Olympia Shuttle

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Olympia Shuttle

Post by Sam »

It's midly concerning that the Olympia shuttle has been suspended a lot the past two days due to "lack of available trains".

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this as could hinder full network attempts if this was to continue... :?
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Re: Olympia Shuttle

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Sam wrote:It's midly concerning that the Olympia shuttle has been suspended a lot the past two days due to "lack of available trains".

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this as could hinder full network attempts if this was to continue... :?
I imagine its the strike that caused that Money grabbing gits.But there is a story of replacing Shoe Beam brackets on District line trains for safety checks.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

A couple of issues here:
1. The 14 day exams are running overdue, and even though there is concession to extend these to every 19 days, they are still over due. This is an effect of the strike & overtime ban imposed by the RMT.
2. It has been reported (see link below) that there is a minor defect that has been noted on some D Stock units. Additional work is underway to ensure that this is not affected the entire D-Stock fleet. Again this is noted helped by point 1.

The upshot of this is that the District Line controller is 16 units short during peak periods, 2 units short during off-peak periods. (Peak is off-peak units + 14 additional units).

Therefore Olympia is the obvious service to fall especially as you can:
1. Walk from Earls Court, West Kensington or High Street Kensington
2. Take a Southern / LO service from West Brompton.
3. Take a Bus from any number of District line stations.

http://londonist.com/2010/10/district_l ... y_faul.php
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:I imagine its the strike that caused that Money grabbing gits.But there is a story of replacing Shoe Beam brackets on District line trains for safety checks.
I'm sure you'd let your job be taken from under your nose without a fight....

Thanks for the information Moley, a mild concern.

Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

I would say that if it is shut off, you could still use London Overground services that go past the Olympia, I mean I'm doing this on the 19th of October going down from West Brompton up to Willesden Junction. I'd say that it's also more convenient as from West Brompton up to Willesden Junction it's only a 15 minute journey! :mrgreen:
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

However, does not help me on a GWR attempt as it needs visiting by LU.

Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

Suppose, although I thought that going by London Overground was an offical way that you could travel on an attempt...
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

No, most definitely not allowed for Olympia.

NR trains are permitted if they SHARE the tracks and LO and LU do not in any way, shape or form share the tracks at Kensington Olympia....

moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Sam wrote:No, most definitely not allowed for Olympia.

NR trains are permitted if they SHARE the tracks and LO and LU do not in any way, shape or form share the tracks at Kensington Olympia....
Agreed, that is also my definition of the rules. Which begs an interesting question - if the Station is closed ALL DAY, could it be ignored, or a LO pass through count?
Certain stations are normally only open at certain times of the day, and this must be taken into account in your planning.

Attempts can only be made during the week as certain stations are shut at weekends. Only if a station is temporarily closed (e.g. for rebuilding, or in an emergency) will a non-stop pass through a station be acceptable.
Kensington Olympia is a station closed due to an emergeny? Its not a planned closure. So surely, a passthrough should count, somehow?

If you invoke a Heathrow Terminal 4 type rule, then visiting it bus by would count.

Naturally, there will never be a decision made on this - it is purely speculation.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Also, just looking at the live TfL feed, Warren Street on the Victoria Line only is closed due to faulty escalators. Does a pass through count on the Victoria Line? or must it be visited by the using Northern Line?

I would suggest that the same rule as Latimer Road applies whereby if some platforms are closed, an open platform must be visited.

I know there are a couple of people who interpret this rule differently.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

But you can't pass through Olympia on what would be LU track so I think any attempt would be deemed failed.

As for the other points, isn't the rule, if you can visit the part that is open then you have to... that's the way I see it anyway...

moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Just heard that due to a signalling fault in the Finchely Central area, the Mill Hill East shuttle has also been suspended until close of service.

So, just 1/3 shuttles currently in service then!
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Sam wrote:But you can't pass through Olympia on what would be LU track so I think any attempt would be deemed failed.
I invoke [or would if I could] the Heathrow Terminal 4 rule:
A rail replacement bus service operates between Earl's Court (bus stop C on Warwick Road) and Olympia (bus stop D on Kensington High Street) every 10 minutes.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

At the time I posted, I did not realise there was a replacement bus service (not that I can see the need for one mind...)

I'm not sure whether the bus should be permitted or not, as this is not a planned closure as such which obviously Heathrow T4 was so we had GWR guidance to work with. Now common sense would say that the bus would be permitted but i'm not sure Guinness work in common sense terms.

Anyway, I'm not gonna worry too much and just hope it opens before I plan to go out again!?!

al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Is this where I should be saying something along the lines of "Rail Replacement buses rule"? :wink:
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.