Getting from Morden to Wimbledon

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
alexmcmotor
Zone 1

Getting from Morden to Wimbledon

Post by alexmcmotor »

I'm a first time challenger (just for fun, no records) and I'm planning to do it with a friend of mine at the end of August / beginning of September, following the 2009 Labyrinth route, detailed in a video posted by Geoff on Youtube, and it left me with a question.

Getting from Morden to Wimbledon, is it faster to walk (or jog at a push, I'm not much of a runner) straight from Morden to Wimbledon, or backtrack to S. Wimbledon and walk from there, as I've looked on Google Maps and S. Wim. looks much closer?

Cheers,

Alex K
6 FNC Attempts
5 Completions: PB 17:52:44

R15 Victories: 2015-16 R5, 2018-19 R4
Adam9317
Zone 1

Re: Getting from Morden to Wimbledon

Post by Adam9317 »

Having not actually done the challenge but looked at possibilities, I would say if you were running at a decent pace (say under 10 mins/ mile) then its better to go from morden

But if you would be walking/ jogging I would advise south Wimbledon!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Consider train from South Merton/tram from Morden Road. I haven't ever done either of these, I have always ended up on a bus!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I've only done this transfer once, and I used a bus from Wimbledon to South Wimbledon (there are three, and all run at reasonable frequencies) followed by a train to Morden.

If you are going from Morden to Wimbledon, and there is a train leaving soon, I would catch it up to South Wimbledon - this will usually be the best option! If you are going from Wimbledon to Morden, it's a different matter. If there is a FCC service round the Sutton Loop to South Merton, use it. If there is a tram to Morden Road, that's also quite a good option. Otherwise, use a bus to South Wimbledon - the only reason NOT to do this immediately is that Northern Line frequencies are not always that great, because the line is in two branches and thus is a signalling nightmare.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Back in 2004, Geoff and I took the Tram from Wimbledon to Morden Road, and ran down Morden Road to Morden. That's Morden enough Mordens for one sentence.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

It's all about timing - loads of possibilities and which one works best depends on the time of arrival at the first of Morden/Wimbledon.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Run, Bus, Tram and Run, Tram, Run and Bus, Train and run all depends what rocks up when you are in the vicinity.... There is no guaranteed way of knowing what works best in advance or even on the day itself really just have to go with da flow on this little baby....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

I've done this transfer recently (used it on my last FNC) but only from Wimbledon to morden but I guess it would work the other way round, how I do it is Wimbledon :arrow: Merton park on the tram then run from Merton park :arrow: South Wimbledon and backtrack the trip down to morden. But never tried morden road stop before, but as said there are plenty of different options :)
Best FNC time
18:10:37 :)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Just don't take the 163 bus. Really, it's a bad idea.

I have used the 164 bus for something other than a challenge to get between the two, and that's also a bad idea, but not nearly as bad as the 163.

It really depends where you are arriving first, and if you know the timings of the FCC or the tram in advance. If you're coming into Wimbledon, then you'll know whether the FCC or the tram is leaving soon. If you're coming into Morden, you probably won't, and in that case it's probably a good idea to head for South Wimbledon and a bus.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

That's my usual approach - except we quickly check if a 93 is waiting at Morden
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

mrredrunner100 wrote:I've done this transfer recently (used it on my last FNC) but only from Wimbledon to morden but I guess it would work the other way round, how I do it is Wimbledon :arrow: Merton park on the tram then run from Merton park :arrow: South Wimbledon and backtrack the trip down to morden. But never tried morden road stop before, but as said there are plenty of different options :)
Tram to merton park unless it was leaving in under 1 minute i can get there before that tram would easily by running it.

i have done this every way and the logic from my all logbooks states the train is the best way to get the minimal connection if at right timing then the tram then running from morden rd,but if u can run it whole way which i have done several times it gives u a set time for it.
Tube_b

Post by Tube_b »

Always take tram to morden rd then run to morden
if u time it right you will do it in 10 minutes or other way round
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Everyone will have planned their optimum way of doing the connection but it's all down to what's there when you get there.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

nozzacook wrote:Everyone will have planned their optimum way of doing the connection but it's all down to what's there when you get there.

Is the correct answer.......
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold