POLL: Revealing routes on the forum

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here

What is your view regarding the publishing of routes?

Let people post them
59%
Let people post them, but ask Tubeguru to have a word
7%
Ban people posting routes altogether
19%
Get a life, you sad admin
15%

Total votes: 27

tubeguru
Site Administrator

POLL: Revealing routes on the forum

Post by tubeguru »

It's been a hot potato for years around here, but as it's come up again in Geoff's 16/05/12 (or whatever the date was), I thought it was time to maybe take some action on this. With that in mind, I have created a poll, and the question is this:

What is your view regarding the publishing of routes?

Would you prefer for people's routes to NOT be visible on the forum? In other words, if someone posts their full route for a full network challenge, would you rather it was removed? Or should we be encouraging people to share their routes so we can all benefit from them (newbies included)?

And further, would anyone mind if I simply deleted any post containing a full route without further ado? Obviously, the person who posted it might object, but this is all part of the debate.

Is this even an issue? Off you go.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Re: POLL: Revealing routes on the forum

Post by hopeful traveller »

Let's remember they don't have to post them if they don't want to, and if they do and someone does benefit from it, it's their loss.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That is a valid point. But people insist on doing it, so one has to ask why they do it.

Why do YOU post your route online? And by "YOU" I mean everyone who posts a route, not just you!

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tubeguru wrote:That is a valid point. But people insist on doing it, so one has to ask why they do it.

Why do YOU post your route online? And by "YOU" I mean everyone who posts a route, not just you!
i have posted my old record routes on line because the information in them isnt relevant to the timetable anymore and any secrets or info can easily be gained with a little window shopping in other threads.!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yeah, but if a secret trick is to say, run from Amersham to Heathrow, and that trick gains you seven hours then surely it will remain a good trick despite a "new timetable". Some of the stuff people do remains pertinent despite all the changes they make.

Obviously the above is an extreme example, and I suggest that people do not attempt to run from Amersham to Heathrow.

Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

If someone wants to share their route, they should. If they don't, they shouldn't. Why complicate the matter any more than that?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Personally I don't like newcomers being 'spoon-fed' and would discourage the revealing of full routes, but my libertarian instincts are completely opposed to banning of the provision of information. As soon as you ban something, it usually gains extra value and as a result becomes more widely known.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, who voted for the last option, apart from me?

Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I posted this in Geoff's thread before I knew the existence of this one:

"I understand people wanting to keep their routes secret. Absolutely no problem with that. I do not think it is acceptable to ask someone for their route.

I positively do not want to keep my route secret. I would much rather talk openly about everything I have and will do. I do not mind people pinching all or part of my route, although I would enjoy seeing someone else craft their own route. I made my route myself, gladly accepting any advice people have volunteered to give me. If people have seen my route and would rather not have, I do apologise, perhaps all threads I post in containing a route should be marked as "spoilers"?"
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I enjoy reading other people's routes, not because I want to be spoon-fed, but because it gives another point of view and it sometimes can make you think about your route in another way, and use a similar move between completely different stations. To take your example, TG, seeing your suggestion might make me say "Well, I don't want to run Amersham-Heathrow, but maybe it would be possible to do Upminster - Epping?" Each person's route suits their characteristics and 'clever' moves aren't always transferrable. I've occasionally looked at routes and thought: "Yes, that's a good idea, but I still prefer my way." Ultimately, much of the fun of Tube Challenging is trying to come up with the perfect route. Nicking someone else's would spoil it.

People should be free to post, or not post, their routes as they wish. If you don't want to know other people's routes, you don't have to read them!
Metrolink 91 stations 6:27:01
FNC: 18:48:00
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I don't like seeing routes being posted, in my opinion half the fun in Tube Challenge is going out and doing your own research into what works and what doesn't. I agree with Nigel about newcomers being 'spoon-fed' and would also discourage people from posting their routes, however we do live in a democracy and people are free to say what they want. On the flip side if you look at Tube Challenge as a sport do opposing teams in sport share all their secrets with each other, especially when you have invested time & money in gaining useful information?
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Soup Dragon wrote:I don't like seeing routes being posted, in my opinion half the fun in Tube Challenge is going out and doing your own research into what works and what doesn't. I agree with Nigel about newcomers being 'spoon-fed' and would also discourage people from posting their routes, however we do live in a democracy and people are free to say what they want. On the flip side if you look at Tube Challenge as a sport do opposing teams in sport share all their secrets with each other, especially when you have invested time & money in gaining useful information?
Too true that is why i dont reveal any my plans to go out at all nowadays a certain mr x taught me that.
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

I see no problem. Obviously Geoff, Andi and others going for the GWR or very good times will not post their routes. However those looking to get their first completion or maybe better their time by 30 minutes or so might want to post up their route to get some advice/ tips from those willing to help.
The King is back! Long live The King!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I don't have a problem with routes being posted, then again if someone doesn't want to post a route I wouldn't feel that they should. As far as spoon feeding, there's routes out there (such as Geoff's early ones, Andi's CiN one), so if someone doesn't want to do the research they can just take it wholesale and use it. Personally I'd feel they'd missed out on part of the fun and satisfaction of coming up with their own route, but that's their choice.

As a linked issue, how do people on the forum want to respond to newbies? I like the idea of them posting the route and getting feedback - if you keep the feedback none too specific (e.g. look at the geographical position of stations rather than just using the tube map rather than saying "X is a few hundred yards from Y and the same for A and B"). Some of these are still available on the interweb anyway from Geoff's Tube Relief web page I think. In other words a nudge in the right direction rather than a cut and dried answer, hopefully leaving the person with the satisfaction of of making the remaining steps.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

While personally I wouldn't want to post a route, I am still happy to encourage newbies by sharing other relevant information, e.g. location of toilets, opportunities for refreshments, and other general bits of advice. Let's be welcoming and encouraging to those starting this for the first time, without having to give away really prized information.