world record attempt

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
andytube
Zone 2

Re: world record attempt

Post by andytube »

You must have mis-calculated. Cannot see how one can take over an hour from the record.
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I would listen to Andi, as he has held the record a number of times. If that's not enough then listen to me as I wrote the current world record route...

I'm not saying that sub 16 hours is impossible BUT if it was possible to go as quick as you suggest without breaking the rules, you would not be the only one suggesting it.

Rather than continually boast, interact with the group here - there is a lot to learn from the forum including what ideas work on paper but not in practise.

If you don't want to listen to me either, then good luck and let us know when you knock an hour of the record.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Tube_b

Post by Tube_b »

I have tested everything on our route at the exact same time as i will do on the day and everything worked fine
also i am not breaking any rules. I have just found a way to knock an hour and a half of my first estimated time which was 16:29
plus i know that there is someone else on the forum who has the exact same estimated time as mine. So its not totally stupid (i don't think)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

moley wrote:
I'm not saying that sub 16 hours is impossible BUT
I agree with Moley. I am prepared to say that a time of just over 15 hours is impossible within the rules and the current timetable.

When I did my fastest completion a couple of years ago I did an analysis of how my time had been spent:
http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... pic#p63496

I then looked into more detail at each of the components to determine what in theory could be saved. It is on the basis of this analysis that I make my claim.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Please don't think that anyone is considering you stupid ...... Just that you have a very bold claim.

As with life, please go ahead and prove your claim. Please also be gracious enough to come back and tell us what doesn't work that you thought might if you are not sucessful.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I think all the people on here who have had a record time are right to doubt you Barton!

The fastest possible 'perfect' time we came up with was a 15:49, and that relied on making a -30second change at Morden which of course never happened (and on the day, timetabling changes meant that a 15:59 was really a 16:03 and we were two trains down to get a 16:23, which became a 16:20 because our last train very fortunately ran early!), so we'd have to cast doubt on your claim for a 15 hour route.

Many people here have tried, tested, number crunched and put the effort in to know what it and isn't possible. Check that you're not doing something daft like getting a fast Met line train that doesn't stop at certain stations (which doesn't count), or a Piccadilly between Hammersmith and Acton Town without stopping - that sort of thing. you have to stop at every station for it to count! All connections between station must be done on foot or by scheduled public transport. Aaaannnd, yeah - that's pretty much all I can think of that you might be missing!

intrigued to see how your day turns out, I do indeed wish you well.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

A possibility I thought of was that you may have simply skipped back an hour accidentally when timetabling. I have done it before.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:I think all the people on here who have had a record time are right to doubt you Barton!

The fastest possible 'perfect' time we came up with was a 15:49, and that relied on making a -30second change at Morden which of course never happened (and on the day, timetabling changes meant that a 15:59 was really a 16:03 and we were two trains down to get a 16:23, which became a 16:20 because our last train very fortunately ran early!), so we'd have to cast doubt on your claim for a 15 hour route.

Many people here have tried, tested, number crunched and put the effort in to know what it and isn't possible. Check that you're not doing something daft like getting a fast Met line train that doesn't stop at certain stations (which doesn't count), or a Piccadilly between Hammersmith and Acton Town without stopping - that sort of thing. you have to stop at every station for it to count! All connections between station must be done on foot or by scheduled public transport. Aaaannnd, yeah - that's pretty much all I can think of that you might be missing!

intrigued to see how your day turns out, I do indeed wish you well.

Thats not the fastest theoretical time though
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Thats not the fastest theoretical time though
Do theoretical times really matter?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I'll put my two cents in, though having never attempted a full network I don't really have two cents. I'll write you a cheque for two cents, payable when I actually get round to a FNC.

Having done a lot of timetabling, I have never crossed the 16 hour barrier in calculations - I tend to hit somewhere along the lines of 16 hours 5 minutes these days, I forget the exact figures about two minutes after I work them out. Anyone who has seen me on an alternative challenge will know that I never carry a timetable, just a stopwatch and if I'm really planning ahead and on top of my game, a sheet with some hastily scrawled door positions, but I have good approximations for those stored in my head by now. I never carry a timetable because knowing whether you are behind or ahead of schedule does not change how fast you can make a connection, it just makes you worried - just run as fast as you can between trains unless you can see that it will not come in the time it takes you to walk, no matter whether you are ahead or behind is my motto. People with timetables make me skittish and jumpy.

I will say this, though - I occasionally find I have completed an alternative challenge faster than my expected time from timetabling. I do not expect this to happen when I get round to a Full Network, as I would be relying on the entire network to run without delays. Luck can only take you so far, and I find that "so far" is probably somewhere around 6 hours for me before I hit the delays.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
palkanetoijala31

tractakid wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:Thats not the fastest theoretical time though
Do theoretical times really matter?
im trying to point out that while geoff might not be able in theroy to get close to this estimated time i can get closer to the point where i think it is possible.
Tube_b

Post by Tube_b »

Ok so gwr have just sent me an email saying that they can not accept my application because i am not over 16
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

That's bizarre - there's been record holders under 16 before now
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

It's probably just an admin thing that no-one under 16 can submit an application. That does not preclude anyone under 16 holding a record - there must be loads of youth groups who attempt all sorts of records on a daily basis.

More than likely that you will just need someone over 16 to make the application on your behalf.
2 attempts
2 completions
(Not getting much quicker)
palkanetoijala31

i think steven was under 18 when he set the record actually he still looks under 18 now :lol: