Olympia Shuttle

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
geofftech
All Zones

Re: Olympia Shuttle

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 15 Oct 2013, 12:28, edited 3 times in total.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Just my opinion we should wait for Ken Olympia service to change. It has already been pointed out that it still shows on journey planner for after the 11th Dec. If Guinness were to check as we have this will just muddy the water. Guinness will then come up with some ruling that no one wants. I say wait for it to happen first then ask for clarification.
Last edited by nozzacook on 01 Oct 2011, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I'm not sure why anything has to be done. The new Olympia service may be annoying and inconvenient but that's just life.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:Yes, I have spoken to someone at LU who have confirmed new timetables for the second Sunday in December. btw: new leaf-fall timetables also start this weekend by the way on the Met, which will make those early morning connections more tricky!

What I'm looking for is people's thoughts on what should be done - yes, a concensus if you like - as Guinness's repuation for making sensible decisions is not something i would rely on. (Wood Lane may be a 'intermediate' station, but it's one that opens up a really good connection opportunity, and is a big enough change to warrant a rest, until [say] a true intermediate station with no connection possibilities)

When I caught up with Marc Gawley last week, even he was telling me of the hassles he'd had with Guinness when getting his record verfified - apparantly, someone in the USA ratifies now - not someone based in London! And they shipped across some - but not all - of his evidence from here to there which really delayed the process. Just sounds a bit tardy to me - and doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm still appalled abuot the record time that was set on a Saturday that was rejected, and that wasn't even my attempt.

It all comes down to the fact (as always) that Guinness aren't as obviously passionate about this as those of us on the forum, and will most likely see it as a black and white matter, with nothing inbetween, and thus Ken O will be a can of worms. It's not as if it's going FROM a reduced service TO a full service, but the other way round - much more tricky.

And i've checked, and I cant' see anywhere in the thread above where i've asked for a reset or suggested that this is what i want to happen. Am just trying (as always) to have a sensible and friendly discussion on it, without it turning into a bitching match. Hey Neil! I may be agreeing with you there... :D
or are you just sucking up to the moderator :lol:
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

greatkingrat wrote:I'm not sure why anything has to be done. The new Olympia service may be annoying and inconvenient but that's just life.
^ + 1
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

RichieG wrote:
Being 'reset' doesn't mean that they change the time - it means that on one day, the record is 17:12.43 for 269 stations, the next day it's 270 stations and the first person to do the complete network (even if they take four weeks) is the record holder. I see Guinness' point here though, and my personal thought is that although they probably should have reset the record when Wood Lane opened, it is an intermediate station on a line, so can see why they didn't, and it doesn't really matter now as another 45 minutes has been cut from the record anyway.

I think the next reset are both in hypothetical situations... one should the Croxley link happen, the other should TfL stop underground services to Olympia (or there's another change that TfL have lined up for the Underground).
I think you'll find that Guinness set a target time when they reset the record, such that a new record will only be recognised if it's within that time.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trainS
Last edited by geofftech on 15 Oct 2013, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Interesting stuff - thanks!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

And thus .. S Stock makes it to Aldgate East!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N ... 6223653920
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

I've known about the Triangle Sidings/Lillie Bridge stuff for a while now (I live next door to Lillie Bridge). I'd also read that they may not bother actually taking the trains all the way into the platform at Olympia to do the reverse out of the depot, and just use the shunt?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The December timetable is now in the Journey Planner

0550 Kensington (Olympia) - Edgware Road
0606 Kensington (Olympia) - High Street Kensington
0615 Kensington (Olympia) - High Street Kensington
0624 Kensington (Olympia) - High Street Kensington
0632 Kensington (Olympia) - Edgware Road
1958 Kensington (Olympia) - High Street Kensington
2038 Kensington (Olympia) - High Street Kensington

1941 High Street Kensington - Kensington (Olympia) arr 1948
2021 High Street Kensington - Kensington (Olympia) arr 2028

A pretty frequent service if you happen to be in Olympia at 6 o'clock in the morning :D

I guess that potentially you could try and connect up one of the evening trains with a Heathrow finish.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Crumbs!! That's less then ideal!!! Olympia start anyone? :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

O_o Wow, that really sucks. Timetabling this in must surely add time to the record? This doesnt just make the record harder, this will make a simple 270/270 harder. Which I'm hoping to do at some point.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 15 Oct 2013, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Or wait for one of the exhibitions deemed important enough to warrant a weekday service, although it is not clear whether this will be two days a year, or 20 days a year.