Olympia Shuttle

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Re: Olympia Shuttle

Post by Urzzz1871 »

There does not appear to be a new timetable available on the journey planner for the District Line after Sunday 9th September.

All other lines go up to the end of December.

Conspiracy theories???? :lol:
2 attempts
2 completions
(Not getting much quicker)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Out theory was that post-Olympics there may be some major upgrade work happening on the District, tied into the S7's starting to be rolled out. Mind you, the H&C is due to get them first by the end of the year - not the District!

We also found the 'no more Olympia' trains scheduled, but also suspect/(hope!?) that there may be some late one's added in. Seems that TfL/LU like to decide as late as possible, making it harder for us - it's a conspiracy i tell you!

Also makes me think that really, the way to go is just going to have to be a route that involves one of the two non-exhibition evening services to do Olympia.

Although ... [sidenote], i was out on the tube the other week, and due to a fault/track restriction at West Brompton, only D stock trains were going down to Wimbledon. All the Edgware Road services were going in and out and reversing at Olympia! So apart from the fact that it was fun to see a C-Stock in the Olympia platform, there were Olympia trains about every 10 minutes. No way to plan/predict that one, but imagine if you'd of been on a challenge that day?! Would have been a doddle to turn up at Earls' Court and get the net wimbleware train coming in that went to Olympia ...
Last edited by geofftech on 28 May 2012, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

TLF works page does suggest there are closures every weekend after Paralympics finish (9th Sept) for a couple of months, but we assumed it would be OK during the week.

At least we hope so, as our charity attempt is scheduled for 27th Sept! :?

We have just gone for an early Olympia trains so we don't have to worry about the exhibition days.

Of course we are just after a completion rather than a fast time.
2 attempts
2 completions
Thunderball
Zone 1

Post by Thunderball »

Hi. Long time lurker...

Just curious if anyone asked Guiness if the event service counts as normal timetabled trains for the record.

Thanks.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Thunderball wrote:Hi. Long time lurker...

Just curious if anyone asked Guiness if the event service counts as normal timetabled trains for the record.

Thanks.
well of course it does they are scheduled so they count why do u think geoff only goes out when special service!
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

Thunderball wrote:Hi. Long time lurker...

Thanks.
Interesting question. I think it's pretty much universally agreed to be OK, this is "an underground train in normal public service".
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Why? No issue here. An exhibition day service is in journey planner (it's the ONLY way of knowing in advance at the moment when it is), is a scheduled public service, therefore a valid train to catch.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Phoned up tfl customer services to see if they had any information on future exbo services after the Olympics.

They said they have NO knowledge of any future exbo services what so ever from Ken O.

I wish tfl had a bit of clarity on the situation. :( I think we are stuck with a parliamentary train service people!

"♫ Waiting for the train the never comes ♫" :lol:
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

The Raven wrote:"♫ Waiting for the train the never comes ♫"
Choon!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

It's not the best authority, but the new tube map still reads 'And some Olympia events'
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

Of course, according to the journey planner there are no services at all on the district line after 9th September, let alone Olympia!
2 attempts
2 completions
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Urzzz1871 wrote:Of course, according to the journey planner there are no services at all on the district line after 9th September, let alone Olympia!
I do hope that means one of two things.

Either:
- No more Olympia trains
- More Olympia trains
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

The Raven wrote: I do hope that means one of two things.

Either:
- No more Olympia trains
- More Olympia trains
Or it could mean only Olympia trains at the weekend - the worst possible option. I still can't believe that if they are serious about preserving the special exhibition services they are not running any for the British Beer Festival on 7 - 10 August, probably the biggest event of the year.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

So what would it mean for record attempts if it did only run at weekends? Since they don't allow record attempts at weekends, wouldn't it just mean no Olympia?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Iain wrote:So what would it mean for record attempts if it did only run at weekends? Since they don't allow record attempts at weekends, wouldn't it just mean no Olympia?
If that was the case then I think options are:

- Saturdays are allowed, still not brilliant as a Saturday where the whole network is open is a very rare occurrence
- Arrive or Depart form Kensington Olympia on the London Overground (My preferred choice)
- Treat Kensington Olympia as a "Closed" station and not visit it

If TfL do stop the early morning and evening services and no event services are scheduled, then Guinness need to be contacted for clarification.
Last edited by The Raven on 27 Jun 2012, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six