Tube Challenge Loopholes

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
The Orange One
All Zones

Tube Challenge Loopholes

Post by The Orange One »

A thread to discuss loopholes! Perhaps at some point, a merge with "Finish a tube challenge on foot". Here's a particularly interesting one...

You start a challenge at Upminster. The aging D Stock first train of the day you board has developed a mechanical fault, which unfortunately does not show up with the driver. This fault means the doors do not completely close, and the train moves off without the doors closed. When do you start your stopwatch, given the doors have not yet closed?

Now assume the train is taken out of service at Hornchurch or such-like because the doors have still not closed. Do you log a time of 0h 0m 0s and laugh thinking of all those silly challengers of the past who are running around all day as you stroll casually around the network, or do you have to start again?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Iain
All Zones

Re: Tube Challenge Loopholes

Post by Iain »

Hmm if you haven't started the watch then the challenge hasn't started so I'd say a "visit" wouldn't count.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The Orange One wrote:and the train moves off without the doors closed.
Impossible, unless the driver overrides it (assuming they can on certain stock), which would result in him being in deep shit. So this one is academic.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Bit similar to the S-Stock, when do you start the clock? When the door close or when the light goes out on the 'open' button
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

In S-Stock surely the last point you could intervene is the point where the doors actually close for the final time at which point you should start the clock. However, deliberately obstructing the doors to force a late departure on first train of the day should be classed as un-gentlemanly which probably won't stop people doing it.

For an unlikely case where the driver leaves the original station without the doors closed then the best you can do is the point where the train starts moving. In the example, if the train left Upminster without the doors closed and you only started the clock at Hornchurch / Upminster Bridge (or wherever the train was taken out of service) then imho you'd be counted as not visiting Upminster (or any points in between). Either the train counts for time and stops or it doesn't.. you can't have both in which case the final closing of the train doors (or all the train doors except yours) must count as the timing point.
- Andrew
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The Raven wrote:Bit similar to the S-Stock, when do you start the clock? When the door close or when the light goes out on the 'open' button
I for S stock would count when the door lights go out as that when they are locked ready for departure (same on things like the NLL challenge with the 378 stock).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tangy wrote:
The Raven wrote:Bit similar to the S-Stock, when do you start the clock? When the door close or when the light goes out on the 'open' button
I for S stock would count when the door lights go out as that when they are locked ready for departure (same on things like the NLL challenge with the 378 stock).
How about you do it from when the train starts moving? After all, you're not actually travelling anywhere while doors are closing and lights are going out. Once again, you're all making this much more complicated than it actually is.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

According to Geoff's website, the official rules state "The clock must start the moment the doors close on the first train taken by the challengers", so the stuff about wjen the lights go out or the train starts moving aren't relevant :)
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

What I always do when starting a challenge on S stock (or other trains with doors which may automatically close at times when the train is not yet ready to depart) is to manually press the door open button until the final door close can't countermanded, and then start timing from when the doors fully close for this final time.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Nigel wrote:What I always do when starting a challenge on S stock (or other trains with doors which may automatically close at times when the train is not yet ready to depart) is to manually press the door open button until the final door close can't countermanded, and then start timing from when the doors fully close for this final time.
Exactly what I have done. Blooming cold way of doing it though!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*