heathrow connect/heathrow express accpetable?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

heathrow connect/heathrow express accpetable?

Post by mrredrunner100 »

hi

when tube challenging are you allowed to use the heathrow services to get back into paddington and places or not because looking at the map it goes outside the london underground zones and i wondered if you can use it, i know you have to have another ticket but for tube challenge purposes can you use it?

thanks

mrredrunner100
Best FNC time
18:10:37 :)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: heathrow connect/heathrow express accpetable?

Post by greatkingrat »

As long as it is public transport, you can use whatever you want. You could go Amersham - Aylesbury - West Ruislip if you wanted, although it probably wouldn't help very much!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

awesome, that helps a lot with the heathrow stuff, not sure about alyesbury either :)

thanks

mrredrunner100
Best FNC time
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

The requirement is to arrive at and/or depart from every station served by London Underground by train, which can be either London Underground or National Rail, providing they serve the same tracks.

So to "do" Heathrow, you have to do Hatton Cross - Heathrow Terminal 4 - Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3 - Heathrow Terminal 5 or Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3 - Heathrow Terminal 5 - Hatton Cross - Heathrow Terminal 4 wholly on the Piccadilly Line.

As a further example, you can use Chiltern Railways services between Rickmansworth and Amersham, as they call at all intermediate stations, but not between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Rickmansworth as they run non-stop.

Similarly, on the Bakerloo Line, you can use London Overground services between Kensal Green and Harrow & Wealdstone as they serve the same platforms as the Bakerloo, but not between Queens Park and Kensal Green as the two lines have separate platforms.

Passing through a station without stopping is only acceptable for long term planned work, such as the closure of Blackfriars during the rebuilding work. "Normal" engineering closures, or limited opening hours, don't count.
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

barrykas wrote: Similarly, on the Bakerloo Line, you can use London Overground services between Kensal Green and Harrow & Wealdstone as they serve the same platforms as the Bakerloo, but not between Queens Park and Kensal Green as the two lines have separate platforms.
You can use the Overground all the way to Queen's Park as you would presumably be leaving Queens Park on a Bakerloo anyway. Plus the Bakerloo line can use the Overground platforms on rare occasions anyway.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

this is one case where the wormhole at archway would be a great idea because at t5 the heathrow exprss is the other side of the glass.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

barrykas wrote:The requirement is to arrive at and/or depart from every station served by London Underground by train, which can be either London Underground or National Rail, providing they serve the same tracks.
there's a further requirement though about only using public, scheduled transport or on foot. The scheduled is important because otherwise taxis would be allowed. In theory I think a river ferry trip would be legit, although I've yet to devise a route that includes it.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

awesome thanks for the replys, am i right in thinking that if we use heathrow servicies we need to get another/different ticket other than the travel card or can you use the travel cards with them?
Best FNC time
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I think within HR they are free - so I had a route a while back that went Hatton X to T4 and then used the express to get to T5 and then tubed it up from there. However if you want to go beyond HR you need to pay extra. How likely you are to get spotted is another matter.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Every train is ticket checked on the express between Heathrow and Paddington.

Single bought before boarding is £20 on train £25 on the express.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

Iain wrote:I think within HR they are free - so I had a route a while back that went Hatton X to T4 and then used the express to get to T5 and then tubed it up from there. However if you want to go beyond HR you need to pay extra. How likely you are to get spotted is another matter.
what does HR mean?
Best FNC time
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

mrredrunner100 wrote:
Iain wrote:I think within HR they are free - so I had a route a while back that went Hatton X to T4 and then used the express to get to T5 and then tubed it up from there. However if you want to go beyond HR you need to pay extra. How likely you are to get spotted is another matter.
what does HR mean?
heathrow
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Yes, Heathrow

I seem to recall that one of Geoff's early attempts used the Heathrow Express
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

we are only going as far as ealing broadway, i have looked if we buy the ticket then its not too much more expensive with my railcard
Best FNC time
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

If going on Heathrow Connect you would only need a ticket as far as Hayes & Harlington. You can then use your travelcard the rest of the way.