Hello

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Hello

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Nappy Yew Hear to all of you.

And hi to those who remember me. In fact, hello to those who don't. I'm Peter.

Popped on here for the first time in ages, and bloody hell - 17 hours 12 minutes???? That's immense - well done to Steven and Andi (I think). One question though - are things finally settled now in terms of what now consists of an "all stations" challenge?

Is it basically no more ELL at all, and Terminal 5 now fully open, or are there any more developments I've missed? I'm guessing DLR still isn't part of it as it never was.

And here's the million euro question - roughly how long would the 17h12m (and a number of seconds I forget) record equate to if you were to take out T5 and add in the ELL again? Basically, comparing like for like, how would it compare to, say, Geoff and Neil's 18h35m?

Also, all stations by car - I'd be well up for trying this at some point in the future. Would be interesting to work out a "best order", and then doing TomTom vs PetePete (my own built-in navigational system in my head, which works in conjunction with a London A-Z) for that specific order. Or maybe just putting in all the locations into TomTom (or another, maybe better, sat-nav device) and letting it work out the optimum order, and having a head to head against that.

Also, ages back I mentioned a "laps of Soho challenge" - I quite fancy doing that at some point if anyone fancies a shot at it - it'd basically involve doing the Piccadilly Circus/Leicester Square/TCR/Oxford Circus loop by tube and also on foot (the route on foot's pretty obvious) - and have each team/individual involved do it both on foot and by tube, to see how they compare. I've done rough workings-out and it looks to be about 1.6 miles (depending on exactly where you measure the start and finish points around Piccadilly Circus, which is where I based it around starting/finishing), so based on my walking speed of 3mph that's around half an hour walking, so who knows how fast, flat out running? Stamina would be the key - I doubt very much I could run at any great speed for 1.6 miles, but let's say a reasonably fit person could halve that time and do it in around 15 minutes, there's got to be not much in it compared to tubing (or is that tubeing) it, once you take connections into account.

Anyway, I might possibly be up for this thing tomorrow - all depends how everything goes in terms of me getting stuff done that I want/need to get done, but I've got tomorrow off, so it could be a possibility.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
palkanetoijala31

Re: Hello

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

TheFatBuoy wrote:Nappy Yew Hear to all of you.

And hi to those who remember me. In fact, hello to those who don't. I'm Peter. Welcome back

Popped on here for the first time in ages, and bloody hell - 17 hours 12 minutes???? That's immense - well done to Steven and Andi (I think). One question though - are things finally settled now in terms of what now consists of an "all stations" challenge?It was 43 secs

Is it basically no more ELL at all, and Terminal 5 now fully open, or are there any more developments I've missed? I'm guessing DLR still isn't part of it as it never was.

And here's the million euro question - roughly how long would the 17h12m (and a number of seconds I forget) record equate to if you were to take out T5 and add in the ELL again? Basically, comparing like for like, how would it compare to, say, Geoff and Neil's 18h35m? (hakan estimated adding on ell would take around 1 hour)

Also, all stations by car - I'd be well up for trying this at some point in the future. Would be interesting to work out a "best order", and then doing TomTom vs PetePete (my own built-in navigational system in my head, which works in conjunction with a London A-Z) for that specific order. Or maybe just putting in all the locations into TomTom (or another, maybe better, sat-nav device) and letting it work out the optimum order, and having a head to head against that.

Also, ages back I mentioned a "laps of Soho challenge" - I quite fancy doing that at some point if anyone fancies a shot at it - it'd basically involve doing the Piccadilly Circus/Leicester Square/TCR/Oxford Circus loop by tube and also on foot (the route on foot's pretty obvious) - and have each team/individual involved do it both on foot and by tube, to see how they compare. I've done rough workings-out and it looks to be about 1.6 miles (depending on exactly where you measure the start and finish points around Piccadilly Circus, which is where I based it around starting/finishing), so based on my walking speed of 3mph that's around half an hour walking, so who knows how fast, flat out running? Stamina would be the key - I doubt very much I could run at any great speed for 1.6 miles, but let's say a reasonably fit person could halve that time and do it in around 15 minutes, there's got to be not much in it compared to tubing (or is that tubeing) it, once you take connections into account.

Anyway, I might possibly be up for this thing tomorrow - all depends how everything goes in terms of me getting stuff done that I want/need to get done, but I've got tomorrow off, so it could be a possibility.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Hi Pete & welcome back.
In regards to the how quick is 17:12 vs Geoff & Neil 18:35?
I would say considerably quicker, you can add on 1 hour for the ELL but then you have to take off around 10-15 mins for the T5 bit. Therefore I would estimate the new record is comparable to around 17:57 in old money.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Hi Pete

Good to hear from you after so long and hope all is well........

Looks like we are doing The Roads, Streets, Lanes, Avenues on Friday and I would be more than happy to team up if you like :?: I am using last years route which has 3 to 4 tricky little runs in, but I wont be busting a gut as it's too full of Xmas and New Year booze and food anyway :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Soup Dragon wrote:Hi Pete & welcome back.
In regards to the how quick is 17:12 vs Geoff & Neil 18:35?
I would say considerably quicker, you can add on 1 hour for the ELL but then you have to take off around 10-15 mins for the T5 bit. Therefore I would estimate the new record is comparable to around 17:57 in old money.
My estimate (quoted above) was with the Shoreditch replacement bus. With the "old" (Geoff and Neil) layout (Shoreditch trains, and original Heathrow loop open), I'd say that 17:12 today would correspond to more like 17:35-17:40 in "really old" money...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

If you arrived at Whitechapel, doubled back to Shoreditch, then went down one branch to New Cross/ New Cross Gate and back up to Whitechapel to continue on this would add approximately 41 minutes to your record rather than if you were to just carry on straight through Whitechapel. This time could be less if you entered the ELL at Whitechapel and exited at Canada Water (or vice versa). This 41 minutes added must have some time subtracted, which I'd say is around 10 minutes (8 minutes wait at HT4 and 2 minutes down to HT5) so you have 31 minutes added to the 270 stations time coming in at around 17 hours 43 minutes in old money (less obviously if you did the ELL in a quicker way).