Children in need day

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
palkanetoijala31

Re: Children in need day

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Going Underground wrote:
sven945 wrote:I may be able to do some helping if required. It does depend on any job situation. If I've not got one then I may be able to help for much of the day, but I may only be able to be around for the evening if I've got one by then.

Sadly I haven't got the energy (nor the geographical advantages that I had last year!) to do the full thing this time.
Jack that would be great, looking after my rucksack on the runs and maybe grabbing us some provisions would be great...... Hereby you are officialy claimed by team Brown / Scrivens :D :wink:
well i said to jack at least he can hold up the moor park train for us.And the Ken,s Rocking Reds party is so confident of victory :D that we dont need nobody to help us :P
palkanetoijala31

Dear Andi James

Thank you very much for your email of 30th July inviting the Mayor, Mr Johnson,
to attend your 'Children In Need' tube challenge event on Friday 14th November.
It has been referred to the Children and Young People's Unit. I apologise for
the delay in responding to you, which is due to the high level of correspondence
we have received since the election.

Regrettably, the constraints of the Mayor's diary make it impossible for him to
accept your invitation on this occasion. He has asked me to pass on his
apologies.

However, the Mayor applauds your fundraising efforts and hopes that the event is
a great success and is enjoyed by all.

Yours sincerely

There is the official response
palkanetoijala31

A few important details about the CIn day

Amersham first train departure at 05.25am All members of all parties to meet up at the station entrance at 5.10am 5.15am at latest.

For Gwr should any teams obviously beat the record (has anyone found out the ruling on 270 yet.?) then all teams will act as the starter of stopwatch for each other unless u have somebody to do it for u.

plenty of video will take place throughout the day at least at the start between all 3 parties certainly our team is going to do a lot of filming and will post on youtube afterwards.

For those of us getting acccomodation on thursday night there will be a meet up at the Saracens Head bar in Amersham the night before.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:A few important details about the CIn day

Amersham first train departure at 05.25am All members of all parties to meet up at the station entrance at 5.10am 5.15am at latest.

For Gwr should any teams obviously beat the record (has anyone found out the ruling on 270 yet.?) then all teams will act as the starter of stopwatch for each other unless u have somebody to do it for u.

plenty of video will take place throughout the day at least at the start between all 3 parties certainly our team is going to do a lot of filming and will post on youtube afterwards.

For those of us getting acccomodation on thursday night there will be a meet up at the Saracens Head bar in Amersham the night before.
I'll call Guinness tommorow as I have some other issues to discuss with them anyway about my claim. I may suggest Matt's idea just to see what they say :D
palkanetoijala31

Is that the idea that if anybody beats the World Record they get to spend the night with the women of their choice if so im going for Dannii Minogue.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

scrxisi wrote:My idea?
Of adding 30 seconds to the record.
palkanetoijala31

is this for real or is it a joke.?
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

scrxisi wrote:Sounds like a waste of time, bit each to their own.

On an unrelated note, can anyone drive me to Glasgow immediately after the challenge on Nov 14th?
Try Megabus- they have an overnight Victoria- Glasgow journey leaving at 2345 arriving in Glasgow at 0825. The ScotRail Sleeper up to Glasgow leaves at 2300 from Euston.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

joy54 wrote:
It has to be at least 10 minutes based on the fact that the new timetable means that you can't make the same connections at Hammersmith for final Piccadilly train that you previously could. 30 seconds is a crazy suggestion.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Very true that what is the result of this discussion Mr Karahan anyway :?:
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Soup Dragon wrote:
joy54 wrote:
It has to be at least 10 minutes based on the fact that the new timetable means that you can't make the same connections at Hammersmith for final Piccadilly train that you previously could. 30 seconds is a crazy suggestion.
Maybe your route is now 10 minutes longer but that is just bad luck. Timetables change regularly for better and for worse.

I think the existing 269 record should stand as the additional time caused by stopping at Wood Lane is negligible. I do not see the point in trying to add random amounts of time to the record for hypothetical missed connections that may or may not be made.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I'd disagree with Soup Dragon, purely because there's no reason that a team will be doing Paddington to Heathrow via Hammersmith as their last stretch. There's a myriad of different routes out there, and the timetable change may help just as many as those it's hindered.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Soup Dragon wrote:
joy54 wrote:
That was as a result of a timetable change coinciding with the opening of Wood Lane for better reliability not stopping at Wood Lane costs you 10 extra minutes, Wood Lane adds 30 seconds of travelling time and the timetable change that coincides with its opening means the connection is missed. Are we now suggesting that every timetable change that occurs we ask Guinness to adjust the record to account for that as well?

Just on the case of Guinness the transport records manager was not in today so I'll try again tommorow.
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

While you're at it, could you ask them if they'd add a few seconds to the 100m sprint record on days when I've got a bit of a bad leg? :-)
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Yes I agree timetables do change regularly, but the arrival at Hammersmith is different because of the additional stop at Wood Lane, therefore it is not a regular timetable change.
The stop at Wood Lane is not negligible because it makes connections at Hammersmith impossible which previously where possible therefore the difference has to be 10 minutes.
10 minutes is not a random amount of time, in my opinion it's the only sensible amount of time that you can add because the opening of Wood Lane has had no bearing on the Piccadilly Line, so to add 30 seconds would just be stupid.
One day I shall return!