Attempts/Completion Statistics

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
geofftech
All Zones
Posts: 1103
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 20:35
Contact:

Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by geofftech » 07 Sep 2011, 20:30

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 15 Oct 2013, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel
Zone 5
Posts: 626
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:04
Location: Woodford

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by Nigel » 07 Sep 2011, 21:38

By your definition, I'm on three attempts and two completions - but since these have all been reported on this forum within the last six months I guess you know that. Hope to try at least a couple more times this year, but my body is still trying to tell me otherwise after last week.

palkanetoijala31

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by palkanetoijala31 » 07 Sep 2011, 21:39

Looking back over my attempts log and massive book that i have i did the following

tube 2,5,6,7,8,9,10,13,14,15,16,17,22,24,33 all completed so that 15/33

tube 1 quit around 5pm
tube 3 quit around 4pm
tube 4 quit around 9pm
tube 11 quit about 11am stuck not knowing where i was after running sloane square to knightsbridge wrong way
tube 12 quit aldgate east 5pm district line out
tube 18 quit around 7pm
tube 19 quit around 9pm
tube 20 quit around mid evening i think
tube 21 quit around mid evening again i think
tube 23 quit at mill hill east at around 8pm
tube 25 quit extremely early
tube 26 quit around 7pm
tube 27 quit extremely early 3 times problems at chalfont and chesham 3 times
tube 28 quit horrendlessly bad problems top left hand corner again
tube 29 quit 4pm illness to sara
tube 30 stuck to original plan and halted at 2pm so down due to heart attack of neil then left out 2 hours got back to plan and stuck to end estimated time on network 14h plus
tube 31 stuck to end 265/270 only
tube 32 quit around 5pm

So Basically unless i,d completed because i had too because i was in groups most of the times i did until early evening way out of shot of record mostly due to problems and thought blow this im going to the pub!

User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8846
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by tubeguru » 07 Sep 2011, 21:44

I have made three attempts at completing all the tube stations in a single day.

On my first attempt (and Geoff's seventh), I got a completion and the record.
On my second attempt (also with Geoff) I had to pull out due to illness, so no completion.
My third attempt was Tube Relief, which I completed.

So if we include TR, that makes a 66.66% completion rate.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2018
Member of sweet FA

User avatar
greatkingrat
All Zones
Posts: 2453
Joined: 11 Feb 2005, 00:35

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by greatkingrat » 07 Sep 2011, 22:15

geofftech wrote:Hello, my name is Geoff and I will start this off. I've made 14 attempts, and only withdrawn on one of them. 13/14 = 92.8%

Therefore, i've "completed" just under 93% of the time.

Now, this is not to be able to say "I'm better than so and so because i've completed more than you, etc...", but simply to see what is the %age chance of getting round. How often does the tube stuff up statistically speaking to make it impossible to complete.
Well for me it is 0/1.

However I think there is a distinction to be made between people being unable to complete the network, and people choosing not to complete the network. Particularly now the record is so quick, I suspect most attempts are abandoned because the record is out of reach rather than it being physically impossible to finish.

For example, maybe Matt & Sam today could have finished the network in 18/19 hours had they so desired, but there would have been no point.

I think if you are purely interested in completing all stations, and you start on the first train, you would have a 95%+ chance of completing. The system is open for about 20 hrs, so if you have a 17 hr route on paper, that gives you a whole 3 hours of leeway which would be enough to cover all but the most serious of delays.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver

User avatar
Sam
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 4255
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 13:14
Location: Gloucester
Contact:

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by Sam » 08 Sep 2011, 07:41

That is very true. Matt and I *could* have completed but we were already 30 mins off record time and then spent 20 minutes at Harrow and Wealdstone so that's 50 minutes down on time. With both of us having completed before we didn't see the point of carrying on.

For much of the day we were only  20 minutes off record pace which if we'd kept that up would have saw us round in 16hrs 49mins which we would have completed to get a very good PB for both of us. 
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver

User avatar
al
Zone 5
Posts: 589
Joined: 20 May 2007, 09:34
Location: Staffs

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by al » 08 Sep 2011, 08:10

My completion rate will be shocking for that very reason :(
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.

User avatar
moley
Site Administrator
Posts: 1908
Joined: 07 May 2005, 13:38
Location: Portsmouth
Contact:

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by moley » 08 Sep 2011, 09:22

I've made one attempt, on Tube Relief, and completed.

That makes a 100% completion rate.

(and my partner-in-crime that day didnt have a clue about the tube).
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.

User avatar
RichieG
Zone 6
Posts: 896
Joined: 24 Sep 2008, 21:48
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by RichieG » 08 Sep 2011, 14:45

I have had two attempts.

Given the details in the OP, on only one did I withdraw early, on my second one at around 200 stations. My first attempt, the charity one that coincided with the Winter Tube Olympics last year, wasn't a completion but I was attempting to get as many stations as possible. However, I had to miss a few sections of the network out in order that I could get to Heathrow in order to get my bus back, and - although I did stop 'challenging' at Hammersmith - the timer stayed timing until I hit the platform at Heathrow 123 (238 stations, 17h 38m). So, two attempts, 100% failure (all stations) rate, 50% abandonment rate. My actual 270 time stands at around three years or something. Which probably isn't a record.
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.

palkanetoijala31

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by palkanetoijala31 » 08 Sep 2011, 16:37

RichieG wrote:I have had two attempts.

Given the details in the OP, on only one did I withdraw early, on my second one at around 200 stations. My first attempt, the charity one that coincided with the Winter Tube Olympics last year, wasn't a completion but I was attempting to get as many stations as possible. However, I had to miss a few sections of the network out in order that I could get to Heathrow in order to get my bus back, and - although I did stop 'challenging' at Hammersmith - the timer stayed timing until I hit the platform at Heathrow 123 (238 stations, 17h 38m). So, two attempts, 100% failure (all stations) rate, 50% abandonment rate. My actual 270 time stands at around three years or something. Which probably isn't a record.
You have forgotten that on both of those attempt we barely had any good luck we started an hour before some people and they caught us up doing the same route its my fault richie i persuede u to go to the pub too often!.

krollo
Zone 4
Posts: 202
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 10:14

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by krollo » 08 Sep 2011, 17:08

0/0 so whatever percentage you like

User avatar
RichieG
Zone 6
Posts: 896
Joined: 24 Sep 2008, 21:48
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by RichieG » 08 Sep 2011, 22:43

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
RichieG wrote:I have had two attempts.

Given the details in the OP, on only one did I withdraw early, on my second one at around 200 stations. My first attempt, the charity one that coincided with the Winter Tube Olympics last year, wasn't a completion but I was attempting to get as many stations as possible. However, I had to miss a few sections of the network out in order that I could get to Heathrow in order to get my bus back, and - although I did stop 'challenging' at Hammersmith - the timer stayed timing until I hit the platform at Heathrow 123 (238 stations, 17h 38m). So, two attempts, 100% failure (all stations) rate, 50% abandonment rate. My actual 270 time stands at around three years or something. Which probably isn't a record.
You have forgotten that on both of those attempt we barely had any good luck we started an hour before some people and they caught us up doing the same route its my fault richie i persuede u to go to the pub too often!.
Well, to be fair, the second time I went out the aim was to complete, so when we knew that wasn't possible it made sense to give up and go to the pub instead.
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.

geofftech
All Zones
Posts: 1103
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 20:35
Contact:

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by geofftech » 09 Sep 2011, 15:32

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 15 Oct 2013, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sam
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 4255
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 13:14
Location: Gloucester
Contact:

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by Sam » 09 Sep 2011, 15:40

You're wrong, we COULD have got to the end. We got to Harrow and Wealdstone on the last Bakerloo up there. We then, decided that as we couldn't get back down very quickly we would abort. A LOROL train (which was still running with delays) came in after we had been there 20 minutes so we could have go that down to Queens Park to pick up a Bakerloo train which was still running from there. As the record had long gone we did not see the point in continuing, Matt was working yesterday and I had a meeting with my boss yesterday morning.

Matthew and I have done the "thrill" of completion and now have just one goal... the RECORD! If the record has gone then why waste our time and energy on getting yet another completion...
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver

User avatar
moley
Site Administrator
Posts: 1908
Joined: 07 May 2005, 13:38
Location: Portsmouth
Contact:

Re: Attempts/Completion Statistics

Post by moley » 09 Sep 2011, 16:05

geofftech wrote:.... I'm always amused (and thank god it had never happened to me) when people people abort at 6/7am in the morning, because the top left corner has f****d up....
Nothing like tempting fate - eh?
geofftech wrote:On Tube 12 (i think?) we stopped at Ealing Broadway ...
Tube 13. The Ironly of this was that our last train into Ealing Broadway was 113.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.

Post Reply