Favourite station

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
James_#510
Zone 2

Favourite station

Post by James_#510 »

My favourite station is North Greenwich, because of the modern look, its appearance on TV and the fact that it is the furthest I can go on my normal travelcard (3-5).

Anyone else feel like sharing?
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
juggler
Zone 2

Well

Post by juggler »

As I said in the other thread I think mine is East Finchley. I do love Charles Holden's 1930s stations at Oakwood, Bounds Green, Arnos Grove, Turnpike Lane etc etc - he really knew something about striking architecture (apparently he was inspired by German architecture of the same period :shock: ).

The nice thing about the route I have planned for the tube challenge is that you get to see Oakwood station from the outside 8)
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Chesham.

Just because.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

Mine used to be Chesham too, because it was out of the way and only has the one platform! (plus it is my end station)
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Totteridge & Whetstone, because it has the most english name of any station on the network.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Chalfont & Latimer, I love the waiting room on a cold tube challenge morning, its always open with heaters full blast. I like the fact I've never missed any of my connections here as well.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Define "English".

You mean "a name which could only BE English" don't you?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

indeed. a place where they make scones & drink tea religiously at 3 o'clock ever afternoon.

it's just a great name.
juggler
Zone 2

Yes

Post by juggler »

Scrub what I said - Woodside Park it is... [skulks away in embarassment] :oops: I'm sure Totteridge and Whetstone is LOVELY
Last edited by juggler on 17 Aug 2005, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
barrykas
Zone 4

Re: Yes

Post by barrykas »

juggler wrote:But Totteridge and Whetstone should really be called North Finchley (because that's where it is) and it's a sh**hole of a place :cry:
Hardly...Last time I checked, Totteridge was still on the road linking Whetstone with Totteridge Village. I think you're thinking of Woodside Park, which is a short walk from Tally Ho Corner.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

My favourite stations:

Mornington Crescent (has an absolutely fantastic tile scheme)
Westminster (escalator hall - legendary; I once tried to reproduce it as an Unreal Tournament 2004 map)
Canary Wharf (the volume of the main hall is truly large)
Paddington (the run from H&C to the Bakerloo line, never backwards)

Least favourite:

Manor House (the tiles looked rubbish, so they replaced them - with the exact same rubbish matt colour scheme!)
Most Picc line outer reaches stations: they look ugly.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

i like royal oak and ealing broadway cos of the FGW hi speeders, they go mind blowingly fast and look cool and you can see them from both.

my favourite designs are fulham broadway and hounslow west though... they look fab, with those bannery signs and being half underground. i like barons court aswell for the same reason - interesting signs.

i would say chalfont for the waiting room but the bastards had switched the heater off on thursday.

my least favourite is high barnet, its just depressing. what is it, a train station or a bloody bomb testing field? hard to tell with all that razor wire. and that hill you have to run up from the bus stop could be used to defend a castle. evidently barnet council have not discovered STAIRS yet.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

CrunchySaviour wrote: Westminster (escalator hall - legendary; I once tried to reproduce it as an Unreal Tournament 2004 map).
i had thoughts about doing that with baker street station once, i dunno why exactly but the fact that it seems like there's no way out of it kinda means it'd work for UT
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

Zeibura wrote: my least favourite is high barnet, its just depressing. what is it, a train station or a bloody bomb testing field? hard to tell with all that razor wire. and that hill you have to run up from the bus stop could be used to defend a castle. evidently barnet council have not discovered STAIRS yet.
High Barnet is quite pretty, if you discount all of the barbed wire at the south end. The path is great for keeping fit. Actually I think it should be a rule in tube challenging that everone has to go up the hill rather than down it! http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenk1977/37950606/
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

I'm not sure about my favourite station, perhaps Clapham Common because of the little dome above ground, but my least favourite is definitely Gunnersbury; car parks, graffitti, metal. Need I say more?