Kensington Olympia Shuttle Updated Question!

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Adam9317
Zone 1

Kensington Olympia Shuttle Updated Question!

Post by Adam9317 »

Does anyone have the dates that the Kensington Olympia shuttle will be running for the full day on the exhibition service?

I know on exhibition days they are scheduled to leave Earls court at 14 and 44 minutes past the hour.

What time are they due to leave Olympia at?

Many thanks
nozzacook
All Zones

Re: Kensington Olympia Shuttle Updated Question!

Post by nozzacook »

28 & 58. But there are no exhibition day services scheduled before April.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Adam9317
Zone 1

Post by Adam9317 »

nozzacook wrote:28 & 58. But there are no exhibition day services scheduled before April.
Brilliant, thankyou.

Do you know what the scheduled exhibition services are?
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

None listed. I was expecting these dates to be but instead. 10-11, 21, 27-28 February a replacement bus service will operate:
Earls Court-Olympia-West Ken-West Brompton-Earls Court.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Adam9317
Zone 1

Post by Adam9317 »

nozzacook wrote:None listed. I was expecting these dates to be but instead. 10-11, 21, 27-28 February a replacement bus service will operate:
Earls Court-Olympia-West Ken-West Brompton-Earls Court.
There is a Freedom of information request which should be answered within the next few days but I was just asking if anyone had them now, but obviously not!
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

hi

i tweeted the district line twitter account about the olympia service, (i know this isnt olympia exhibition days but this may help) and they came back with this:

@mrredrunner100 For @districtline timetable please see link. http://ow.ly/sfV3V I hope this helps..

and i have been using this

hope this helps

mrredrunner100
Best FNC time
18:10:37 :)
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

this is very interesting - as the PDF timetable on the TFL website shows the additonal services (14 past the hour from Olympia) that have been added, that are apparently test runs for the new stock?

So one can only assume these will run....?
or is that naive thinking lol?
mrredrunner100 wrote:hi

i tweeted the district line twitter account about the olympia service, (i know this isnt olympia exhibition days but this may help) and they came back with this:

@mrredrunner100 For @districtline timetable please see link. http://ow.ly/sfV3V I hope this helps..

hope this helps

mrredrunner100
Completed the Tube Challenge - 25th Apr 2014 - 270 stations in 19hours, 15 mins
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

perficad wrote:this is very interesting - as the PDF timetable on the TFL website shows the additonal services (14 past the hour from Olympia) that have been added, that are apparently test runs for the new stock?

hope this helps

mrredrunner100
i can tell you for a fact that at 12:14 friday 3rd jan that train was not there as i was there before going to pub
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

perficad wrote:this is very interesting - as the PDF timetable on the TFL website shows the additonal services (14 past the hour from Olympia) that have been added, that are apparently test runs for the new stock?

hope this helps

mrredrunner100
i managed to catch the 14:14 when i went up on the 3rd and it was the new stock
palkanetoijala31 wrote:

hope this helps

mrredrunner100
i can tell you for a fact that at 12:14 friday 3rd jan that train was not there as i was there before going to pub
would they be potential trains rather than they are gaurenteed to run? so they are published like this just in case they do actually run?
Best FNC time
kateyay
Zone 3

Post by kateyay »

mrredrunner100 wrote: would they be potential trains rather than they are gaurenteed to run? so they are published like this just in case they do actually run?
This path has been made available in the timetable, so that staff can be trained on operating S Stock trains on the District line, before their full District Line roll-out over the coming couple of years to replace D Stock.

As such, because the training pathway is dependent on available instructors, available stock and available staff, it's not a guaranteed service in any way! It's a space in the timetable for a train to run, however there is absolutely no way of telling if it will, or not.

In addition, a train could easily run on one pathway one hour and return - but then not the next hour. This is no fun for tube challengers - as if you had a support team member at Olympia, watching for services, even if they see one, it is not a guarantee that more will be running throughout the day.
Adam9317
Zone 1

Post by Adam9317 »

I got a reply from TFL about the exhibition day services to Olympia for 2014. The dates were:

Friday 18th April
Monday 21st April
Monday 5th May
Monday 26th May
Monday 25th August

To me these don't seem very frequent, although to me they look like bank holidays!
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Adam9317 wrote:I got a reply from TFL about the exhibition day services to Olympia for 2014. The dates were:

Friday 18th April
Monday 21st April
Monday 5th May
Monday 26th May
Monday 25th August

To me these don't seem very frequent, although to me they look like bank holidays!
These are indeed bank holidays and, as such, are not when a special exhibition service is running. I suspect you just received the usual uninformed misinformation about Olympia services as I did when I e-mailed and phoned them last year (the exchanges are described in another thread).

It would seem clear that TfL don't want to run any peak hours Olympia services, but equally wish to avoid all the legal procedures that applying for a full removal of service would entail. It will be interesting to note when they reply to the current FOI request whether they will be running any more in the foreseeable future. It certainly does not make life easy for potential full network challengers.

The fact that the training runs appear on the current station timetable for Olympia, I guess is just a consequence of them being computer generated from the WTTs without anyone having the wit to check the code indicating that they only run when required. Again, it sadly just typifies TfL's contemptuous attitude to providing reliable information about Olympia services.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote: It will be interesting to note when they reply to the current FOI request whether they will be running any more in the foreseeable future.
The FOI request that I referred to has been answered today. The only two times that TfL are planning to run Exhibition services in 2014 are for the British Beer Festival in August and the International Horse Show in December. So it looks like all the other events at Olympia are no longer deemed big enough to warrant a service.
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

something thats puzzled me, as the olympia section doesn't see much use, why don't they just close it?, because it is still served with the overground and southern network, but thinking about it when it is used for the events it does provide extra trains.

what would happen in this senarieo?
Best FNC time
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

mrredrunner100 wrote:something thats puzzled me, as the olympia section doesn't see much use, why don't they just close it?, because it is still served with the overground and southern network, but thinking about it when it is used for the events it does provide extra trains.
For much the same reason as train companies run minimal numbers of trains over otherwise disused lines: It's cheaper to run a train (often in one direction) over a stretch of track once a week than it is to go through the procedures required to close it.

In some cases (such as trains on the Metropolitan Line running from Rickmansworth to Watford via the North curve), trains run more frequently than the legal minimum so as to maintain traincrew route knowledge for diversionary routes. (On National Rail, if you don't work a train over a line at least every six months, you can't do so until such time as you've had a refresher, even if nothing's changed).
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk