Croxley go-ahead

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
geofftech
All Zones

Re: Croxley go-ahead

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 18 Nov 2013, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

hopeful traveller wrote:My plan trounces you all. :twisted:
I call trolling
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:oh great, another classic "i've got a great thing to tell you, but i'm not going to tell you". just what we need.

there and back would only add 20 minutes to the overall time off of a NW start, so unless any of these alternatives can beat that, the simplest way is going to be to do nothing fancy at all!

of course if the first Chesham train of the day still goes round the North Curve to Watford Junction though, that'll be interesting...

do London Midland trains stop at both Watford Junction, and then fast to H&W? no need to get a slow stopping Overground service, right?
Well if Mr politician does have a plan which on personal expierance of his tube exploits wont be anything special I think it is his right to stay silent on it

You can hardly have a go at him Geoff seeing as you continually bring up that you do runs that people haven't done before or have even thought about would you care to tell us those runs hmm let me think probably not!.

would I give away the current record starting and finish points connections hmm let me think no and why should I or steve do so so im sticking behind mr rhys on this one

besides any possible alternatives you have 3 years to discuss research timetable plan run dismiss think again outside box inside box around the box etc
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

geofftech wrote:oh great, another classic "i've got a great thing to tell you, but i'm not going to tell you". just what we need.

there and back would only add 20 minutes to the overall time off of a NW start, so unless any of these alternatives can beat that, the simplest way is going to be to do nothing fancy at all!

of course if the first Chesham train of the day still goes round the North Curve to Watford Junction though, that'll be interesting...

do London Midland trains stop at both Watford Junction, and then fast to H&W? no need to get a slow stopping Overground service, right?
London Midland and Southern. All Southerns do, although there are quite a few LM trains that don't stop at Watford Junction and/or Harrow and Wealdstone. Frequency is LM- 2tph off peak, SN 1tph off peak.

In response to your first comment... I can't work out whether you are an advocate for secrecy or telling everyone everything.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Just read this on Wikipedia... (it must be true!)

"London TravelWatch believes that there is a business case for a Croxley Rail Link that retains Watford station as part of a split service, albeit with fewer overall benefits than LUL’s preferred option. The Panel recommends that a split service is trialled, serving both Watford and Watford Junction stations, to determine passenger numbers and issues involved with the running of a split service prior to a final decision on the closure of Watford station. The trial could last for two years from the opening of the Croxley Rail Link to 2018 when the new signalling is due to be completed on the Metropolitan line when there will, presumably, be major re-timetabling programme."

Should this happen... would the record be reset for 2 years or would everything effectively be 'on hold'?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

tractakid wrote:Just read this on Wikipedia... (it must be true!)

"London TravelWatch believes that there is a business case for a Croxley Rail Link that retains Watford station as part of a split service, albeit with fewer overall benefits than LUL’s preferred option. The Panel recommends that a split service is trialled, serving both Watford and Watford Junction stations, to determine passenger numbers and issues involved with the running of a split service prior to a final decision on the closure of Watford station. The trial could last for two years from the opening of the Croxley Rail Link to 2018 when the new signalling is due to be completed on the Metropolitan line when there will, presumably, be major re-timetabling programme."

Should this happen... would the record be reset for 2 years or would everything effectively be 'on hold'?
According to the article posted on London Reconnections:

"As a result of the restricted costs, there is an emphasis on reusing existing assets to create the extension. This means that those expecting some element of the existing track and station at Watford to remain in place for future use will probably be disappointed. Track and ballast will be pulled up and reused where possible, and the ticket machines and other internal station assets will likely be reused at Ascot Road."
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Which seems like the most likely and most sensible option. But what if...
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

If equipment and parts where transported from Watford to Ascot Road, then Watford would presumably close before the extention.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

They could still keep enough of the track to stable a couple of trains, without needing to go all the way to Watford (Met).
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

In fact everyone is missing a trick on this :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Going Underground wrote:In fact everyone is missing a trick on this :wink:
I have a funny feeling that that's what I'm thinking...
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Got nothing on my Debden Shuffle.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Nah, clearly this is what you've got to do:

Central line to Epping
Heritage Railway to Ongar
20 bus to Brentwood
Greater Anglia to Shenfield and then on to Southend Airport
Easyjet to Amsterdam
Easyjet to Luton
FCC to Mill Hill Broadway
221 to MHE.

Just in time for the next MHE shuttle!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

No you're wrong. You don't consider Regent's Park at all in your route planning.