Tube Olympics - Event 6 - Full Network - Thursday 26th July

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
palkanetoijala31

Re: Tube Olympics - Event 6 - Full Network - Thursday 26th J

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Well it was a privelage to go round with anthony we had a lot of fun and yes he is very fit i was very impressed with his pace!

we started off on the first train out of t4 and we got out at Barons Court we were surprised not to see the other 3 get out as well as they must have known they would have a long wait for the district as we passed it at Acton Town.

We made really good progress i had to adapt my route for anthony pace a little so we actually did some clever time saving ideas that Anthony might use on a future challenge perhaps.And yes i made him run 3 runs he had never considered actually doing before i think he realsies now why i have minimum times for each connections.

Other mentions is we might be in the metro as we ran into the olympics metro correspondant up to epping and back we also spoke to a locog representive at t4

driver of the day the rayners lane driver who reopened his doors after we had done a west harrow double back turned out to be pointless in end but nice anyway.

crap driver of day watford driver wins hands down useless

best moment for anthony bus 107 to make his fastest h barnet - cockfosters connection train to train heard later on team kevin also did exactly same time.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
best moment for anthony bus 107 to make his fastest h barnet - cockfosters connection train to train heard later on team kevin also did exactly same time.
Indeed we picked up a 307 within 1 minute and after the run left Cockfosters within 2 mins, a bit that actually worked for us :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:crap driver of day watford driver wins hands down useless
In what way was he "useless"?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

What a hard slog just got back to Penzance and can hardly walk with a pulled ham string. as Kev said we had a good start to the day but it all went south at about 5ish at west harrow.
we missed a couple of trains later on mainly due to my slow running but was surprised to medal.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Is medal now a verb?

Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Some highs and lows from team Tangy. This is by no means in any particular order.

--Absolute rubbish Wimbledon- Morden transfer. Took 28 minutes! Tram in 10 minutes, train in 12, ran outside bus 131 pulled away! Got to South Wimbo- next southbound in 7 minutes!!! Though when I did finally get to Morden (by bus) the next train out was direct to MHE.

--A whole 15 minutes at Watford Met and 10 minutes at Harrow & Wealdstone. That's 25 minutes of unproductive time! :x

--A fantastic 4.5 minute run between the two Leytonstone's and just (literally) got the GOBLIN! Seeing that train rumble over the bridge I found an extra bit of pace from somewhere to bound up the stairs.

--Bus 307 pulling up within one minute at High Barnet but lost some of that advantage at Cockfosters trying to work out what train was out first- too late...

--Richmond branch pretty slow, not least waiting 4-5 minutes at Gunnersbury North junction to let a NLL train across! Then at Richmond no other trains in at all...

--Just missing the signal failure at Rayners Lane (which suspended part of the Picc) by only a few minutes.

--Must say the air-con the the new S stock really does work, cooled down in no time. Maybe the Bakerloo could do with some, the 72 stock I got on was an oven!

--Although I enjoyed the challenge of actaully doing a Full Network solo, of course I didn't even have my route timetabled through the WTT's (except the first bit to KPA). I just went with a route and pretty much stuck to it. However it does make the day more enjoyable if you are with friends or team mates so that one can have a bit of company/laugh and joke. The only support person I had was my sister at Walthamstow.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
palkanetoijala31

tubeguru wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:crap driver of day watford driver wins hands down useless
are u allowed to crawl along at very slow speed on a amber light?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:
You are SUPPOSED to crawl along slowly at a YELLOW light (we don't use the word "amber"), because the next one is red! So yeah, he was doing his job properly and trying not to kill you in the process.

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

tubeguru wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:
You are SUPPOSED to crawl along slowly at a YELLOW light (we don't use the word "amber"), because the next one is red! So yeah, he was doing his job properly and trying not to kill you in the process.
Yes, looks like he was doing his job!! How dare he apply the rules and make sure the passengers are kept safe!! Useless...!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

tubeguru wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:
ok so u can crawl all the way on a yellow light to where the red signal is then stop! my point is our driver stopped at the yellow signal over a mile away from where he could have stopped and that cost us a connection!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

You don't know the reasons behind WHY he was stopped, if the signaller had asked him to crawl along to check the line then you wouldn't want him going quickly over it anyway else you could have come off the rails and that would have impacted on your day far more than one missed connection.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Sam wrote:You don't know the reasons behind WHY he was stopped, if the signaller had asked him to crawl along to check the line then you wouldn't want him going quickly over it anyway else you could have come off the rails and that would have impacted on your day far more than one missed connection.
Anyone would have thought that drivers are obliged to drive as fast as possible so that numpties running around the tube can get fast connections ...

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Sam wrote:You don't know the reasons behind WHY he was stopped, if the signaller had asked him to crawl along to check the line then you wouldn't want him going quickly over it anyway else you could have come off the rails and that would have impacted on your day far more than one missed connection.
he didnt crawl he stopped at the yellow light which was over a mile away from the red signal did i not make that clear im not arguing with u You are train drivers and far more qualified to speak about it than i am.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

You were saying he was useless. Neil and I have both proved that he could well have saved your life.

Ah yes, on second thoughts, Useless :)

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

He could have been asked by the controller to stop at the signal, whichever aspect it was showing to call in, as he may have been examining the line. He may have been reporting a fault that was developing. The train could have had a fault. There are any number of reasons he could have stopped there, but I bet one reason that it WASN'T is that he felt like stopping because he was useless.

Member of sweet FA