15%
16th August
21%

Total votes: 39

hopeful traveller
All Zones

Re: Fantastic August Race around the Tube- August 13th

Post by hopeful traveller »

It's done - my account of the Tube Challenge. Well worth a read. And a +1. http://rhysbenjamin.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... te-up.html
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

hopeful traveller wrote:It's done - my account of the Tube Challenge. Well worth a read. And a +1. http://rhysbenjamin.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... te-up.html
Nothing like bigging up your own creations.

Beware while reading- some things in true Benjamin style are either massively over exaggerated or interpreted wrongly, like the Barking map. The train we were on SHOULD skip barking, it ALWAYS does. The map simply shows that there are c2c trains that stop at Barking.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Enjoyable read :P
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tractakid wrote: Beware while reading- some things in true Benjamin style are either massively over exaggerated or interpreted wrongly, like the Barking map. The train we were on SHOULD skip barking, it ALWAYS does. The map simply shows that there are c2c trains that stop at Barking.
Maybe he was under the impression that all mainline trains stop at all stations.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Most trains do call at Barking, here's a list of all those that don't...

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/ ... show_stp=1
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

There are also some peak trains that don't stop at West Ham, so you need to be careful if you're jumping on a train at Upminster at the last minute.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

greatkingrat wrote:There are also some peak trains that don't stop at West Ham, so you need to be careful if you're jumping on a train at Upminster at the last minute.
One of which sailed past before our UPM train!
hakc96
Zone 1

Post by hakc96 »

tubeguru wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:as you can see i think the tube challenge has got more popular these days its all thanks to geoff and other trail blazers like sam and hakan
Indeed, all thanks to them.

But if only someone could set up a forum somewhere, where people could discuss the tube challenge. That would probably help raise awareness too.
I'm just gonna jump into this conversation here. I think we should make a group for Tube Challenge Enthusiasts on facebook.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote:
I've finally had an e-mail reply from TfL today (i.e. on the second day of the Beer Festival). Here's what it said:
"Thank you for your follow-up email of 6 August regarding District line services to Kensington (Olympia).
I can confirm that there will not be a special District line service during the Great British Beer Festival. London Overground services do stop at Kensignton Olympia regularly and is the best way to travel to the venue."
I replied, slightly sarcastically, to TfL enquiries to their e-mail saying that the Exhibition Service was not running, pointing out that I had caught it the day before their response.

I've just had another reply in which the individual with whom I had been corresponding said that he realised that the information he had provided to me was incorrect when he attended the Beer Festival himself on Thursday evening and returned to Earl's Court on a special District line service! At least he was honest.

Give the lack of knowledge within TfL about what is going on (also see Diamond Geezer's excellent blog post about it on 18 August), I think a more formal letter to TfL is appropriate to see if they can get their act together when (or should that be if) they ever run an Exhibition Service again.