Same Rails rule...

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
palkanetoijala31

Re: Same Rails rule...

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Iain wrote:Someone has to ask - what's a tripcock?
its where u cock is so long that u trip over it while walking
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Iain wrote:Someone has to ask - what's a tripcock?
A tripcock is a device which hangs down on the side of a tube train, and is "tripped" (or activated) if it passes over a raised train stop. Every signal has a train stop, and the stop is raised when the signal is a at danger. It therefore follows that if it is lowered (signal showing a proceed aspect) the tripcock will not be affected.

Because the Chiltern 165s run over LUL signalling, they MUST be fitted with tripcocks, otherwise they have no safety feature to prevent them passing a red signal.

More here: http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Signa ... photos.htm
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Right... experts of the same rails rule.

A test.

Please explain to me why, on a London Overground challenge, it is permissable to visit Barking only using a c2c train.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

scrxisi wrote:
Nigel wrote:... but where a service is shared by underground and British Rail trains travelling over the same tracks it is permissible to use the British Rail trains...
C2C and LO don't share any service; they might share rails for a little bit, but there's nowhere you could use one or the other to do the same journey.

So you can't?
I don't know of the same service rule, only the same rails rule!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

it's part of the wording of the same rails rule - and why I think my start to the Royal challenge wasn't legit.

I can't see why you'd want to just visit Barking by c2c as it seems to visit Woodgrange Park etc that to/from Barking is the obvious way to go, but if you do only visit by c2c on an OG challemge then I'd say it wasn't a visit
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

GOBLIN trains at Barking (BKG) only use platform 1 (or occasionally platform 7 when running to from the depot). Two units do stable in c2c's East Ham depot overnight.

There is some c2c trains (especially when weekend works close Fenchurch) which do divert to Liverpool Street from BKG via a bit of the GOBLIN to Woodgrange Park Junction, however these are next stop Stratford (they do not call at Woodgrange Park).

Therefore the two companies may share a bit of track, however since c2c do not call at Woodgrange Park, the same rails rule does not apply. A visit to BKG on a LO challenge can only be done on a GOBLIN train.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

tangy wrote:GOBLIN trains at Barking (BKG) only use platform 1 (or occasionally platform 7 when running to from the depot). Two units do stable in c2c's East Ham depot overnight.

There is some c2c trains (especially when weekend works close Fenchurch) which do divert to Liverpool Street from BKG via a bit of the GOBLIN to Woodgrange Park Junction, however these are next stop Stratford (they do not call at Woodgrange Park).

Therefore the two companies may share a bit of track, however since c2c do not call at Woodgrange Park, the same rails rule does not apply. A visit to BKG on a LO challenge can only be done on a GOBLIN train.
Where in the rule does it state a train must call? It might be implied, but it isn't explicitly stated.

As far as I am concerned, using a c2c towards or from Liverpool Street (but NOT Fenchurch Street) should be valid because Goblin trains use P7 or 8 at least once daily, and share the same rails (what the rule is about) to Woodgrange Park. Please bear in mind that the service to/from Liverpool Street is a standard schedule daily, and not a 'divert'.

It's very unlikely this would ever come up in a challenge, but is an interesting thought exercise at least.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

They share a service over that section of track.

I'm probably moving towards a position of devil's advocate.

I still think these odd little facts are interesting
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

"Moving towards"?

You've been employed by Beelzebub for ages ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

tubeguru wrote:You've been employed by Beelzebub for ages ...
Eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments will be a picnic compared to five minutes with me and this pencil...
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

To me a service is about transferring people from station A to station B - without the same A and B it's not a shared service.

Trains don't drop people off at intermediate points so that doesn't count as a service IMO
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)