world record attempt

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
palkanetoijala31

Re: world record attempt

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

moley wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:i guess you have a claim number? if that so then the claim can be sorted after your actual attempt! but honestly if u think everything is going to plan on the day i think ur going to be in for a bit of a culture shock!

only once on labyrinth day funnily enough did everything work to a sort of norm.

i notice from your research ickenham to west ruislip 6 mins well that is ok but imagine getting out of uxbridge a minute later than u have planned that becomes 5! now i know a lot of people would baulk at 5 mins for that run!.
Where is his research published?
if i can find it so can u moley its in the public domain!
palkanetoijala31

Tube_b wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:You might be able too but dont forget ur not solo ur only as strong as weakest link no offence to geoff here but anthony is obviously the faster runner.

I hate to ask what you believe u can do Cockfosters high Barnet in
i have allowed 20 minutes to get a run + bus connection have done this in 18 minutes before at a slow running pace
you prepared to run the whole lot because I tell you that happens a lot!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I've done Cockfosters :arrow: High Barnet in just over 15 minutes, but I seriously doubt I could replicate the feat easily - there was a 299 outside the station at Cockfosters to get me down to the roundabout, and then a 307 was there within seconds to take me to High Barnet, and the traffic lights were almost all green, and there were no old ladies getting on to slow the bus down, AND the roads were all free of traffic when I wanted to cross so I didn't have to wait for a gap.

In case you are interested in timings, it was 13:21 at Cockfosters and 13:36 and a couple of seconds at High Barnet. If there is no bus momentarily, the run from Cockfosters to the roundabout would be a better option, and assuming a 307 turns up immediately, that would leave the run+bus at about 18 minutes, given optimal traffic lights and no old ladies. Those 307s are old and tired.

It is possible to run it in that sort of time - you just have to be very, very lucky. If you want to plan to the minute, go ahead and do that - but be prepared for anything to go wrong.

Of course, if you enlist a support team of 2000 people and bring enough money, you can edit out random error to an extent - some can dress up as lollipop ladies/men and hold back traffic that could get in your way, others can bribe old ladies to wait for the next bus at bus stops along the way, others can wait at pedestrian crossings to make sure the lights are green for the bus to pass through, you can have people holding the doors for every train, you can have people to hold up your bus for you, you can speed up trains in front of the train you are on so that you aren't held at red signals too much etc. etc.

Then again, although you may walk out of Heathrow Terminal 5/Chesham at the end of the day with a 13 hours, 13 minutes record time, it would be borderline illegal, unsatisfying and frankly would no longer be a challenge.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Tube_b

Post by Tube_b »

Don't even need a support team
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

You need some support for the master stop watch. How are you going to get food, drink etc. you can't carry a whole days supply with you - it just slows you down.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Tube_b

Post by Tube_b »

Yeah, obviously need master stopwatch but don't need food and just carry drink coz its light
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I must be drinking the wrong stuff, it's always the heaviest thing in my bag...
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
palkanetoijala31

I Have a black bum bag which i carry around my neck perfect fit for a small notebook a camera wallet and keys. i take drinks whenever i can buy them but really u dont need them.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Water is always the heaviest thing in my bag.

On a hot day, particularly if you are doing significant runs, you do need regularly to take liquid, otherwise you run the risk of becoming dehydrated. I reckon on a full network when it's warm I get through about two litres. Trying to buy drinks on the go can be risky, as you can't guarantee they will be available when you need them. In particular, many of the platform-side kiosks which sell drinks start closing about mid-afternoon.
palkanetoijala31

well with my run times down to bare minimum and nozza doing amazing times at running himself a new and revised route has our estimated time down to 15h 03m.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Yes have been doing a lot of speed work can now do the mile in under 7 mins and have done lots of hill work which will help with the run from New barnet to Cockfosters. That 12 min train to train looks quite easy now if we need it.

It's amazing that slight adjustment to the route opened up a huge time saving I can't believe we had missed such an obvious set of changes.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Someone has changed their tune on this topic thread with regard to what is possible time wise, or have I missed something is it April 1st :?:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Tube_b

Post by Tube_b »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:well with my run times down to bare minimum and nozza doing amazing times at running himself a new and revised route has our estimated time down to 15h 03m.
well I've got mine down to 14h56m
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'm going out next week to do a 13h 30m.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Tube_b

Post by Tube_b »

☺☺ ha