Finish your Tube Challenge on foot as opposed to on a train?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Finish your Tube Challenge on foot as opposed to on a tr

Post by tractakid »

GuyBarry wrote:I'm a complete novice and don't normally comment on stuff here. But, interpreting the rules entirely literally, I see things like this:

Assuming that Chesham is the final station, you need to arrive and/or depart Chesham by an underground train in normal public service, and the clock stops the moment you set foot on the platform at Chesham.

So you run to Chesham, put your foot on the platform, and immediately stop the clock. You then wait for the next underground train in normal public service and depart. You've fulfilled both the rules - the time spent waiting for the train doesn't count. The fact that the train is going on to Chalfont and Latimer is irrelevant, as you've already visited it.

Maybe this is outside the spirit of the rules but I think it's entirely within the letter!
That's like saying 'ill stop the clock immediately after leaving heathrow' because 'im going to finish the rest of the stations anyway'. Which is clearly a load of nonsense. While you still have rules to satisfy, the clock still runs.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I wouldn't say it is within the letter of the law, you haven't visited Chesham until the train departs, and then you have to get your foot onto the platform.

It does leave the somewhat odd situation that you can depart Chesham but not get your foot onto the platform (when the clock is stopped) until 9 minutes after the departure.

I doubt it's cropped up in a full network but it probably has in an r15 or similar
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

It's happened at least 3 times on challenges I have attended. My DLR challenge finished at Shadwell over 10 minutes after arriving at my last station (Tower Gateway). A2 finished the last R15 at Edgware Road after last station was Paddington H+C. The Raven finished the Posh challenge at South Ruislip after arriving at Ruislip Gardens by bus, I believe. I have also considered it in other situations, indeed I intended to do it at the last R15 o my failed plan.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

I ran from Ruislip to Ruislip Gardens I think in the cold and dark!

Another R15 that I departed the final station was my first one. Where me, Myles, Al, Andi and Matt N? ran to North Acton and got the train to East Acton. With the clock stopping at East Acton.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think it was Starkey who famously finished a Zone 1 challenge at West Kensington.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Iain wrote:I wouldn't say it is within the letter of the law, you haven't visited Chesham until the train departs, and then you have to get your foot onto the platform.
Right, but the rules don't explicitly state that you have to get your foot onto the platform after formally "visiting" the station. They just say that the clock stops "the moment the challengers set foot on the platform at the last station". Obviously they were written under the assumption that challengers would be arriving at the last station by train. If (as Tubeguru says) this is a formal requirement, shouldn't it be written into the rules?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:
Iain wrote:I wouldn't say it is within the letter of the law, you haven't visited Chesham until the train departs, and then you have to get your foot onto the platform.
Right, but the rules don't explicitly state that you have to get your foot onto the platform after formally "visiting" the station. They just say that the clock stops "the moment the challengers set foot on the platform at the last station". Obviously they were written under the assumption that challengers would be arriving at the last station by train. If (as Tubeguru says) this is a formal requirement, shouldn't it be written into the rules?
You know Guinness's address ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

One has to arrive or depart each station by tube train. The rules are absolute in this matter.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote:One has to arrive or depart each station by tube train. The rules are absolute in this matter.
So why has everyone been arguing about them then?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

tractakid wrote:A2 finished the last R15 at Edgware Road after last station was Paddington H+C
That wasn't in the plan, I got lost :(
- Andrew
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

GuyBarry wrote:
True, it's not explicit, but I think it's implicit. It's reasonable to assume you'd have to have visited (which in this case means departed) the station before stopping the clock, so that dictates that it must be the foot onto the platform at the next station. The alternative is to stop the watch before you're finished which makes no sense.

Having said that I'm concocting scenarios involving pulling the passenger alarm when the front half of the train has departed the station and running back down the train to leap onto the platform
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

...or you could amputate your foot before departing the last station :lol:
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Iain wrote:...or you could amputate your foot before departing the last station :lol:
Iain's guide to getting a GWR, due to be released 07/09/13. Preorder now!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I think we could all write our own guides I personally like the ******** guide
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Iain wrote:...or you could amputate your foot before departing the last station :lol:
If you could do that, you could only break the record twice....
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record