Old Deer Park on 14th March, should be easy for anyone staying overnight near Heathrow.... Cassiobury for me this week :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Going Underground wrote:I am planning Old Deer Park on 14th March, should be easy for anyone staying overnight near Heathrow.... Cassiobury for me this week :P
Despite the appeal to steer clear for a couple of weeks?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tractakid wrote:
Going Underground wrote:I am planning Old Deer Park on 14th March, should be easy for anyone staying overnight near Heathrow.... Cassiobury for me this week :P

Change of plan..... 14th March will now be Fulham Palace
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Going Underground wrote:
tractakid wrote:

Yep nice flat Tarmac a bit easier on the legs than grass and mud.

That's assuming Mr Fox survives the previous day.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Going Underground wrote:Change of plan..... 14th March will now be Fulham Palace
Sounds good, assuming I'm still mobile after the FNC.

This Saturday, I may well go for a plod around in Bognor Regis.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

This weekend is 12miles Saturday followed by a walk/run around the new Parkrun course at Penrose Estate.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Going Underground wrote:
tractakid wrote:

Fulham Palace is a fast course that I got a slow time on. But I did notice a bit of question dodging... lol
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Ok why was it tough to get permission for that Parkrun.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Quote from the UK parkrun tourists/New parkrun groups on Facebook from the event's ambassador:

"Hi all. Great to see a few of you down at the fledgling South Oxhey parkrun over the past few weeks. Speaking of new events in the Watford area, you'll know by now that we are kicking off Cassiobury this coming weekend (28 Feb). Whilst I would never tell people to stay away from an inaugural, I am going to ask that people consider visiting this particular parkrun on a later weekend please. Cassiobury has taken me more than 2 years to get up and running and we are aiming for the softest possible launch (eg no social media pages yet). This is mainly due to the amount of people who already use the park, and hence a need to keep the council/ranger/friends of the park group - who are all watching us very closely - happy from the outset. I am confident that many of the runners/walkers who currently use the park will join us on the start line very soon, but we need a couple of weeks to establish ourselves first. I'm happy to suggest week 3 (14 March) as a good Saturday for people to come along, if that fits into your parkrun diaries. I'll be there that week too so will be good to catch up with people who can make it. Thanks for your understanding. Glen"

He's also stated that he'd like manageable numbers as all the volunteers are complete novices, not having come from other established event teams.

And also, as to why it's a 2.5 lap course in such a large park...

"Do people honestly believe Watford Council, the park ranger, and the Friends of Cassiobury Park would allow a weekly 5k cross country course in their flagship park, particularly through winter?? It's taken me more than 2 years of negotiations just to get to this compromise. In any event, it will appeal more to beginner runners - hardcore x country types have South Oxhey and Aldenham soon to get their trail shoes dirty on!"

So by the sounds of it a lot of hard work has gone into this parkrun, and it could really do with a gentle introduction!
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

It's amazing the amount of people you have to convince that Parkrun won't be a bad thing. Especially when planning the route. And a resilient route for wet winter period. My eyes have been opened to this process having witnessed all the work that has gone into the new course at Penrose Estate.