Re: Olympia Shuttle

Post by greatkingrat »

W&C trains in the peaks have a 1.25 minute turnaround time at Bank
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Yes but the Waterloo and City line is much stabler compared with the District line and shorter turnarounds are probably okay there.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Looking at the live departure boards, the Olympia service does indeed seem to be operating today, although the Journey Planner still knows nothing about it.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

greatkingrat wrote:Looking at the live departure boards, the Olympia service does indeed seem to be operating today, although the Journey Planner still knows nothing about it.
The same is true today - still not in Journey Planner. But at the moment (although not earlier on today) the service status information on TfL's website is flagging up a special service on the District Line (i.e. an Olympia service). I've not been on the tube yet today; it will be interesting to see if this is also shown on the electronic service status board on display at each station.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... l#district

Yep - it's being classified as "minor delays" for some reason.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Depends where you are going. They cancel a couple of Wimbledon trains in the evening peak to provide the stock for the Olympia train so there are minor delays for some people.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Had a nice chat today with Howard Collins, chief operating officer of LU but an even nicer chat with the person responsible for the Olympia changes.

More info at some point but now I'm off to bed.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Tease!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

OK. Olympia changes. We got talking about this as I suggested to a timetable planner that they could tweak the Met start timetable to help us tube challengers - he was well aware of what we do and continued to comment that his Olympia must have caused us more problems.....!

Rationale
- Carries 0.1% of District customers.
- Due to conflicting moves, restricts capacity through Earls Court by 10%.
- Timetable planning team gave LU board option of FULL withdrawal from Olympia however they rejected this option,
- District performance has increased remarkably since withdrawing Olympia services

Exhibition Service
- Good relationship between TfL and Olympia exhibition centre.
- Current 6,000 visitors to Olympia events is agreed trigger for TfL to run service however this will rise to 8,000 next year following review of use this year.
- TfL pay for the exhibition service when it is run.
- Could not run services during the Olympics as timetabling focused on maximum throughput across bottom of circle and up to West Ham.
- Services are planning 6 months+ in advance and should be in JourneyPlanner.

Normal Service
- AM services used to empty Lille Bridge - no other reason.
- PM services are for driver route retention - therefore during disruption may not run or may run late.
- No late evening services to Olympia (before depot) as staff are at Earls Court to help tip out. Otherwise driver would have to deal with drunk/aggressive passengers on his own at Ken O. Also passengers who are asleep and have missed their stop can resume journey quicker at Earls Court than at Ken O.

Future
- No intention to remove token services
- No intention to remove weekend services
- "Opportunity has now passed"
- Only change likely to be linked to a change in working at Lille Bridge.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

As for Howard Collins, the only notable comment here was that it was slightly cramped in the A-stock cab and that cabs should be made bigger - like the DLR! :wink: 8)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Thanks for the update Moley. That said, not particularly encouraging news as far as challenges go - no immediate prospect of full withdrawal, exhibition services will become less frequent and non-exhibition evening services may not run. Umm :(
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

What i like to know Moley is why are you not a politician if u can arrange a dinner with a head member of tfl and he agreed to see you and spend time in your company?

which answer the question is he a personal friend?
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Hmmm - about the worst possible combination - thanks for the update though
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:What i like to know Moley is why are you not a politician
We've got Hopeless Traveller for that ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:What i like to know Moley is why are you not a politician if u can arrange a dinner with a head member of tfl and he agreed to see you and spend time in your company?

which answer the question is he a personal friend?
I was out at the A-stock farewell tour yesterday along with the rest of the "Geoffs team". Our carriage steward was the timetable planner and a very nice chap indeed.

Howard Collins was stood round talking to anyone who wanted to chat during the lunchbreak at Amersham and was extremely knowledgeable about how the network was run - either that or very well briefed.