Route advice

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Route advice

Post by Urzzz1871 »

OK, bit of background before the blatant begging..........

Am planning a charity attempt later in the year, and hope to get a few teams from work together to raise money for our charity of the year.

Having spent months scouring the forum for ideas, and anything else I can find I think I have a "fairly" decent (and more importantly realistic) route. Andi's "walking route" was a great inspiration!

Anyway, it comes in at 18hrs 20mins, and TBH I just want to do the best to get a completion.

Is it too cheeky to ask if anyone, who no doubt knows infinitely more than I do about these things, would be prepared to give it the once-over and provide some constructive criticism (I am bound to have put in an impossible connection somewhere), which might help me shave a bit more time off?

Would love it to be under 18hrs on paper to give us the best chance of actually getting round even if things start to go a bit awry on the day.

Any offers of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
2 attempts
2 completions
(Not getting much quicker)
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Re: Route advice

Post by hopeful traveller »

When are you planning to do this?
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

It will be in September (after Paralympics). Provisional date is Thursday 27th.
2 attempts
2 completions
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Urzzz1871 wrote:It will be in September (after Paralympics). Provisional date is Thursday 27th.
i happily look over it and if u like even join u for attempt
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

If you post it up here, in - this - sort - of - format, i'm sure everyone that has an inclination to would be happy to give it the once over.

bear in mind though that no one who thinks that have a trick that no one else has will tell you what it is! and also that someone might say "get the U1 bus all the way to Uxbridge", but someone else would not recommend that ... swings & roundabouts, and all part of the fun -> discovering yourself what works!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I don't mind having a look!
palkanetoijala31

Starkey7 wrote:I don't mind having a look!
To be honest there is nothing actually special about it and its quite a good route although i did mention his 1 min uxbridge turnaround was absolute not going to happen unless has gods on his side lots of spare time in his route done pretty good run estimations to his pace as well.A few tweeks here and there might be beneficial to him as i said have a little play around with it the fundamentals are sound too much db of one section for my liking but hey ho.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I imagine the timetable will have changed by September, so the route would need retiming anyway.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

I must say it is almost the 'perfect' lazy boy route. So would be extremly good for getting a group of people round as there are no tight runs that some in the group will make and some not.

You can stay in a lovely Travellodge in Romford. Samle some of the local beer (and women) the evening before and get a £10 taxi to the station at 4:30 am
The King is back! Long live The King!
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

Well, thankfully, it looks like the route is fairly sound from the comments I have received, though Andi has pointed out some sections that could do with improvement.

Thanks for the feedback so far, any more would be equally appreciated.

There are no tight runs on the route as they have all been calculated at an acheivable 6mins per km pace. On the day if fitness allows we may be able to get a train ahead in some places.

To clarify, plan is not to go round in a big group, my team has 3 people in, others will be devising their own routes. I'm sure some that are taking part may not be able to manage the 20km of running required if the busses aren't playing ball on the day!
2 attempts
2 completions
Sarahfundraiser
Zone 1

Post by Sarahfundraiser »

Hi there,

I am also doing the Tube Challenge for Charity (I am fundraising for a rural community project in Uganda). I'm only doing the challenge in zones 1-5, but I really underestimated how difficult planning a route would be...
I know it's also ever so cheeky of me to ask but could any of you offer some advice/model routes (I promise it's for a good cause). I think I'm a bit in over my head :S

Many thanks
Sarah
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Whats your currant fitness levels as this will greatly affect the route you'll want to do.

I have a 'lazy' full network route which I think Andi doesn't mind sharing, but i'll have to ask him although he is currently aboard at this moment in time and I'll have to ask him. It starts in Upminster and finishes in either Amersham or Chesham.
The King is back! Long live The King!
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Sarahfundraiser wrote:Hi there,

I am also doing the Tube Challenge for Charity (I am fundraising for a rural community project in Uganda). I'm only doing the challenge in zones 1-5, but I really underestimated how difficult planning a route would be...
I know it's also ever so cheeky of me to ask but could any of you offer some advice/model routes (I promise it's for a good cause). I think I'm a bit in over my head :S

Many thanks
Sarah
Hello Sarah

Here are some resources that you might find useful:

Some general advice:
- Beware of Kensington (Olympia)
Trains from Kensington (Olympia): 0550, 0606, 0615, 0624, 0632, 1958, 2038
From High Street Kensington: 1941, 2021
Unless its an exhibition day

-Mill Hill East and Hainault Loop stations
Mill Hill East trains run every 15mins and Woodford via Hainault every 20mins. Therefore you can lose a lot of time here

- Know where your door positions for exits are and also which stations have toilets! Iphone apps can give door positions or old fashioned recon works!
- If your only doing Zone 1-5 I think starting at Hatton Cross or Dagenham East would get you a good Ken O train
- Though Myles has shown that provided the trains behave themselves ANYONE can complete the whole system regardless of physical condition!

Advice on how to do the challenge is available on the tube-relief website
http://www.tuberelief.co.uk/

As for routes that are "public domain"
Andi's (palkanetoijala31) first world record route is on this site:
http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... c&start=60
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

If you have a route already then post it up and I'm happy to give feedback.

Do you have a day of the week/date/time limits? The Kensington Olympia trains run more often at weekends.

Any preferred start/finish?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
palkanetoijala31

Myles the route was posted on the forum anyway so u dont need to ask my permission and its not my ex on here even though she does lots of fundraising.