hopefully big inroads made into Bob robinson attempt record

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
supercommuter
Zone 1

Re: hopefully big inroads made into Bob robinson attempt rec

Post by supercommuter »

Hi, only me.
I held the record for 8 years in one go, I think it was somthing like 12 years overall. Never really added it up.
However, records are there to be broken, good luck to everyone.
Best wishes

Bob Robinson
Tube Challenger 1980-2002
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

supercommuter wrote:Hi, only me.
I held the record for 8 years in one go, I think it was somthing like 12 years overall. Never really added it up.
However, records are there to be broken, good luck to everyone.
Best wishes

Bob Robinson
Tube Challenger 1980-2002
Can u explain the dates u broke all 8 records then as only 6 are well known about?
supercommuter
Zone 1

Post by supercommuter »

Hi, yes. The first was in 1980 and can be found in the stop press of the Guiness Book of Records.
the other was in 1988 when I equally it, would you beleive, so no record as such except my log book.
Hope that helps.
Best wishes to everyone
Bob Robinson
palkanetoijala31

As far as the history goes it states ur 1st record in 1980 one in 1981 2 in 1986 1 in 1994 and the last in 2000 so that makes 6 correct!.If you broke ur own record in 1988 but obviously no mention of that has been made which is 7 do you have the certificates at home because 8 is missing unless it was another unpublished one!.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Indeed. It would be very good to have exact dates for your records which you have Bob, as I find it quite interesting to see the different times of year that the record got broken. :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
supercommuter
Zone 1

Post by supercommuter »

Hi, I calculate that I had the record uninterupted for 2,555 days between 1987 and 2003.
Best wishes

Bob Robinson
supercommuter
Zone 1

Post by supercommuter »

In the days when I did the record run regularly there were several parameters I worked to. They were:

Only do a run on a Tuesday (Sat and Sun had closed stations, Monday and Friday were cancellation days (days off) and Wednesday used to be guard and driver change over days so disrupted the service).
Best times were done in March or October, no so crowed, no frost and all round better weather.
Best wishes

Bob Robinson
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Looks like you had it all worked out! How about Thursdays?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

So Bob, those exact dates I requested?
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
supercommuter
Zone 1

Post by supercommuter »

Hi, I hope everyone is well.
I always did much better on a Tuesday. In my era Saturdays and Sundays had stations closed, Mondays and Fridays had more cancellations due to absentee issues and Thursday was driver change over rosta day and Wednesday guard rosta changeover day. So that is why I did Tuesdays. Also March/April and September/October also avoided very poor weather. The trips I did which failed, 3 were in one year. A year when the London bombings by the IRA were at their peak, too many security allerts.
My first attempt date was 1980 (as I recall in July) and was beated by John Trafford a few days later. It appeared in the stop press of the Guiness Book of Records but not the main book until the following year when I held the record again.
All good fun.
Best wishes

Bob supercomuter
supercommuter
Zone 1

Post by supercommuter »

Hi all, some more info.
I had one other time in 1983 when I equalled by own record so it never got recorded, fine by me.
I see someone has noted that changing on route is difficult. I agree, you have to know the system very well including all the timings of trains on all lines.
I did one run, not a record run but completed the system, with a disabled person in a wheelchair with a team for the Mayors Challenge for Sandhurst Town Council in Berkshire where I was a councillor.
We got to South Harrow (late morning) and a tree wen down at Ickenham. We sat at South Harrow for 20 minutes and in that time I did re-route the whole thing and we then ran from South Harrow to Harrow on the Hill (pushing a wheelchair) and did the western section next and so on.
It can be done but I think if you have to re-route the record for that day is probably a lost cause.
Best wishes

Bob Supercomputer
palkanetoijala31

If u can hold on to the record for another 25 days steveo ur enter the 1000 club