Attempts/Completion Statistics

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Nigel
Zone 5

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote:
Maybe what I'm trying to get at here is at what point do people (if at all) chuck it in?

What really has inspired me to be intruiged by this, is that i guess i've always been quite fortunate in only ever giving up once (around 5pm) and all the others I've always carried on. Have i had better luck? Do others give up too easy? Or is there only a 66% (say) chance of getting round the entire network. If we could compare that figure from 5 years ago to now, it would be interesting to see as it might be an indicator as to if the network is getting more reliable, or not.
I think a factor nowadays may be the start and finish points. It is no great secret that for some people the favoured starting train doesn't leave until 0650, and if you're finishing at Heathrow then T4 shuts at 2400, so that potentially cuts up to 2.5 hours from the time available for completion if other start and finish points had been used.

For me one factor is accommodation - as I live to the east of London, if I finish late it's not very easy to get back (for some reason I don't fancy travelling through the night on night busues as I know some do). Also I drive to the start, so I've still got to pick up my car. So I usually pre-book a cheap hotel in Hounslow for a Heathrow finish. Back in April you could cancel up to 6pm on the day of arrival at no cost - this has subsequently been tightened up to 2pm. So if it all goes disastrously wrong early on I've got a bit of a financial incentive to quit. Otherwise now, I think I will press on if I can. As a relative newbie, the thrill is just completing in a relatively quick time. Perversely, I'm not too fussed about getting official recognition as a record holder (and anyway on my recent attempts I don't think I would have satisfied GWR with my record keeping).
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Bit of a bump- I know, but does anyone know the statistic for the most failed attempts before achieving a completion? Or the most failed attempts never having completed?

I'm currently sitting on a 0/2 for completions, but neither attempts were abandoned. Attempt one I ran out of trains at Harrow on the Hill, Attempt 2 I knew a completion was impossible on hearing the Central Line was suspended, and therefore Leyton station was unreachable. Failure was confirmed some time after 5PM, but any hope of a decent time was lost 3 hours earlier.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

My Record so far:

Tube 1 CiN: Everything but Westminster and St James's Park
Tube 2: Completion just under 19 hours
Tube 3: Gave up at Wimbledon due to multiple delays
Tube 4: "The one that wouldn't die" everything but the Heathrow branch
Tube 5: Completion. Mine and Iain's current fastest time

So that's a 40% completion rate
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

My completion rate (prior to 2006) was at around 35%. Since 2008 onwards, it's dropped to 20%.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

moley wrote:I've made one attempt, on Tube Relief, and completed.
That makes a 100% completion rate.
(and my partner-in-crime that day didnt have a clue about the tube).
Exactly the same for me. 1 attempt, 1 completion, 100%

(And my accomplice didn't have a clue about the Tube either.)
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

2 atempts, 1 completion.
The King is back! Long live The King!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

If you give up once you go much outside your best time, the failure rate will go up as you're more likely to quit. A time that was once acceptable becomes unacceptable. For instance, Glen and I chose to quit once we were going to be over 18 hours, even though our then best was just inside 19 hours. Now we've done 17:37 we'll probably quit if we're much outside 17:30
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)