An Attempt

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
leamfarrar
Zone 3

An Attempt

Post by leamfarrar »

As I'm a school teacher, I've got a week break coming up in mid-Feb and I was thinking of heading to London and taking an attempt at the whole network for my own self. It has been a bucket list moment of mine, and I'm more doing it for myself rather than a record attempt, but there has been a few things that have been holding me back on the attempt, none moreso than the time but also a few other things. They do limit me back in Sydney with the All-Stations Challenge that the group I'm part of have... so I know that it is a little multiplied here because of the depths, but I'll outline them
  • I have a mild case of escalaphobia (fear of escalators). Now, I can travel on escalators as long as I can see the top (or bottom), but stations like Angel would render me stuck at the bottom, or finding another station... so I would have to either plan around that, or plan changes at stations that have stairs between platforms. I've visited London twice now since arriving and I've been using the stairs where I can, using the awesome Station Master app that I have on my devices.
  • I would need to find somewhere to stay the night before and also the night I finish the challenge as I currently live 3 hours east of London, and the last train out is at around 9pm
  • I have an Oyster Card, but reading some of the other threads, would it be easier and cheaper to get some sort of other ticket?
I was also thinking of maybe doing the Zone 1 challenge or another one of the challenges before making the attempt at the whole thing, so would that be something to look at. If anybody has any advice or help, that would be appreciated. I've been looking at the map and trying to figure out a way that might be easier for me. The challenges done in Sydney took around 17 hours, so a 24 hour challenge would be alright for me... the time is no issue, its any possible changes that need escalators that might bring upon my phobia.

I was thinking something around Easter or even later, since I'm going to be here for at least the next 18 months... I've got some time to plan it all
Leam Mark Farrar
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: An Attempt

Post by greatkingrat »

Generally, if you are just interchanging between lines there will only be fairly short escalators, the long ones tend to be going up to the ticket office level. Depends really how long you consider to be too long. Probably best to start with zone 1 which will give you a chance to check out the interchanges.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

My understanding of it is that you should do a full network challenge based on a paper Z1-9 travelcard. Oyster cards have a time out period of 90 minutes and so you would end up not being able to get through barriers in a timely fashion. As an example from the weekend R15 it took myself and Appoco about 2h30 to get from departing West Hampstead Thameslink to coming out of West Hampstead Jubilee, which would have been an interesting one to try and explain. Other challengers may have different views of this though.
- Andrew
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

My understanding of it is that you should do a full network challenge based on a paper Z1-9 travelcard. Oyster cards have a time out period of 90 minutes and so you would end up not being able to get through barriers in a timely fashion. As an example from the weekend R15 it took myself and Appoco about 2h30 to get from departing West Hampstead Thameslink to coming out of West Hampstead Jubilee, which would have been an interesting one to try and explain. Other challengers may have different views of this though.
- Andrew
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Dredging my brain for memories of my attempt last summer: Victoria has long escalators, I think, and possibly London Bridge? Otherwise, short flights of stairs predominate. All the extremities are above the ground/close to the surface and therefore have short flights of steps. A hazy memory from 10 years ago says there may be long flights at Kings Cross, but I haven't used that on a challenge. Would time of day be important too i.e. if a short escalator was crowded, you wouldn't be able to see the top?

You also asked about hotels. It depends where you're starting and finishing of course. Lots of hotels around Heathrow. For my attempt, I used the Travelodge at Feltham, which is an easy bus ride from Hatton Cross/Terminal 4 and on the train line from Waterloo. At the end of the challenge, I drove straight back from Chesham, having parked there the night before. Others have mentioned staying in Chesham before - Nita's or somesuch? My understanding is that the nearest hotel to Upminster is another Travelodge or similar in Romford. If you want to stay in the same place two nights, then there's a similar establishment in Whetstone which would enable you to do High Barnet Start, Cockfosters finish (or vv), albeit that is a sub-optimal routing.

Hope this helps

Tom
Metrolink 91 stations 6:27:01
FNC: 18:48:00
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Running through ones you might need to use for a challenge (Angel, Holborn, Oxford Circus have long ones, but they're only to get to street level, and you are highly unlikely to use these).

South Wimbledon has a reasonably short set of escalators, as well as 75 steps down the middle, if that's where you are planning to do your Wimbledon - Morden transfer.

South Kensington interchange has a short flight of escalators you will have to use if you are planning to interchange here.

Green Park Victoria-Jubilee transfer has reasonably short escalators. Victoria-Piccadilly and Jubilee-Piccadilly transfers are done through corridors, though many use escalators up to the ticket hall - but this does not mean you need to use them.

Westminster interchange for the Jubilee is very escalatory - not sure on the lengths, but there really are a lot of them, so you might want to go and have a look in person.

Waterloo interchange has a few short escalators to the Jubilee for interchange, some reasonably long ones to the surface and a travelator, so again one you might want to have a look at.

Embankment again involves many escalators, many of which are on their own in single tubes, so you might want a look at that too.

West Ham has a few short ones, but nothing very scary.

King's Cross St. Pancras has some reasonably long ones to the Circle line ticket hall, but changing between the deep level lines shouldn't involve them too much. Be careful though - this will need a proper exploration simply because it's very confusing.

Bank/Monument has a couple between the Northern and Circle/District, although you are unlikely to use them. It has others to the surface, but you are even less likely to use these.

Liverpool Street has some to get to the Central Line, so another one you might want to stay away from.

Moorgate's are short, and there is a spiral staircase too - but it's hard to find.

Holborn interchange requires one too - not sure how long that one is.

Warren Street's are pretty short.

I think Baker Street's are quite short, too, and you'll only need them to get between sub-surface and deep level.

Walthamstow Central has short ones/67 steps. Blackhorse Road, a possible alternative, has short ones/89 steps.

Notting Hill Gate's are short too.

Paddington's are short.

Victoria you might want to look at - remember you'll likely only need the interchange set.

Baker Street (Bakerloo/Jubilee lines), Bond Street, Chancery Lane, Holborn (Central line), Liverpool Street (Central line), South Kensington (Piccadilly line) and Victoria (Victoria line) have no stepped alternative.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've been into London now three times, so I've been doing some checking out of interchange stations and seeing what I can and can't attempt. Normally, if I'm with someone then I am fine to go down escalators or even lifts, it is just by myself when the phobia kicks in.

I really appreciate all the advice so far. The Station Master app that I have on my iPhone/iPad/iPod has already been helping as well when I've been sightseeing around London.
Leam Mark Farrar
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

The Orange One wrote:Westminster interchange for the Jubilee is very escalatory - not sure on the lengths, but there really are a lot of them, so you might want to go and have a look in person.
As with most of the Jubilee Line extension stations though the escalators are very open as the stations are basically massive caverns so you can see both ends without there being a roof above you. There are also step-free / lift alternatives at all of the extension stations (south and east of Green Park) I believe. If it is specifically escalators that there is a potential problem with then you can also step free / lift access everything at Kings Cross, although its normally via the new ticket halls and the lifts are horribly slow.
- Andrew
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

leamfarrar wrote:The Station Master app that I have on my iPhone/iPad/iPod has already been helping as well when I've been sightseeing around London.
you're welcome Leam! always appreciated any feedback on the App too if you have any.

Geoff.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

here is some feedback for you whats the point of an app when u can only use it on certain phones!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I don't have a smartphone.

Because I don't have a smartphone, this is where I get the door positions I don't know. It doesn't have any of the S Stock positions, but since those are walkthrough trains the C/D Stock approximation is all that is really needed. It doesn't have the Stratford International branch, but that's fine, because I hardly ever use it and the only stations I'd need would be Stratford, West Ham and Canning Town, all of which are somewhere at the northern end.

It is often offline though, which is aggravating.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

geofftech wrote:
leamfarrar wrote:The Station Master app that I have on my iPhone/iPad/iPod has already been helping as well when I've been sightseeing around London.
you're welcome Leam! always appreciated any feedback on the App too if you have any.

Geoff.
Hi Geoff,

Two things on the app.

1) I'd like an Android version so I don't have to carry my work phone about all the time on these things.
2) A feature of "I'm standing on platform X, which way do I turn to get to the front / back of the train" would save the embarrassing cases of knowing the door position is 1/1 or 8/4 for going one stop but being at the wrong end of the train when it pulls in.

Thanks,

Andrew / A2
- Andrew
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:here is some feedback for you whats the point of an app when u can only use it on certain phones!
To be fair Andi you wouldn't use it even if you had the right phone.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

A2 wrote: 2) A feature of "I'm standing on platform X, which way do I turn to get to the front / back of the train" would save the embarrassing cases of knowing the door position is 1/1 or 8/4 for going one stop but being at the wrong end of the train when it pulls in.
Actually, that would be good - the signals are not always obvious!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

al wrote:
A2 wrote: 2) A feature of "I'm standing on platform X, which way do I turn to get to the front / back of the train" would save the embarrassing cases of knowing the door position is 1/1 or 8/4 for going one stop but being at the wrong end of the train when it pulls in.
Actually, that would be good - the signals are not always obvious!
I suspect the actual answer held by any non-casual tube challenger is to "know what you're doing and not rely on an app" though. Many is the time when I've lined myself up perfectly for 1/1 or 7/4 only to find the train going the opposite way to how I remembered though.
- Andrew