CIRCLE LINE HIKE - 16TH SEPTEMBER 2005

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

CIRCLE LINE HIKE - 16TH SEPTEMBER 2005

Post by tubeguru »

OK folks, since no one has mentioned this on here yet, it falls me me to inform you. I've copied and pasted this from my blog to save having to type it again :-)

Well, after the exertions of Tube Relief, it’s time for another charity event, although this time for different reasons.

The event in question is the Circle Line Hike and the aim is to raise money for Maggie’s Centres, a charity helping people who have or have had cancer or are looking after someone with cancer.

For more about Maggie's Centres, see http://tinyurl.com/85jpy

The idea is to walk the 17 miles of the circle line route, overground during the night of the 16th of September. The walk starts at 10pm and by my calculations will be over in anything between 5 and 10 hours depending on the speed we walk at. However, during the walk there are small diversions for guided tours of Custom House and St. Pancras Chambers amongst other sights and we will hopefully get to City Hall in time to see the sun rise from one of its balconies.

My team currently includes (amongst others) Helene (from the Euston support team), Annie Mole and Ann (from our Tube Relief team). Both myself and Ann have had to deal with the effects of a member of our immediate family being diagnosed with cancer and I daresay a large proportion of the expected 1000 people taking part in this will have similar stories.

And in case you were wondering, no, Mr Marshall will not be attending (although it’s not too late for him to sign up).

And it’s not too late for you to register your own team too. All you need to do is go to the website and download an application form. The URL is http://www.maggiescentres.org/metrolifehike. Each participant is required to raise at least £250 in sponsorship by the end of the year in order to help Maggie’s reach their target of £300,000 in order to build a new centre at the Charing Cross hospital in Hammersmith. One of the easiest way to do this is to build a JustGiving page.

JustGiving's website is at http://www.justgiving.com

Please sponsor me by going to my Just Giving page located at http://www.justgiving.com/lazza. All donations will be gratefully received.

Thankyou.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I *could* attend, i just don't know if i'm working that day/night or not yet - and won't know until i get back off holiday and at work next week - i'll let you know then.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Just put a bit into the pot, as cancer took my mum when I was a mere 8-year-old fat boy, so this means a lot to me. Funnily enough, Charing Cross was where she had a lot of treatment.

I'll probably be too lazy to organise my own team for this, but I might surprise myself....

Also, and this might sound pedantic, but I've just worked out a route on my London A-Z map software (literally plotting a route, click by click), and it works out at 14.7 miles, that's starting at Paddington ('cos I felt like it), but logic would say that the starting point shouldn't change the overall distance. Unless one feels the urge to leg it up to Cockfosters and back for some reason.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Thanks.

Member of sweet FA
yayrabies

Post by yayrabies »

My parents would say no because of school. But watch when I'm 16:)
The JLE
Zone 1

Post by The JLE »

Whats the policy on this forum if it comes up to "topic kicking" ????
Building Amsterdams first TUBE???.... HELP my city is sinking...

I am the voice you hear on the stations controled by Amsterdam's signalling centre... Working at the signalling centre is wonderfull....
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

What do you mean by that?

Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I think it is also known as "bumping" a thread.

If you look at the dates of posts, yayrabies posted 12/03/2006, whereas the previous post was 07/09/2005. In this space of time almost any thread would lose it's relevance, but especially this one, as it was referring to a specific event that occurred/was going to occur on 16/09/2005. So there was no point in yayrabies posting again.

Furthermore, am I the only person who sees a similarity between yayrabies and ********? The former even suggested the latter return for "just one day" in another thread.

I'm suspicious, but if I turn out to be way off the mark, then you have my apologies, yayrabies.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Ah yes.

It does seem a bit pointless posting to this thread now so I'm locking it :-)

I don't think yayrabies is ********. He was the fourth person to register on this forum back in early 2005.

However, american_idiot (recently registered) has "yayrabies" as part of his email address and so if that is him with two accounts he is in breach of the rules and one of them will be deleted.

Member of sweet FA