CHILDREN IN NEED 2013

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: CHILDREN IN NEED 2013

Post by The Orange One »

Apparently there is a "Good Service" at the moment. Hahaha.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Orange One wrote:Apparently there is a "Good Service" at the moment. Hahaha.
Well that's ruined any chances of a GWR.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Roll on full network 23 after yesterday....

All 3 teams started from Chesham together, Steve Paull :shock: first attempt in 10 years was solo
Andi, Glen, Adham, Tangy
Nozza, Nozza Jnr, Andrew (A2) and Kev

We all had to re-start due to things going wrong at Chalfont & Latimer would put pressure on a finish which I know Andi's team didn't manage and we run out of time to do Epping, Hainault loop area and ended up with only a 249 out of 270

No idea how Steve got on :?:

A crazy day, at least 3 wrong board indicators meant that we went to wrong platforms to see trains depart....

A schoolboy error where we doubled back a section on the wrong train as we didn't see the destination indicator as we were debating a route change on the opposite platform.....

Running out of West Ruislip, seeing the U1 close doors and depart

Defective Jubilee train making a horrible noise and stopping out of line with outer doors, at one stop it was at least 4 feet out and the train doors opened but the external doors didn't until manually forced by stretching around and passengers squeezed out a small gap :shock:

Missing a sweet Ken 'O' due to a 5 min delay for no reason on departure from Wimbledon

Not being able to get across a busy road in time for a perfect "loop" train doors closed as we hit the platform :(

Bus debacle at High Barnet resulting in +40mins platform to platform at Cockfosters :!:

A horrible foul mouthed drunk on a bus from Canons Park to Edgware shouting and swearing at the driver to get a move on so he could get home for the football as he was trying to negotiate heavy traffic and parked cars due to the Wembley fixture. It got very ugly with other passengers the driver had to stop and also had put the CCTV warning message on.. We ended up running half way in the end..

The final twist of fate was that we should have had a 1 minute terminus double back but as our train crawled in and stopped our doors opened as the departing train doors closed....

So pretty much a disaster despite running hard, busting a gut all day and would certainly have aborted but for the sponsorship where some had donated on a "stations visited" basis.
Will be looking at earlier start next time to ensure completion as not been getting around much in recent attempts
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

A harsh day Kev! Sounds like it would have been a cooked breakfast if not for the sponsorship.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

al wrote:A harsh day Kev! Sounds like it would have been a cooked breakfast if not for the sponsorship.
And 1 or 2 ales Al...!
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

It was a day of if it could go wrong it would. There were some up sides though we had an excellent Upminster. And a new run. looking back with the late start I'm surprised we made so many stations and if it had not been for Kev's per station sponsorship we probably would have aborted early on.

249 Station time 16hours 30 mins
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

nozzacook wrote:It was a day of if it could go wrong it would.
Including leaving your watch at the Hotel and losing your ticket when popping out for a comfort break that you never actually got at Earls Court costing another £8.90!
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Well for my first ever attempt at a full network it was a great day (or part of day in my case), despite the errors and varying setbacks that occurred.

First and foremost though, a massive thank you to Going Underground and nozzacook for letting me join up with them, even with the caveat of expected slowness, very much appreciated.

Some positives:
Put a pound coin into the parking machine at Chalfont & Latimer, it was rejected, but there was another coin there as well... profit!
The runs we did weren't as bad as feared (running is not one of my strong points and it was something I'd been worrying about), and it was great to arrive somewhere to find nozzacook saying "we did that in X minutes, which is within schedule".
Nice Aldgate East - Aldgate change.
Sufficient time while waiting for a bus to nip into the adjacent Sainsburys and get a meal-deal for lunch (not to self, bring packed lunch)
It was lovely weather!

Some downsides:
Fitness needs improving, more speed and more stamina. Will have to work on this.
Getting on the wrong train.
West Acton (and North Acton to a point)... seriously sick of the sight of them. If they come out in the next R15 draw I'm going straight to the pub!
2 1/2 hour drive home from Chalfont & Latimer due to silly traffic on M25 and surrounding routes.
Having to head home due to Saturday plans changing, although at my (admittedly rough) count I went to 136 stations which is 50.3% so less than half to go!

Some random notes:
We went properly "underground" after eating very late lunch / early breakfast around 11:00.
Out first escalator of the day was at around 11:30.
As we all clattered through the Chesham ticket barriers at speed one of the commuters said something along the lines of "its those tube challenge people again".

...although we did debate on the long ride down from Upminster whether or not the early restart means that I've technically had two attempts now.

Great day, will attempt again.
- Andrew
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Yes it was lovely weather. I think it was Kevin that mentioned it.

At least the hotel have my watch and are posting it down.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

nozzacook wrote:Yes it was lovely weather. I think it was Kevin that mentioned it.
Only once or twice though.
- Andrew
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I will report after ff plans which are happening as I type this
old geezer
Zone 1

Post by old geezer »

Hi everyone, especially those I met on Friday's attempt. It was flattering to be remembered after 10 years.

I only ever completed the system once and that was from a Heathrow start. It has always gone wrong for me using Chesham.

Like the teams I had a bad time on the day as well. I reduced the 30 minutes lost at Chalfont to 22, but in the early evening almost every change led to "next train 7 minutes". This was the rush hour!

Once I was convinced I wouldn't compete I set off for home. Total stations 231 in just over 15 hours.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Oh I think I forgot to mention that it was lovely weather on the day :D
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Going Underground wrote:Oh I think I forgot to mention that it was lovely weather on the day :D
Absolutely gorgeous!
- Andrew