A new record? A new time to beat? Changes, changes...

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

A new record? A new time to beat? Changes, changes...

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Right, ok, can I be so bold (not the washing powder, that's just lunacy) to propose that we use this thread as a central point for listing all the upcoming changes to the tube network, and when they're happening?

Good, now let's begin.

My knowledge is a bit sketchy, and there are various bits of info scattered in lots of different threads, so it'd be good to compile it all together, so here goes:

Shoreditch - due to be closed - when?

All of the East London Line (except the interchange stations) to no longer be run by LUL - when?

ELL extension? I guess this won't affect the tube network if the ELL is to no longer be managed by LUL, but am I right in thinking that there are no actual new stations, just a new bit of junction/bend near Dalston?

A mate of mine said that there's a possibility the tube might be coming to Woolwich. And no, he's not confusing it with the DLR - mentioned that as well. If the tube does come to Woolwich, will it be an extension of the ELL, or possibly a branch off the Jubilee line? I'm guessing this is far away in the future anyway?

Queensway - opens May 2006 IIRC.

Heathrow Terminal 4 - when exactly in 2007 is that due to open? Will there be a separate T5 station? Or will it be a combined station for terminals 4 and 5?

Anything else I've missed out? Like a proposed foot tunnel from Regents Park to Great Portland Street?

Basically, when the vast majority of the changes have come in, a mass tube challenge would be a good idea, methinks.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Heathrow T4 is due to reopen September 2006(ish), with T5 (complete with new Piccadilly Line and Heathrow Express stations) opening in two phases. Phase 1 in 2008, phase 2 in 2011.

The Waterloo and City is due to be closed from 2006-04-01 to 2006-09-01 inclusive.

The Piccadilly might be closed between Acton Town and Northfields between 07:00 on 2006-02-24 and 20:00 on 2006-03-17, and from 07:00 on 2006-03-18 to 20:00 on 2006-04-01. I say might, because it's not clear from the summary what they mean.

Richmond to Turnham Green on the District will be closed from 2006-04-01 to 2006-04-09.

Those seem to be the main ones anyway.

HTH,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

ELL extension? I guess this won't affect the tube network if the ELL is to no longer be managed by LUL, but am I right in thinking that there are no actual new stations, just a new bit of junction/bend near Dalston?
there will be five new stations on the east london line when it is extended: dalston junction, haggerston, hoxton and shoreditch high road (to be opened during phase one), and surrey canal road (to be opened during phase 2). the former 4 are the link between canonbury and whitechapel (before continuing to highbury), and the latter is the link between surrey quays and south bermondsey (before continuing to clapham junction). the new cross gate branch will be extended down the existing southern mainline to west croydon, and along half of the "streatenham" loop as far as crystal palace.

this really doesn't help tube challenging much, although there may tactics involved in using it between whitechapel and highbury, or to clapham high street? no idea...
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I understand that Lancaster Gate is due to close sometime this summer, although im not sure when?
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Lancaster Gate being out of action could have an effect on the Alphabet Challenge certainly.

(we used it for the alphabet+drinking v2)
- Andrew
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

jonny wrote:I understand that Lancaster Gate is due to close sometime this summer, although im not sure when?
Just found it on the "Station Closures" list. Lancaster Gate is due to be closed from 2006-07-02 to 2006-10-29.

In addition, Regents Park is due to be closed from 2006-06-05 to 2007-06-04 and Brixton from 2006-04-08 to 2006-04-17.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Does Anyone know the exact reopening date for queensway?
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I believe that Northfields to Acton Town will be closed during the day. It can't be closed completely because depot access it needed between 8pm and 7am the following day.

There are sufficient bus services to cover the local travelers between Acton Town and Northfields - Heathrow travelers to be diverted via Paddington and HEX.
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

barrykas wrote:In addition, Regents Park is due to be closed from 2006-06-05 to 2007-06-04
Is anyone else thinking that their route will be completely useless for a year, or is it just me?
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Blimey, that's just kicked in - Regent's Park closed for a whole year!

And only a few weeks back I worked out the carriage position to a quick escape there, for legging-it-to-Great-Portland-Street purposes.
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

TheFatBuoy wrote:Blimey, that's just kicked in - Regent's Park closed for a whole year!

And only a few weeks back I worked out the carriage position to a quick escape there, for legging-it-to-Great-Portland-Street purposes.
If worst comes to worst, Baker Street isn't TOO far from GPS....
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

neither is oxford circus. still though, that's one of my college's local stations, and luckily i'll have juuuust left by then :D
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

James_#510 wrote:
TheFatBuoy wrote:Blimey, that's just kicked in - Regent's Park closed for a whole year!

If worst comes to worst, Baker Street isn't TOO far from GPS....
But if the rules state that you have to pass through Regent's Park by tube, then you won't be able to skip it by running from Great Portland Street to Baker St.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

why would anyone want to run from GPS to baker street anyhoo?
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

They've got an irrational fear of Warren Street?